Where's the best fish and chips?

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 01:03 PM
chuck

Where's the best fish and chips?

Where's the very best fish and chips in all of Great Britain or Ireland??? I've been told that the best fish and chips can be enjoyed in a small city called Skipton, between York and Leeds in the mid-lands of England. I personally have had some really great fish and chips in a small Earls's Court Cafe, London. I'm about to head back to England, and would appreciate if you'al have any suggestions for the "very best" fish & chips throughout Great Britain or all of Ireland.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Jeanette

It is entirely a matter of personal opinion, but: Several times, during several different visits over the last 15 years, I have enjoyed the North Sea Fish Restaurant in Bloomsbury. I suspect many would also endorse this place.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Jo

The best I ever had in Britain or Ireland was at The Lizard, sitting watching the sunset. The tastiest I'd ever had, despite the plethora of salt!

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 09:48 PM
xxx

Jo, you don't think it may have been lizard and chips instead do you? Just kidding!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:55 AM
Keith

The chip shop in Inverbervie, just as you leave the town across the bridge heading north to Aberdeen. I had a very bizarre conversation with a couple originally from Aberdeen but who had moved to Canada whilst we were stuck in a Wendy's just south of Atlanta, GA because of a freak snow storm about 10 years ago...

Also the Ashvale in Aberdeen is supposedly pretty good - it's won quite a few awards.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Bob

We thought Shakespeares in London was very good. Almost as good as the fish and chips in Canberra, Australia

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Pat

Hi,
The best F & C in London is without a doubt, The Sea Shell on Lisson Grove. It is right around the corner from the Marylebone Station. I have been to Geales, The North Sea and the Sea Shell and I really like the Sea Shell. You can do take away or they have a restaurant. Evidence of how good it is can be found in the line of taxi drivers outside (they always know the best places to eat)
Enjoy
Pat

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Sue

I wlways go to the North Sea Fish Restaurant while in London - freshest fish I've ever had!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 11:56 PM
chippy

My best Fish and Chips ever (eaten out of their newspaper wrappings in the open air) were in the market near the docks in Grimsby -but its not exactly a tourist mecca. The Magpie Cafe in Whitby is very highly rated and Whitby is a lovely english coastal town, well worth a visit

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 02:38 AM
Vita

I agree with Pat about the Sea Shell. I wish I had eaten there earlier in my trip. I would have gone back every day!

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 08:52 AM
fishy

Try the fish & chip shop at Ocean Village in Southampton. Very large portion of fish and very tasty.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 03:16 PM
jay

Chuck,
Go with Keith's recommendation. I can endorse both places. Another place to try would be the cafe/restaurant in the main street in Bridge of Allan, just north of Stirling. Fish come in 3 sizes, small, medium and huge.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 04:38 PM
bill

Unbelievable that somebody would be concerned about the 'best fish and chips'. Is that why you are coming to the UK, to find the best chippy? Must say, does't take much to please you!

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 01:21 AM
yes

The Magpie Cafe in Whitby was recently voted the best in Britain. There's usually a big queue though. There is also a small shop that is supposed to have the best kippers too.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:46 AM
frank

Its a good question, as many fish & chip shops serve truly horrible food.In any area the best shop will be well known to the locals - people will travel for good f&c, its worth the trouble.So ask!
Many of the good ones also have sit-in.A good "fish tea" is sublime.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Lynn

Chuck,
Here's another vote for The Sea Shell Restaurant on Lisson Grove. We ate there in March and the fish and chips were wonderful.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 10:34 AM
steve lyon

Living in Lancashire I would have to recommend the Lancashire Fish and Chip Shops like the oft awarded Belfield in Burnley (but not the most attractive Town to visit despite the Pendle Hill Backdrop). The Red Lion in Disley, Cheshire is a great fish place including its traditional fish and chips. A Chef I know recommends a Fish and Chip shop in Comrie near Perth, I have not eaten there, myself, perhaps other readers know of it? Apparently its on the edge of Loch Earn and freshly fished fish moves quickly between the water and real 'dripping'.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 11:23 AM
mpprh

Hi

I endorse the Sea Shell in Lissom Grove.

But that is only one of the best in London.

The best fish and chips are on the coast, near a fishing port.

I've had better fish and chips in Morecambe, Folkestone and Grimsby than any I've had in London............. and much cheaper too.

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 05:01 AM
Virginia

Best fish and chips? I'd vote for The Old House in the hills near Bryn in South Wales.

The place has been in existence since about 1247; the atmosphere is fabulous, the portions are unbelievable and the quality is topnotch.

Reservations are not accepted, be prepared to sit in the bar and enjoy a pint while you wait for a table.

We're going back next month.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Katherine Mistilis

By far, the best is at Burdock's in Dublin, Ireland. It's only take-out but there's a wonderful church yard with benches and a park close by.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -