Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where would you go in July (possibly with Paris)?

Mar 4th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

I just got back from my 2nd trip to Paris (first as an adult), but my husband was unable to come with me. I am thinking of returning in the summer (July) and maybe pairing it with another city. London seems to be the easiest becuase of the Chunnel, but where else would you suggest I look into? I have always wanted to visit Italy, but maybe I should save that for it's own trip? Any suggestions would be wonderful as I am in the beginning stages of just looking around. Thanks so much
Mar 4th, 2007, 12:33 PM

This is a simple mantra "where am I coming from, how long am I staying, and where do I want to go?"

We can help you if those things are known. How does one answer a question about where to go when the length of time is not known?

How are your flying? What airline? etc...? Don't forget about the open jaw concept.

The Chunnel is pretty boring, given that the English still haven't gotten their act together.
Mar 4th, 2007, 12:39 PM

*I* would go to Turkey, but you are not me

How long is the trip?
Where are you flying from?
What's your budget?
What do you like to do on vacations?

You're going to get more questions than answers without more specific info
Mar 4th, 2007, 12:51 PM
ira

ditto
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

My husband will have about 8 nights, as for me, I can stay as long as I want as I am a teacher and have the whole summer off

We will be flying out of Boston. Budget is whatever I need it to be....not super expensive, but not super cheap either. I loved renting an apt. in Paris this past trip, so I would probably do that again.

As for what I like to do -- anything! I loved seeing all main tourist attractions in Paris (Notre Dame, Pantheon, Tour Eiffel, Louvre, etc..) I just loved soaking up the atmosphere and history. We usually take beach (Hawaii and Caribbean) vacations with a few US cities (Vegas, Seattle) long weekends thrown in throughout the year.

Thanks!
Mar 4th, 2007, 04:00 PM

we visited Normandy a few summers ago and fell in love with it. Felt like the time to visit the WWII sites weren't enough... close enough to Paris to not lose travel time, yet felt totally different in terms of atmosphere.
Mar 4th, 2007, 04:00 PM
ira

Hi BG,

>My husband will have about 8 nights, as for me, I can stay as long as I want ...<

So, you and DH will do 8 days in Paris and vicinity. He will go home. You can spend the rest of the Summer as:

1 week on the Loire
1 week in the Dordogne
1 week in Provence

When does school start?

Mar 4th, 2007, 05:59 PM

I would consider the weather. Are you bothered by the heat? Europe can be mighty hot in July.