where to stay outside Florence

Jan 5th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

where to stay outside Florence

My husband and I are looking for places to stay outside of Florence. Our trip starts in Venice, go to Lake Como, then Milan, then we have 3-4 days in the Florence area before we go to Rome. We would like to stay outside of florence with easy access to public transportation into Florence. We will have a car and use that for day trips to countryside. We would love to hear some suggestions. Thank you.
Jan 5th, 2013, 09:40 AM

Fiesole fits the bill - it's in the hills just above Florence, which is a 30 minute bus ride away.

nice restaurants, a roman amphitheatre, easy access to the area around Florence - ideal.
Jan 5th, 2013, 09:49 AM

I've stayed twice in Lucca and it would fit your criteria. The second time I rented an apartment which was much nicer and there seem to be more nice apartment options there than hotels for some reason.
Jan 5th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Any recommemdations on hotels in Fiesole?
Jan 5th, 2013, 06:50 PM

Firesole is served by the hop on hop off also.. We stayed in the Florence area at a Hilton.Since you have a car there is good free parking and a frequent shuttle to/from the center of the city...also very convenient but Fiesole has more character..Interesting Della Robbia museum there and the Ruins are both Estruscan and Roman.Again very interesting!!Can't comment on driving there as we avoided it by our choice of hotel.
Jan 5th, 2013, 07:04 PM

We drove from Rome to Florence often and stayed "outside" the ZTL zones in this great little B&B, which has parking.

Villa Antea
Via Puccinotti, 46 (Firenze)
Tel.: +39 055 484106
Fax.: +39 055 484539
E-mail: [email protected]

This luxuriously appointed Villa Antea was built in 1887 by the great grandparents of the young lady who now owns it. The villa is located in one of the city’s most charming neighborhoods. It's only six rooms, but our shower was big enough to play racquetball in! See: http://www.villaantea.com/
Jan 5th, 2013, 07:29 PM

If your reason for staying outside of Florence is the car, consider the Hilton Garden Inn in Florence. It's not in the ZTL and has parking. It's an easy 10-15 min. bus ride to the center of the old town. Last bus back is around midnight but I was pretty exhausted by then. You could always take a cab.

Not gorgeous views but I was staying free on points. Grocery store for wine and snacks across the street by the bus stop.

I dropped my rental car a couple of blocks away upon arrival and picked up a new one 4-5 days later upon my departure from Florence.
Jan 5th, 2013, 07:33 PM

Maybe the Garden Hilton doesn't habve a shuttle anymore but they did when we stayed there..check it out!!! Dropping the car sounds like agood idea if you are going to be there long enough and if it can save some$$ which you can then spend on Gelato!!!
Jan 5th, 2013, 07:38 PM

BTW, HGI bed is a sleep number bed and the shower head was a wonderful big rain shower head... didn't want to get out of the shower!
Jan 8th, 2013, 07:10 AM

I think to stay outside Florence is the best choice, since all distances in Tuscany are close and you can get in the city in a very short time.
If you want to avoid to use your car you have to choose a hotel near a train station.
I suggest you should consider http://www.monsignordellacasa.com which is located in Borgo San Lorenzo, twenty minutes away from Florence. There is also a nice panoramic train to reach the city from there. This area is called Mugello and it is still untouched fro tourism but sooo beautiful and green and full of animals. Few steps away from the most known city, isn't it incredible? have a nice trip.

Search this Thread