Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which are in Rome would you chose to stay? Trastevere or Spanish Steps.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again. I am trying to chose a hotel. The options are Hotel Santa Maria ( in trastevere) and Hotel San Carlo ( by the spanish steps). Does anyone have input on these two locations? Which one the best location. Thanks again!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 05:41 AM

The Spanish steps area is more central to many sites and is a much busier part of the city.

Trastevere is a quieter neighborhood across the river from the center, although still walkable to sites if you enjoy walking.

If I were staying more than three days, I would choose Trastevere for it's quieter, neighborhood feel after a busy day in the center. For a shorter trip, I'd stay more centrally to make good use of the available time.

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 07:19 AM

I agree with ellen, and I'd add that I think the Spanish Steps area is better for a first time visit. When you return to Rome (and you will want to) you might choose Trastevere to get a little more feel for a neighborhood -- although Trastevere seems to be getting almost as touristy at night as much as the rest of Rome.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:49 PM

Just stayed at the spanish steps, on our 2nd trip to Rome and loved it. Trastevere is as busy and very touristy now and not as centrally located.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 02:11 PM

I agree with Ellen too. We stayed in an apartment in Trastevere in 2001 for a week and a half and loved it. It would be my first choice. But the Spanish Steps are more centrally located and would make it easier for you to get around to see the main sites if you are there a short time.

In June I'll be staying in the Camp de Fiori area which is just across the river from Trastevere... I do plan to spend time in that great neighborhood.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 02:23 PM
JonJon

If you want to be in "tourist central" then stay close to the Spanish Steps. If you are a person who enjoys a more "usual" neighborhood then stay in Trastevere.

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 03:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
One argument for staying in Trastevere would be that it is a wonderful neighborhood to walk around in in the evening to find a restaurant. During the day you could explore the rest of the city and in the evening there would be no need to travel far to go out or to get back to the hotel.

On the other hand, the Spanish Steps area has metro stations nearby, which Trastevere does not, and the connections for transportation to the rest of the city are better in that area.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 03:48 PM

I must be out of it but Trastevere doesn't do it for me!

We do go there during the day and walk thru it on the way to Porto Portese on Sundays, but the few times we've gone there for dinner ..we've been disappointed. It seems even more over run with tourists than those who say it is a "neighborhood" will admit.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 03:52 PM

Dang! Hit reply too soon!

For a first visit , I would go with Spanish Steps, Campo de Fiori, or Pantheon area...There are "neighborhoods" anywhere you stay.

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again! Everyone is great!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 04:26 PM

Have you considered staying in a place located between the two locations? I had the same dilema in 2000 with attemting to locate a hotel room in Rome during the Jubilee.

The Spanish Steps seems awfully touristy to me, although you will want to see them as part of your visit. I can't imagine staying in this area, after having visited it. The Trastevere is an area that I ended up strolling and dining in almost nightly while in Rome. Trastevere is about cobblestone streets, real roman resturaunts, and artists studios. It is within walking distance of the Vatican, and many of the recommended resturaunts in Rome on this forum. You can easily stroll to the Campo de Fiore and the Piazza Navona for dining and/or sightseeing. You can dine at some of the most authentic places in Rome for dinner and lunch.

I stayed at Delle Torre Agrentina @ C.so vittorio Emanuele 102, Roma. An old world hotel that is absolutely dependable. I don't think you could secure a bad room there. The location is simply the BEST.