Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Still not decided.for family trip .help please !

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2016, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi ! Our family of four have a hard time deciding where to get next summer. We are two adults and we,ve got 2 young kids (4 and 8), We should have budget for 21-24 days (depoending of our destination of course). The only thing we would like to avoid is Scorching heat. We can live with some hot days (and in july there's gonna be some of them !) but we can't manage 21 days of temp above 90-95 degrees, that's why we've decided to avoid south of Spain and Italia.

Also we already been to Poland and Czech Republic 10 years ago and it was a great trip.

We've made a lot or reaserch about Germany which still a very valid option for us but we want to look at other options before booking our flight. Here's some ideas (of course we are looking to book only one of those idea !)

1) Round trip around Germany
2) Paris (already been there 15 years ago,,,long time !) and Britanny
3) Belgium and Netherlands
4) South of France and nothern Spain
5) Croatia and Bosnia

In fact we are looking for :
A) best quality-price trip
B) mix of fun for kids and interesting places for us (Museum, architecture and history)
C) Safe place

Of course we could get place with lower cost (Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria) but we are not sure that it's great place to go with young kids for the first long trip they do.

Thanks a lot !
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 05:27 PM

With 2 kids and wanting to avoid really high temps and not blow the budget I would do either:

Germany
Western german with netherlands and belgium
Western germany with Alsace and Luxembourg

Areas that might be really good with kids are the Rhine, Lake Constance, Black Forest, Strasbourg and Alsace

I would avoid southern France and Spain due to heat and mobs in the summer that can make for a lot of delays getting anywhere and kids may be cranky.

I think Lake Constance is esp good - lots of small cute towns, boat rides, bike paths and family activities. Also I would look at one or two of the european amusement parks that they might like - but be less full-on than Disney.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 11:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NYT gives good advice, Lake Constance can get busy and its prices tend towards the high for Germany and especially on the Swiss side (I end up there every other year or so)

Germany can be very good value. I wouldn't plan for lots of movement, partially it just costs a lot to move and secondly why drag the kids around when they may prefer a bit of stability.

I'd also look at the Mosel valley which is pretty good for kids, lots of swimming, canoeing, hiking etc.

I'd look at appartments to keep the prices down while increasing the space available.

You might also like the Berlin lakes area, or say along the Elbe river especially on the east german end (yes you can work that out with Google) where costs are lower than the old west german area.

If you decide to hit say Brittany/Normandy/Loire then I'd avoid August, outside of August you can do some good deals if booked now.

So my proposal would be three stops, North western France, Mosel and Berlin lakes.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 12:03 AM

Northern Spain would be my pick, especially for cost, or Belgium/Netherlands. I confess I have always wanted to visit the beaches of Belgium and haven't done so yet, but I would think with small kids it would be fun

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/20...eaches-secrets

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...d-1709883.html

But Germany has lots to offer and ticks all your boxes without qualifiers
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 12:43 AM

Belgian beaches are fun they are very big at low tide and quite small at high tide.

However we usually have one month of bad weather in summer. Sometimes July sometimes August.

We go to southern france ... Berlin can be very hot in summer (30+) C.
I'm too lazy to translate in F.

Northern Spain will definitely be cooler. Move been around Santander on east or Oviedo in west and loved it.

Mvg
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 12:49 AM

Southern france (east mostly for us) is usually above 30 c but rarely above 35c.

we never have AC but I don't want to start a debate on the topic jay check according to your habits.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 01:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Berlin CAN be hot, but OP has not yet given dates and the lakes keeps the air cool.

If you really want to stay cool then UK or Ireland is for you.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your answers !

For our dates , it have to be 21-24 days somewhere between july 7 and august 21.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 06:40 PM

The coastal part of Croatia is on the Adriatic and parallels Italy, so you can expect it to be just as hot as Italy in the summer months.
Old Jan 29th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Flights are bought ! Finally we will leave Montreal july 10 and we will arrive in Berlin (via Zurich) at 10 am july 11. The return flight will be at 10:40 AM august 4 From Luxembourg to Montreal (once again via Zurich).

We have 24 full days to plan, and it's very exciting ! I'm also thrilled that all the flights are with Swiss since i've read a lot of good things about them .

Thanks !