Where would you go for Christmas?

May 30th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Where would you go for Christmas?

OK. My mother and I are planning a Christmas trip to Europe. We have to have a few days in London to see the Tut and China exhibits in place then, but having done some research Christmas itself in London seems problematic. The fact that all the museums, transport etc are shut down for two or three days isn't doing much for me.

We did Paris a few years ago and while I could go back my mother will probably want someplace else.

Suggestions? Is there someplce with basic food and trasport on 12/24-12/26 you would suggest? I thought about Rome or Florence?

Thanks!
May 30th, 2007, 05:36 PM

I'd opt for a country house holiday in the UK.

Try Plumber Manor in Dorset
May 30th, 2007, 06:26 PM

There's a new Dickens World indoor "amusement" park in Kent - I haven't been (don't shoot me for posting this) but it might be wonderful at Christmas. The website says it's open every day but Christmas day. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has been yet.
May 30th, 2007, 07:34 PM

Hmmm...Christmasy Christmas?

Leipzig- a friend of mine adores Leipzig, though he hasn't been there over christmas

Salzburg- my sister spent last christmas in Salzburg, she loved the christmas eve midnight mass- beautiful music, mozart

I love Strasbourg, but haven't been there at christmas

Prague and Vienna are popular christmas favourites

Or, what about Berlin? Larger and more cosmopolitan, might not shut down so completely over 24th-26th.

I don't think you can wrong with Rome or Florence, though. I'm pretty sure all musuems would be closed on the 25th, as would most restuarants, anywhere you go.
May 30th, 2007, 07:45 PM

We were in Rome for Christmas and many things were closed both the 25th and the 26th. We did love it, although we were unprepared for things being closed on the 26th. I think Salzburg is a great idea too.
May 30th, 2007, 07:57 PM

Brugges, Rothenburg, Bodensee, Munich?
May 31st, 2007, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!

Lots of good ideas. I had considered Salzburg and may do some research on that.

I also considered Greece, but the commute time is difficult.

Another option is to fly on Christmas Day to London. That means that by the time we really get going it will be the 27th and things will be open again!
May 31st, 2007, 06:09 AM

How about Turkey? Istanbul is a magical city and it's unlikely to be shut down at Christmas ...
May 31st, 2007, 06:13 AM

We will be in Salzburg for Christmas and Vienna for New Years Eve/New Years Day! I hope it's magical!!
May 31st, 2007, 06:14 AM

The period between Christmas and New Year would be a great time to visit London - you'd have the place to yourself. Most of us don't work in this period so there aren't the commuters and we tend to be arguing with our families rather than going into town.
May 31st, 2007, 06:21 AM

France is a good country to visit at Christmas because it is such a secular society that many places remain open. We had a wonderful Christmas in Nice two years ago. My trip report on that visit starts here:
http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/triprepor...id=950&index=2
Jun 6th, 2007, 11:58 PM
DAX

We've spent 2 christmases in Salzburg and really enjoyed it especially with the advent/christmas market and the snow intimate holiday celebrations throughout the old town.
Jun 7th, 2007, 03:28 AM

Brugge is a good idea, as many restaurants will be open on the holiday period. Plus it's a fairly easy shot via Eurostar (plus a Belgian train) to get there and you only have three days. You wouldn't have to waste time going to and from airports.
Brugge is a beautiful city and looks fabulous in winter. Don't count on any snow, however, you're more likely to get some cold rain. Many restaurants will be open (although not the best ones) as will cafes and lots of those will have fireplaces to relax by.
If you had more time, I would agree with the Salzburg rec or suggest Dresden. Seems like a lot of palaver to fly in and out of Rome for a 3-day excursion. Carol's suggestion of bumping your flight to Christmas day is also a good one.
Jun 7th, 2007, 07:19 AM
DAX

Just reread my post, looks like it was accidentally chopped off. It should have read: ....especially with the advent christmas market and snow covered baroque architecture. You will also find plenty of intimate holiday celebrations throughout the old town.
Jun 7th, 2007, 07:38 AM

DAX,

Do you have any recommendations for Christmas Eve or Christmas Day dinner in Salzburg?
Jun 7th, 2007, 01:22 PM
DAX

The traditional wonderful xmas dinner would be at the Goldener Hirsch. It has all the classic ambiance complete with old world arched ceilings.
A cheaper version of that would be at the Zum Eulenspiegel", loads of atmosphere for less, though I only ate there after christmas. We've also celebrated xmas at the Hotel Sacher restaurant with the view of old town just across the river from the hotel. It was expensive and good but nothing special. You should book xmas dinner as far in advance as possible. You can always cancell if you decide against it later.

Jun 7th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Thanks so very much DAX. I'll look into those choices now and see if we can book this far out! We'll be spending Dec 22-27 in Salzburg and Dec 28-Jan 2 in Vienna. Do you have any New Years suggestions for Vienna?
Jun 8th, 2007, 03:18 AM

Could you recommend any special restaurant in Munich for Christmas dinner?
Jun 8th, 2007, 01:49 PM

English countryside. Rent a tiny cottage somewhere really pretty witha good restauarnt nearby where you can get your goose/turkey, and with walks you can do in the crisp clear air. East Anglia or Yorkshire occur.
Jun 8th, 2007, 03:14 PM
jay

Rome. I is a great place to be for the Christmas week. We did Rome for 10 days and had alot of fun and actually saw JPII on christmas day. Also did a couple of daytrips.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO