Search

Where to stay with family in Rome?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay with family in Rome?

Checked expedia and venere, however just
wondering if anyone has a great recommendation. Four people including two kids, looking for pool and close to town.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pam, are you staying in Rome for your entire visit to Italy? If it were me, and if I were also visiting the countryside a bit, I would gladly trade the pool for a central location in Rome. It is so wonderful to just step outside your hotel and have cafes and shopping and interesting historical sites just around the corner. We stayed at Canali ai Coronari in two connecting rooms and had a wonderful time (but I'm not sure about AC there and of course that would be a necessity for you.)
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 08:30 AM

there is no pool at Canali ai Coronari but great location. Ever considered an apartment?
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 08:39 AM

The most "central" hotel with a pool is the Esedra, near Termini. It certainly isn't right in the centro storico and neither is it cheap. A few hotels on the far side of the Borghese Gardens have pools, like the Parco di Principe but they also expensive and more out of the way than the Esedra.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 09:23 AM

Pam,

The nicest area to stay (and the most central & convenient) would be the Centro Storico district - the Pantheon area and points east toward Piazza Navona and Campo dei Fiori.

Unfortunately, almost all the buildings, including the hotel buildings, in the Centro Storico were built prior to 1700 (or even centuries earlier) and don't have pools like more modern buildings.

Maybe the swimmers could get in some extra swimming before and after the trip. Would swimming at an off site pool or giving up swimming for your time in Rome be an option?

If so, I and many others here can recommend many great hotel and apt. options.

If the swimming pool is critical, then hopefully some others on this board can help you.

BTW, what is your lodging budget?
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

We would consider other hotels and or apt's and for go the pool. Looking to
spend $400 CDN, (300 US)
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Please excuse me for being dense/clueless.
I'm still not clear - is the pool optional or a requiremnt??
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 11:50 AM

I think the Boscolo Palace on Via Veneto has an indoor pool, belonging to a DIBI centre (beauty centre). I am not positive you can access it at your leisure, or if you can access it only if you buy a beauty pass including other treatments...
For sure the Jolly Midas Hotel has got a outdoor pool but I am not that fond of its position on the Aurelia...
There is also the ES hotel which has a pool and it is pretty central, but for God sake, this hotel has such an "essential" and bare style... unless you're into the ultra ultra modern lines....
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 11:51 AM

There is also the Hilton Cavalieri, near Monte Mario and Piazzale Clodio. Beautiful hotel but on top of a hill and not connected directly with any bus, unless you reach piazzale clodio where you can take a bus....
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 11:59 AM

I just figured it out: "forego".

Casa di Santa Brigida
http://www.brigidine.org/ENG/italia_roma.htm

Albergo Santa Chiara
http://www.albergosantachiara.com/

Apartment (others at same website)
http://www.romanhomes.com/vacation_r...star/julia.htm

Old Aug 12th, 2005, 03:30 PM
jgg

I suggest you forgo the pool, as you stated, and try to stay centrally located, either near the Pantheon or Piazza Navona.

We stayed right near the Pantheon at the Albergo Cesari (www.albergocesari.it). We were in their quad room with our two kids (age 9 and 12). It is a large room, with a pretty good size bathroom as well. It fits right into your price range. It has a good breakfast, and most importantly has an EXCELLENT location. We were so central to everything!
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank all for the advice. We looked at the Albergo Cesari (looked nice) but sold out! We were lucky at got
a room at the Exedra (230 euro w breakfast) quite surprised. Besides the stress, some benefits to last minute booking.