Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which city deserves more time-Prague,Salzburg or Vienna?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 03:19 AM
Tom

Have ten nights to divide between 3 cities. I was leaning towards 3 nights each in Prague and Salzburg, 4 in Vienna...make sense? Tom

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 05:08 AM
Christina

There was a recent post on this very same topic, you might want to review those as I think a lot of people gave opinions. In my opinion, I would knock a day off Salzburg and add it to Prague. YOu could spend that much time in Salzburg but given those alternatives, I can't imagine why you would want to. I find it hard to give advice in a vacuum, I'll admit, as no one here knows your tastes or interests, if you explained why you wanted to spend 3 days in Salzburg, there would be more context and then I might say, sure, makes sense.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 05:27 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Tom, Are you driving? If so, you need to add 3 stops enroute. If not, Prague deserves the most time.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 05:42 AM
Art

Hi Tom, I agree with Bob the N. Prague deserves more time than Vienna. Have you considered Budapest? It is much closer to Vienna than Prague and is the most beautiful city in Europe, although it is much larger than Prague and would take more time. Salzburg could be done in 2 days as could Vienna.<BR>Regards<BR>Art<BR>

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 05:55 AM
Mary Ann

Hi Tom<BR>In my opinion, Prague (as they said above) deserves the most time. We spent 3 nights there and a 4th would have been nice. 2 nights are fine for Vienna, especially if the drive is shorter so that you have at least a full day and a half for sight seeing. Schonbrun is a little further out and is nice to take the time. Salzburg could also be done in 2. As regards Budapest, it is a lovely city and we enjoyed our visit, for 3 nights but we preferred Prague. It does make it convenient for trip organization with Vienna and Prague.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Bob Brown

I think 2 full days in Salzburg would be sufficient. If you go to the edifice called Heilbrunn, and take the water tour, you will get wet. The guides like to squirt people with the trick fountains. <BR>As for Vienna, I think it depends on your interests. Some people would not give a rip about seeing where Beethoven is said to have lived, or Mozart, or Freud. I was there 3 and a half days last year and it was not enough. <BR><BR>Quite a bit of my time is taken up with musical performances. I like opera and light opera, so this year I have 3 performances lined up at Die Volksoper. <BR>Also, I am meeting friends there, which will also take up time just visiting.<BR><BR>Another aspect of the visit is this:<BR>How hard do you want to pace yourself?<BR>I thought I had plenty of stamina, but last year on the afternoon of the 17th day of our trip, I hit the wall so to speak. Suddenly, seeing anything was no longer what I wanted to do at all.<BR>

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 09:26 AM
Tom

Thanks for your good advice. I really couldn't care less about seeing Beethoven or Mozart's home (shame on me). I just enjoy walking, sitting in outdoor cafes, looking at pretty sites, great restaurants, people watching. I just like to get a nice overview of a city without having a real structured agenda each day...just play things be ear once I arrive in the city. I think I'm going to rearrange: making 5 nights Prague, 3 nights Vienna and 2 nights Salzburg. I sure appreciate the helpful information. Tom

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Joe

Tom, I'd opt for extra time in Vienna. We visited Prague and Vienna in 1997. Prague is an interesting place and certainly worth visiting but imo it's largely snapshot sites. Walking over the Charles Bridge is enjoyable and the Castle is impressive, but they're not places to linger. Vienna, on the other hand, is more like Paris. It's a medieval city that was redesigned with vistas and grand boulevards in the 19th century. Great for exploring - - one street leads you on to another, and that leads you to a park or a cafe. I don't know from music, but I also liked the art museums, which are world class.<BR>Joe