Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stop for 3 days between Frankfurt and Salzburg for charm and Christmas Markets

Search

Where to stop for 3 days between Frankfurt and Salzburg for charm and Christmas Markets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a ten day trip to Germany and Austria for the market season. I had hoped to fly in to Munich using miles and depart from Vienna but Delta only had Frankfurt available for my inbound flight. I will be traveling with my husband and my 78 year old mother, who has a bit of a mobility challenge.

It appears that other than a flight (with the inherent weight limitations on baggage) there is no easy stop off point between Frankfurt and Salzburg. I am hoping not to have to change trains and was also hoping to avoid train rides over 3 hours.

Our original itinerary was Munich (3 days), Salzburg (5) and Vienna (3).

Can anyone suggest a pretty town or small city for our first three nights that will be easy access from Frankfurt airport and headed in the general direction.

Heidelberg is a possibility but the train to Salzburg is 5 hours and this is more than we wanted for such a short stay.

Thanks!
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 06:08 AM

What about going to Munich awyway? It's a direct, 3 1/2 hour train right from the airport. (I realize you said nothing over 3 hours, but it's close.) Based on next Sat (for a random day), there are trains every 30-60 minutes.

Paul
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 06:08 AM

I think that the major train route to Salzburg from Germany is through Munich. It may be impossible on the second leg not to transfer at the Munich Station.

Assuming that you are willing to transfer in Munich on the second leg, Nürnberg (Nuremberg) has a large Christmas Market and is near the mid-point in your journey. It is about 2:30 to Nürnberg from the Frankfurt airport and about 3 hours (via Munich) to Salzburg.

If you could make a couple stops, it would open the opportunities. You could stop in Würzburg (1:30 train ride) for a day or two, in Munich (2 hr train ride) for a couple days and then onto Salzburg for 4 days (1:30 train ride). There many combinations that would work with a stop in Munich.

Regards, Gary

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

We are definitely not interested in a lot of stops as this would be too taxing for my mother. We are going to base in 3 places max and do visits from those.

Looks like going on to Munich might be best. I assume the direct connection from Frankfurt airport is from the long distance terminal so will check that.

I have visited Munich several times and was looking for an alternate destination with a nice market and enough to keep us busy for a few days. but, if we have to transfer via Munich, it will make for too long a day. We already have to make a connection in Atlanta from Orlando and have a 6 hour layover so less is better.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 07:16 PM

From Frankfurt you can go to Würzburg, Nürnberg, Regensburg, Mühldorf, then Salzburg. You could do a little detour to Passau between Regensburg and Mühldorf. This might not be the fastest way, but if you wanted to avoid Munich...

Another great detour along that route would be Burghausen (www.burghausen.de) - great castle.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

Just to clarify, I do not wish to avoid Munich - I love this city - but was looking at an alternative for the first night perhaps or even to Munich altogether since we have been there before. My goal is to make arrival day as pleasant as possible rather than face a 3.5 ride when we get there, already tired and jet lagged.

thanks.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:19 AM

With regard to your last remark, I would second GaryMc's suggestion of Würzburg.

You can go from Frankfurt Airport's long distance railway station every hour to Würzburg, without changing trains en route.
The city itself is quite charming, esp. the Residenz with its famous staircase (which is part of the UNESCO world heritage), the old town, the castle etc.
You can sample the local Franconian wines there, and the altogether atmosphere is quite different from Munich.
IMHO, Würzburg is nicer and "more historic" than Nuremburg - but personal tastes can differ. The Christmas market in Nuremburg is more famous, but can also be very crowded.

Going from Würzburg (or most other places that have been mentioned) to Salzburg means changing trains in Munich Central station. Since you have been to Munich, you probably remember that it is a terminus with long platforms. If you are in doubt that your mother will be able to walk these distances, you could ask your hotel in Würzburg (or any place you stay before heading to Salzburg) to call the "mobility center" of Deutsche Bahn one day in advance (only available in German, phone +49 180 551 2512) to ask for assistance. They can arrange for a transfer with a motorized cart (I seem to lack the proper phrase.. the same carts you find at airports to shuttle disabled or elderly people) or by wheel chair from the arrival platform to the Salzburg train. Obviously, you need to give them the dates, and train and seat reservation ## before arriving in Munich.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Great advice and thanks so much! I can manage in German (went to University in Salzburg) so that is a great option.