Search

which airline? SYDNEY TO LONDON FEB 07

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which airline? SYDNEY TO LONDON FEB 07

I need to book my ticket-what airline would you suggest
My choices are VIRGIN ATLANTIC, GULF AIR & KOREAN AIR (INCL. STOPOVER IN SEOUL)
I will be flying economy SYDNEY TO LONDON in late FEB
thanks!
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 04:29 PM

Which one will give you the CHEAPEST FARE?
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

they are all relatively the same which is why I ask ($1600)
Thai & BA are $200 extra..is it worth it for the more "notable" airline?
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 05:15 PM

Are you talking Aussie dollars? Virgin with 1635.90 looks like a better deal than all the others (comes up as USD1244). Not bad - get it while it lasts.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Yes they are all AUD$1600 so i am wondering which airline to pick
korean or virgin atlantic?
Or if it is worth the extra 200 for a BA or THAI flight (stops in BKK o/n)

I am leaning toward to Korean flight, but I heard that for the first leg of the korean flight, there is no tv in the headrests, even though the website says ALL aircrafts have this...

Is BA or THAI all that better in quality & Service? It IS a 24hour flight after all
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 05:59 PM

Well, what exactly are you after - your first post does not state it - is it extra pampering, or money savings?

I have not heard anything that makes me believe Virgin is less comfortable than the others, but I have not flown with them. Why not post a question with exactly that wording in the header if that is what you are wanting to know?

Is a difference in comfort what is foremost on your mind, and you would be willing to pay more if somebody proves to you that you indeed get more comfort for your dollars on the others?

(Btw - I don't see Korean at anything like that fare - what dates and flights? I see a 19 hour stopover in Korea and a lot pricier fares only - better double-check).

I've done the trip many times, with Qantas, with Air New Zealand - both very nice, and with United via the US, not bad... (Don't get me started on BOAC in the old days...).

Yeah, it's a long flight, but you get into a zone - turn off that screen, read until you doze, doze until you have to shift your behind - the hours will go by and you get there, just chill out and stop looking at your watch...

See if United does you a deal if you fly via the US - getting a day or two to stretch your legs in LA or SF could be cool if it doesn't cost much more. You never know until you call and ask, don't trust the website alone.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Yes I know the korean fare is there. I have tried going via the US as I can get cheap flights..but it adds up roughly the same for a lot of extra hassle.
I dont know what im after, service, entertainment, comfort...
eg, the review i read for one of the airlines said broken headrest, armrests, tv screen did not work, crap food (to be expected) and rude service
i ust want a pleasant flight like i would get on a short haul flight
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 06:57 PM

Air New Zealand is meant to have the most room in economy. On this journey i think comfort has to be the first priority over cost
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 07:01 PM

I can tell you my experience on my Virgin Atlantic flight from this summer. It was pretty good. Better than my other flights as even I, sitting in economy, had a little amenity packet with earplugs, eye shades, and a toothbrush and toothpaste to use. Great for those long flights.

I can't speak for the flight you'd be on, but on my now comparably short cross-Atlantic flight in economy, I had headphones to listen to the movie on my own entertainment screen, and everything was in working order.

Personally and normally, I go with what will get me there with the least amount of hassels, and then look at price. Cheapest usually wins, but there's always a trade off involved. I will always pay for convenience, since there's usually not much comfort in economy/cattle.

Good luck!
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

flybob: AirNZ is $500 more so its not an option.
I am leaning toward Korean Air because of the overnight stopover...It suct the trip in half, so it might seem shorter than a direct 24hour flight
Thanks anyway guys
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 02:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having flown out to Australia in one go (3 hour stop in Singapore), and stopped over for 2 nights on the way back, I think I would always prefer the latter option when I do it again. I found the last 8 hours of the flight far, far worse than the first segment of the journey - the accumulated tiredness and irritableness made it very difficult.

A 24 hour stopover would be worth it IMO, although it is better on the way from Aus, as the time zones aren't so different.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 04:00 AM

Ignore generalising, subjective ratings like "crap airline" We're all crotchety after 24 hours or so in the air, so even the tiniest thing can make many people ratty. And one person's unacceptable horror will be someone else's minor nuisance that only real whingers could possibly get concerned about.

You're not going to "get a pleasant flight like on a short haul flight" even in Singapore First Class. So you must think hard about what matters to you: personally I can't understand why everyone worries about seat back TV, but I'd willingly pay lots of extra money for a few extra inches legroom on a flight this long. Be very wary of recommendations based on other people's values.

I'd suggest the issues that probably matter most are:
- legroom
- schedule convenience (in my experience, an evening Oz-UK departure, which feels like you're arriving in London the following morning, is a lot easier to cope with than a morning departure)
- return convenience (I assume you are returning. Personally, I always find the London-Oz flight more interminable than the Oz-London one, and actually find Oz-London in one go just fine)
- Airport experience. Stoppos at Singapore are usually fine. But even there, there's nothing you can do after about 1 am if your stoppo sticks you there for hours early in the morning. If there is a long stoppo, can you get access to a lounge? Otherwise, is it really worth spending hours at a horrible airport? These days, transiting through the US is so ghastly I wouldn't get an American plane if it were half the cost of a European or Asian competitor.
- Travel straight through. Getting off halfway doesn't halve the journey: it doubles the number of horrible airport experiences, and the amount of your life you waste on checking in, standing in security queues, hassling
with bags and travelling to and from airports. If you really want to see Bangkok or KL (or Seoul), fine. Otherwise, I've never found it helped much.
- Ample booze. Well, that's just me, but - whatever the health in the air people say - the time passes quicker and better comfortably lubricated with lots of Ozzie plonk. Commonwealth airlines understand this better than mainland Asian ones, IMHO

Think hard about what's really soured previous travel. Airlines absolutely aren't the same on this route.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Willit: So you agree that the korean airlines (o/n stopover in seoul) would be better than a direct 24hr?
I think thats the one im going to go for
flanneruk: I know it isnt going to be pleasant like a shorthaulm and the reviews were based on the service, food, and aircraft itself.
i've never flown more than 2 hours so this is a huge jump
the stopover in seoul isnt a detour in my trip, just what this airline does & it puts you up in a hotel next to the airport for the night
thanks guys
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 05:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
vinylcrocodile - I think it is all up to the individual. Were it my choice, and price was marginal, I would be tempted to do the 24 hour stop. I do agree with Flanner that it means yet more Airport problems, but to me, the chance to break the journey, and perhaps spend the day wandering around sightseeing would be preferable to 24 hours straight through.

I know I am probably in a minority here - many would like to "get it over and done with".
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 05:52 AM
chas

Have you looked at Emirates via Dubai? They have an extensive service to various parts of the UK from Sydney

Old Nov 19th, 2006, 06:00 AM

I would not go on such a journey in one go. I have been down under three times and always stopped off on the way there and on the way back. A site that may be of help in deciding which one to use:

http://www.westernair.co.uk/seatpitch.html

Old Nov 19th, 2006, 08:41 AM

It really doesn't matter much which way you do it - at this point. Whichever way you go, it's a long haul and you feel pretty done in at the other end. But until you have done the trip a few times, in different ways, you can't know which suits you better. By which I mean to say - go the cheapest way now, enjoy what's good about it (going someplace far away, that's the best for me everytime), then consider another way next time to have a means of comparison.

I agree with flanneruk - while you're at it, go all the way. That 19 hours in Korea (do they pay for your hotel?) means you have to immediately go on another really long trip when you've just come off one... Now if you took three or four days there, then carried on, that would be worth getting off in my experience. That's why I suggested going through the US, with a real break.

Anyhoo - have a good one!
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 08:53 AM

Hi, we're flying Auckland to Vienna shortly, chose Emirates, good price and down here, they have excellent reviews in all respects of service, leg room, entertainment, food, etc. Going straight through on the way there (over 32 hours travelling time) and stopping in Dubai on the way home for a little look.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Yes they pay for the hotel, I'd never do it otherwise! lol
And wouldnt your bags be checked through to london?
It arrives in seoul at 5:30pm and then the next legs leaves at like 1:15pm so you still have plenty of time to get some sleep, and breakfast, if you leave for the airport 2-3hours before hand.
I mean even if its only a good stretch of your body and stuff, its better than being seatbound for 24hours...If they didnt check your luggage all the way through then thats a different story! I imagine they would, though ill ring.
cheers
Emirates would be a great choice except it is $2200 as opposed to $1675
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Oh & ICN has the best reviews ever. Its named the "greatest airport in the world" lol
so even if i only see the airport, still cool experience. hehe =D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -