Where to Stay on my Upteenth Time in Rome and Second in Monti District

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year I stayed at the Hotel Artorius on Via del Boschetto which was a fabulous area but the hotel was only so-so. This year I plan another trip, this time in June, and definitely want to be in the Monti area but may choose a different place.

So I have a choice of being in two areas close by but I wonder whether "those in the know" of this area will be able to give me some insight into whether they are as nice and quaint as Via del Boscheto,.

Via di San Martino ai Monti, where I can have a lovely apartment or Piazza Viminale 5 where I can have a large room for three.

Any urgent help is highly appreciated, I need to make a decision soon.
Grazie mille !!
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 11:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry I can't help you Flame. the first time we went to Rome we stayed in a lovely apartment just round the corner from Via del Boschetto which is just as you describe; I don't know the other streets.

The next time we stayed in an apartment in a little street near the Via del panico near the piazza Navona. It was a completely different area but had the same "quaint" atmosphere [and it has to be said was somewhat more convenient for exploring the centre of the city].

I would happily stay in either area again, if I had the opportunity.
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ann. Can you give me a link to that apartment near Via del Boschetto? Was it a long time ago?
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 11:51 AM

sorry, flame, it was a very long time ago - at least 10 years. I've looked for it but it doesn't seem to be available any longer.

This one is in the same street but it's definitely not the one we rented:

https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p1558735#photos

I also found this one, which has the same sort of terrace that ours had:

https://apollohotelrome.reserve-onli...LLOROME/APTVDS

Airbnb has one: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/501912

finally this one:

http://www.romeloft.com/293-monti-rome-apartment/

good luck finding what you want.
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 11:52 AM

[PS - have you seen Jamikins' recent thread about a weekend in Rome? - they rented what looks like a very nice apartment in Trastevere which is another area I would very much like to stay in]
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 11:54 AM

Here's the link:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...nd-in-rome.cfm
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 01:51 PM

Might help if you posted links to the actual apartments. Have you looked on Google Street View at the streets themselves?

Also, I personally have had good experiences using the Rome Loft agency when I rent apartments in Rome. Perhaps you have already seen these, but here is a list of the rentals they handle in Monti (I have no personal experience in staying in any of them)

http://www.romeloft.com/accommodation/rione-monti/
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandra. But you do have experience with the agency, correct?
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 10:47 PM

Stay away from viminale, not a nice area at all. San martino monti is nicer, closer to the "action", there is a hotel (which i don't think is good), two trattorias, an irish pub - but somehow it never gives me a good feeling, it is a narrow and dark street - depends on how the apartment is, i guess. I like the part of monti that is below that - via in selci, via urbana, piazza degli zimgari; or even further the area between boschetto and fori imperiali...
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you vinoroma. I have appreciated your help in the past as well. Do you have any suggestions for a hotel or apartment in the areas above that you mentioned?
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 12:23 AM

Flame123,

Yes. I've rented from Rome Loft and so have several members of my family, all with happy results.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

So I have not found any apartment that I like in my searches this morning and so I am asking you now whether the Mok'house B&B on Via di San Martino ai Monti would be a good place to base for 4 nights. We can have a HUGE apartment there, much bigger than what we need, but that is all they have left and the price is decent. It seems somewhat far away from the Via del Boschetto where we were last time but I am basically asking whether the neighborhood and area, still considered in Monti, will be similar........, i.e. quaint shops, little bars, good restos, etc.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 06:26 AM

I stayed here a few years ago and liked the apartment and location

http://www.citiesreference.com/en/rome/apartment/238
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 08:02 AM

Sorry, i don't have any concrete suggestions. There is a hotel (ivanhoe?) on via urbana that looks decent from the outside? On san martino monti there are no quaint shops (off the top of my head i have one maternity clothes shop, one professional kitchen equipment shop, a strange design/art shop, a bakery (not a good one), an irish pub and a trattoria (not good). But if it is your only option now, amd the apt itself is noce, go for it - it really is not far from boschetto!
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 09:21 AM

Hi Flame - we stayed in the same apartment as jmmct714 last July and absolutely loved it. Sadly it is not available for our dates this year otherwise we would be back in a heartbeat. Good luck with your search
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 10:18 AM

Goodness, my wheels are turning thanks to the apartment linked to above!!! We stayed in a Monti apartment last year on via Leonina. We're headed back for just two nights in May. I have a reservation at Hotel de Monti that I feel lukewarm about, but I didn't figure an apartment was worth it for just two nights, especially since many require a longer minimum stay. But the Cities Reference apartment has me rethinking this, as we really prefer apartments over hotels.

For those of you who have rented the apartment, were there any extra fees? Was checking in/out relatively painless? Any other thought on just a two night stay?
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 10:44 AM

Ugh. Never mind. They do have a three night minimum. That and I read the calendar incorrectly and it's booked those nights anyway!

Happy hunting, Flame!
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

So I have just picked up my plane tickets and now I really must get to the item of the apartment/hotel. I have a really great option on that street but I am worried about whether it will be as nice as Via del Boschetto. I tried the apt. you recommended jmct but it is not available for my entire stay (missing one day). I cannot find others on their site that are really in the old Monti area (not willing to be close to colosseum) except for one or two that are like 5th floor with no elevator. ANy other ideas people?
Thanks so much !!
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 12:38 PM

You'd need to post the list of places you've already rejected, and then state what your budget is. There must be 4 or 5 hotels either right on the via del Boschetto or one street over. Have you done a Google search for "via del Boschetto Rome Italy" and then used the Google map to search for "nearby hotels" -- ? You will come up with some apartments that way too.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 02:42 PM

Hi Flame

I tried sandralist's suggestion above, and of course, we were down the rabbit hole on an internet search.

I ended up at your former hotel on via del Boschetto on Booking.com. When I clicked on the map on Hotel Artorius's page, up popped several hotels and apartments in the area.

I hope this is helpful. I did it because I needed some distraction and because I wanted to learn more about the Monti area. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -