Where to visit in UK?

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 09:28 AM
Joe

Where to visit in UK?

We will be visiting Paris and London at the end of September/beginning October. Once we're finished with Paris and London, we have 4 extra days. Where else would you recommend in either England or Scotland for four days? We enjoy the scenic beauty, quaint antique shops, romantic inns vs. visiting museums or castles. Thanks for your advice.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 09:45 AM
peg levy

i answered your reply before seeing this. Don't go to Florence. You would be much happier in Scotland or The Netherlands. Castle in Edinburgh is worth the trip,even though they all start to look the same after a while. It's the only one I'd do.
But my first choice would be going to Amsterdam. Amsterdam is very romantic. The Canal House was an excellent choice for a place to stay. Very romantic and full of antiques. It's a B&B that is in walking distance to many shops. Just around the corner from Anne Frank's house. (Although we didn't make it there.)

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 09:58 AM
David White

Joe,

How about York? The facinating walled medieval city is 2 hours north of London by rail. The York Minster (cathedral) is one of the best in the UK; the town is very walkable and enjoyable. From York, you could easily rent a car and do a quick tour of some of the Yorkshire countryside to get a dose of scenic beauty and quaintess.

Another possiblity is to go to the Lake District..the scenery is unsurpassed.

A tour through the Cotswolds will get you more quaint villages and nice scenery than you can imagine. It has the advantage of being reasonably close to London too.

Guess there must be dozens of "good answers" to your question. Enjoy your trip, wherever it takes you.

David White
www.KidsToLondon.com

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 11:10 AM
Harriett

I would strongly recommend the Cotswolds. WE stayed in a village called Bradford-on-Avon, at a b&b called Priory Steps, a series of old weavers' cottages high about the town. It's a lovely place (both Priory Steps & the town) and, as I recall, is within reasonable driving distance of London, Bath, and Salisbury -- and maybe Stonehenge? We also stayed at a great small hotel called Three Ways House in Mickleton, another Cotswold village, and would definitely stay there again. E-mail me if you want more information.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 12:06 PM
Stephen

I would suggest Berkley Castle. That is where King Edward II, a fervent afficianado of male friendships, was killed upon being jailed by his wife, the queen's, boyfriend. He was literally killed by being burned to death internally by a red hot poker. Honest truth. Read Thomas Costain's boo THE THREE EDWARDS for a more graphic description.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 12:21 PM
Ken Horn

Joe- Different strokes for different Folks. I just returned from Paris and the south of England 2 weeks ago. If you like the action of the big cities
(Paris/ London) the Cotswolds will bore you to death. (I've made my one trip.)If you really do like the quaint small town atmosphere try Chipping Camden, Lower Slaughter, Broadway, and the 3 towns recommended by R Steves of Stanway, Stanton, and Snowhill. (I skipped Snowhill- The first 2 were plenty.) These are all in the Cotswolds.
It would be best if you rented a car to get to them if you plan on staying overnite. Bath was like a mini-London. You might want to stay in London and day-trip to places like Bath, Brighton, and some of the castles. And I would second the vote for Amsterdam if you've never been there.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 12:57 PM
lisa

I agree that Amsterdam is easy to do from London -- flights are short and inexpensive -- I did it as a 4-day trip and that was a perfect amount of time.

If you want to stay closer to London, I liked both Bath and Cambridge very much.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 04:06 PM
Kay

Just got back from 2-day stay in the Cotswolds out from London. The villages such as Lower Slaughter are picture perfect. I must admit they do tend to start to look the same after the first few. We went to walk so we used the train to Moreton-in-Marsh and from there walked the 8 miles to Chipping Camden through fields of sheep and past fences of blackberries. Took the bus back. Another trip was bus to Stow-on-the-Wold then walk down through the Slaughters to Bourton-on-the-Water, then bus back. Taxi services were also available. Several of the towns had antique shops. We just stayed at a basic B&B so it might not be the romantic inn you want.