Where to stay in Rome?

Search

Where to stay in Rome?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Rome?

What is a good area to stay in Rome? I'm thinking that perhaps near The Spanish Steps - Trevi Fountain - or the Colosseum, might be good and use public transport to get to the Vatican etc or would the reverse be better?

This is my first trip to Rome so would really enjoy being able to leave my accommodation and stroll to nearby restaurants and activity. Obviously, I want to see St Peters etc but this is not a religious sojourn as such.

Rome just seems so spread out when I look at the map and I am a little bamboozled about where to stay. I do not have a problem with commuting on trains or buses etc. but don't want to waste precious time doing so either.

I am so excited about this trip - when I was about 13 years old and I would wash my hair with Revlon shampoo and on the bottle it said Revlon - London - Paris - Rome - New York and I used to think to myself I'm going to go to all the places on the Revlon bottle - guess what Rome's the last place on my to do list and I'm now 48 years old! Roll on October! (PS well, it's the last place on that to do list!)
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:34 PM

Hi Claret, that is a sweet story, your shampoo bottle, love it!

While you wait for responses may I suggest that you use the search box here on Fodors. Type in say "Rome Hotels" you will find tons of thread that will be of assistant to you I am sure.

And have a lot of fun planning your venture to Rome. I know you will love it! Happy dreaming.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:30 PM

Claret, as long as you are within a fairly wide area, you will find Rome pretty convenient. I liked staying in the Via Veneto - Trevi Fountain area, and found it pretty convenient, but many other locations would work well too. You'd be fine with a place near the Spanish Steps. Taking the metro to the Vatican is very easy too.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Val

We stayed in Rome in early February at the hotel Aberdeen. Great hotel, reasonably priced and excellent in every way. The location is great, near metro, bus stops and Terminii railway station. Lots of good restaurants and bars all around it and easy walking distance to all the main sites.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 05:15 AM

Hi Claret,
My own preference is the Spanish Steps area, and the Hotel San Carlo or Casa Howard. The San Carlo is a nice hotel in that neighborhood and has about 40 guest rooms total. Breakfast daily is included in the rate, and it can even be delivered to your room for free. Casa Howard is a guest house (well, actually there are two of them now) with only 5 guest rooms in each place, each room decorated differently. It is so easy, from either the Hotel San Carlo or Casa Howard to get on the Spagna Metro. I've used it to get to Termini, and to get to the Vatican early in the morning to get my ticket to Papal Audience. It's quick and easy to use. (I've also walked out to the Vatican, but the morning of Papal Audience I was in a particular hurry and wanted to get there ASAP.)

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 05:31 AM

Hi Claret

I love your shampoo bottle story! When I was little, I would do the same thing! I was finally able to check off all of those places last Nov. when we went to Rome. It was a good feeling.

By the way, we stayed in the Piazza Navona area and loved it.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you kindly to everyone. Your replies have really helped to clear things up for me. My travel partner and I are pretty keen to do a convent stay and I'm quite sure there is one right near the Spanish Steps. So I think that's gonna be the go. Thanks all oooooh I'm getting butterflies just talking about it!! Settle petal!!!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 03:14 PM

If that's the convent on via Sistina, that will be very convenient. The possible drawback to me would be the 10:30 (I think) curfew.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Willtravel - Yes the 10.30pm curfew has me a little worried as well. But I have on order at my local library - 'Bed and Blessings' in Italy - so I will be able to check out all possibilities as some convents have curfews as late as midnight.

At least I've got a better idea of exactly where I should stay - so that's great!
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 01:49 PM

On our first visit to Rome we stayed at a bed and breakfast called The Red Rose. WHile it wasn't the fanciest of accomodations, it was charming and had a great location. It was a few feet from the subway at Via Cavour. We walked about three city blocks, turned left and the Colliseum was a few blocks down. It was also close enough to Termini Rail Station that we could walk there.

The best part was that while we were there our air conditioner broke (not the best part) and we slept with the window open. Early each morning we were awakened by chanting from what I think was a monastery next door. It was heavenly and one of the highlights of our trip.

We are returning to Italy this May and will be in Rome for two days. I have already booked a room again at The Red Rose. I would recommend the double with bath en suite because the room is large and you have privacy with the bath en suite. I believe the cost is 80E per night.

While we are not on a strict budget this trip, I booked again mostly because of the location and the singing. Hope this helps. *S*
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 02:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Hi claret, I love your name. At times I wish I had selected a wine name.

I don't think I would ever be able to make a 10:30 curfew in Rome. We weren't out clubbing or anything but dinner is late and you want to have time to people watch and see everything lit up at night. There are some convents that don't have curfews and you can look at the list at www.santasusanna.org
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:35 AM

I know the termini area can be convient, but I wouldn't stay there. You just get a totally different feeling if you stay, for example, close to the Piazza Navona area. The narrow curvy streets around the panthenon are fun to walk around. The area around termini is very commercial and not as appealing. I stayed in the neighborhood between the spanish steps and piazza Popolo which was good too.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 06:12 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Imperiale in the Via Venueto. Very convenient and great rooms, ours had a small balcony overlooking the Via Veneto. Easy walking distance to trevi, Piazza Barberino. Really pretty part of Rome, would not hesistate to stay there again
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 06:15 AM

Hi Claret.

We stayed at Residenza Cellini in Rome for several nights in Oct, 2003. Can not say enough about how wonderful the staff was. They made us feel like family and helped us thoroughly with all of our Rome sightseeing and restaurant selections. The hotel itself and the rooms were very intimate and cozy, with beautiful decor. The breakfast is wonderful. The location is very good as well, on Via Modena, and we walked to everything. They do have a website--take a look; you won't be disappointed!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 12:18 PM

I too love the Via Veneto area, as some others here do also. But not everyone does.

I personally would not want to stay somewhere with a curfew. Especially a curfew at 10:30pm. That would be very depressing to me, no matter where I was, but especially in Rome. Just MHO.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi to one and all - Thanks so much to everyone for the feedback - I really appreciate it.

Now I'm going to have some fun checking out all these areas and hotels and accommodations you have all recommended.

I agree re the curfew at convent stays - but from my understanding some have quite late curfews e.g. midnight - which I think would be ok with us but I will certainly give it some consideration before a final decision.

Thanks all and ciao!!!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 03:29 PM

We just got back from Rome and stayed at the Hotel Santa Maria, just across the river in Trastevere. I can't say enough about the neighborhood (very authentic and unique) or the hotel. We didn't walk more than 20 minutes to any site (except the day we got lost). The restaurants in Trastevere are awesome (I posted a trip report which included a lot on that). Have a great time!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:01 PM

Hello Claret:

We are making our first trip to Rome this summer and have settled on the Hotel Nazionale a Montecitorio, which I believe is nicely located for most of the sightseeing that is deemed mandatory. Good luck. Gradyghost

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:30 PM

I am very partial to the Pantheon area, and my favorite hotel there is the Albergo del Senato. It's a wonderful hotel and the location couldn't be better. It's pretty expensive now with the exchange rate for the Euro but I highly recommend it.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 08:50 AM

Dejais...please, do tell how does one find out more about The Red Rose? Your description of it sounds charming, and I like the locale and the price!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -