Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to watch a Penn State game in Rome??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to italy in Sept., however my husband is not happy about having to miss the big PSU/Notre Dame game. Does anyone if there is a bar that would show US games? I know this is a longshot!! DOes anyone know if US-based hotel chains usually have satellite TV? Thanks..

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 05:28 PM

The hotels and apartments I've stayed in always had a few English channels, but it was always CNN (based in the UK though, not the same as the US version) and maybe a movie channel or two. I think your best bet would be to see if there is a broadcast online and bring your laptop...or wait to watch it until you get home.

Have a good trip!

Margy
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 06:47 PM

My husband is a ND graduate and AVID fan of IRISH football. He says "that if he's remembering rightly" Notre Dame has a school of architechiture in Rome. A google search might tell you if this is true. Good luck! We'll miss 3 games ourselves while in France for 3 weeks in September. We even gave up tickets to the Michigan game. Ouch!
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 07:11 PM
twk

I think the only ways to see college football in Europe are (1) to have access to the Armed Forces Network--if they happen to be carrying the game--which the general public can't manage, only military personnell; or (2) over a PC using a slingbox.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 07:28 PM

kjenn- try Abbey Theater, a local sports bar of some repute among American college students in Rome. It is near Piazza Navona and also across the narrow street from the famous Roman pizzeria, Da Baffetto, at Via del Governo Vecchio 114. The staff is very accomodating to American sports fans.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 07:39 PM

kjenn-

We had the same issue last year for the Penn State/Michigan State game. We were in France and watched the game over the internet from the hotel. Check the PSU website http://www.gopsusports.com
as we get closer to the game for updates re: where to find game. Go Lions!!
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all! I will be checking out all of your suggestions right now!
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 08:59 PM

I'm a recent ND alum and yes, ND does have a year-long architecture program in Rome and a study abroad in Rome at John Cabot University in Trastavere I believe. If you would want to hang around that area you might find local bars that ND students are at ... we all did that in London to watch the ND games.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 08:12 AM

Well, relieved to know that my husband's memory is better than the "credit" or lack thereof, that I often give him. Then again, he rarely forgets that which he really wants to remember, and his days at ND are unforgetable!
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 08:32 AM

I can't really add much to this thread, but I can't resist... "WE ARE... PENN STATE!!!"

Actually, now that I think about it, I may have a suggestion. One of my roommates from Penn State spent a semester in Rome. If all the other great suggestions you've gotten don't pan out, perhaps you could try to find out where current Penn State students studying in Rome are living? I bet it would be a blast to watch the game with Penn State students. Good luck!
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 09:06 AM

Every place in Rome will have the game on TV -- didn't you know? Oh, wait a minute.... I meant Rome, NY. You want Rome, Italy?