where to stay in Rome this October

Aug 19th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

where to stay in Rome this October

My husband and I are looking for a place to stay in Rome at the end of October. We would love to stay near the Spanish Steps, if possible. We are looking to spend under $200/night and are willing to stay in a hotel or b and b. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Aug 19th, 2009, 05:41 PM

Look here and at tripadvisor for the Hotel San Carlo.
www.hotelsancarloroma.com I haven't stayed there, but based on past research, if I had your budget and wanted to stay near the Spanish Steps, it would be high on my list.
Aug 19th, 2009, 07:36 PM

The San Carlo looks good, but its website quotes 188 euros a night for a standard double. Sadly, that's well over $200 a night at today's exchange rates. Unless a miracle occurs in the next several weeks, you'll need to spend less than 145 euros a night to stay close to your budget. That will be a challenge in the area of the Spanish Steps.

How many nights will you be in Rome?
Aug 19th, 2009, 09:15 PM

Hi

I'm not sure I can recommend a hotel but my wife and I went to Rome a few years back and we made this trip report with pictures http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there to start with

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Aug 19th, 2009, 09:37 PM

I think Hotel Julia will meet your price criteria. I was happy with it, but read the reviews and see if it's what you want.
Aug 20th, 2009, 03:13 PM

good correction on the San Carlo, for the dates in late October, the hotel has its peak rates.
Aug 20th, 2009, 06:23 PM

elaine, I think the bigger problem is the exchange rate. I walked passed a cambio today at lunch, and they were selling euros at $1.52. Yikes.
Aug 21st, 2009, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. We will be in Rome a total of 4 nights. We found a cute looking place called The Art and Relax Suites, but it's near Termini. Has anyone heard of this place? I know the Spanish Steps is a better area. But, is it that bad to stay near Termini? Is it safe to walk back from the Termini train or subway station to our hotel at night? I'll be traveling with my husband. We are trying to decide a nicer hotel in Termini vs. a lesser hotel near the Spanish Steps.
Aug 21st, 2009, 12:11 PM

The Tremini area is really iffy.I would not stay in that area again.Really lots of shady characters lounging around.

Check out hotels in the Pantheon,Piazza Navona and Campo di Fiori area.Have you checked out tripadvisor and venere? They both have maps that will help you find a place in a nice area. I prefer the Campo di Fiori area over anywhere else.
Aug 21st, 2009, 12:13 PM

Why are you limiting yourself to Termini vs. Spanish Steps? IMO, the SS is not the most ideal place to stay in Rome - perhaps you should also be considering hotels near Piazza Navona, Pantheon or Campo di Fiori, etc. Do a search using those keywords - there are many options that are in your price range.
Aug 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM

I just went to tripadvisor and checked out hotels in the Pantheon,Campo di Fiori,Piazza Navonna areas. There are many in your price range and by far this area is the area I like best in Rome.I don't even like the Spanish Steps area,to noisy and The Tremini area is a great place to get mugged.I have stayed near the Termini and would never stay there again.
Aug 21st, 2009, 12:59 PM

Hotel Panda gets good reviews for a budget hotel in that area. And you should check Nicholas Inn.

I would take a look at Daphne Inn and Daphne Veneto also if you do not require a full service hotel.

I like the area near the Borghese/Via Veneto personally.

I would not stay near Termini. Utterly charmless IMO and so many better options.

If you are open to Trastevere, look at Arco de Lauro B&B.
Aug 21st, 2009, 01:00 PM

I would go to www.venere.com - you can enter your dates and sort by area - also has reviews - that should get you started with what is available. Temini is not my favorite area but almost anywhere is Rome you need to be a little vigilant esp. for tricky pickpockets. Its their job and they are good at it!
Aug 21st, 2009, 01:01 PM

Also the San Anselmo might have rooms in your range. Shop around on the various sites and check Tripadvisor.com for the most reviews.
Aug 21st, 2009, 01:01 PM

If you are willing to consider an apartment you could probably find quite a few options in your price range
Aug 21st, 2009, 03:00 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Mozart near the Spanish Steps (down an alley) a few years ago. It was very nice and I would recommend it if you want to be in that part of town. Last summer we stayed at the Residenza Canali near Piazza Navona and while the hotel was not as nice as the Mozart, I liked that location much better. If you pay the Residenza Canali in cash they give you a discount. One negative about RC is it does not have an elevator - don't know if that matters to you.
Aug 21st, 2009, 04:13 PM

Check out vrbo.com. I rented and apartment for the first week in October for 790 euros. They have listings all over the city. You can rent an apartment for various time lengths. I went this route based on other fodorite's success with this process.
Aug 21st, 2009, 04:39 PM

michelle,

On my last visit, I stayed at Hotel Giardino Rome, a 2**. It's not at the Spanish Steps, but I've never seen what the big deal is about that particular sight anyway....

Great location, about a 5 min walk to the Trevi, 15 min to the Coliseum, between Trajan's Market and the Quirinale.

Cosy, quiet, good AC, low water pressure as in many old buildings. Great owner, Katy, and staff, extremely helpful and welcoming. Answer e mails quickly. Streetside rooms have double paned windows and this normally light sleeper slept like the dead.

Back then, my single size room was 95E per night in Sept with breakfast.

Hope this helps. Buon viaggio!
Aug 21st, 2009, 07:36 PM

We love the Due Torri, between the Piazza Navona and the Tiber river, on a tiny quiet cul de sac. Small rooms, but elegantly appointed, AC, minibar, good beds, some rooms with terrace and balconies. Wonderful staff. Great location. We paid 185 euro--well worth it. Good breakfast also.
Aug 21st, 2009, 07:39 PM

Their other hotel is Fontanella Borghese, nearer the Spanish steps, also very nice. May be just out of your price range (around 200 euro), but tourism is slow this year, it's worth checking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO