Florence vs. Venice

Search

Florence vs. Venice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2003, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence vs. Venice

From what I've read here, most of you seem to think that Florence is a pretty &quot;artsy&quot; city. Would that be a correct assumption?<BR><BR>The reason I ask is b/c we are going on our honeymoon in Italy in May and were originally thinking of Rome, Florence, Amalfi Coast...but now am rethinking to Venice b/c we are just not really art people. <BR><BR>What is there to do in Florence? Is it just art? What about Venice, besides the canals? <BR><BR>Thanks!
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 07:28 AM

I think Venice would be better for a honeymoon, that's my opinion anyway. There is something romantic, magical the way the city sits on the lagoon, with its haze, that makes it look like a mirage. Walking at night through the tight alleys around San Marco, lit by torches, is also romantic, as is a gondola ride. I love Florence, but I don't think it is romantic, but, like you stated, very &quot;arty.&quot; Both Venice and Florence will be CROWDED in May. That is a major drawback.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 07:42 AM

I just returned yesterday from 3 days in Florence, had an absolutely wonderful time, loved it, and only made it to two museums (one of which was the old Medici palace from the 16th century, so not an art museum - worth visiting!). I love museums and was hoping to see more, but we ended up just strolling around most of the time.<BR><BR>At any rate, I think both cities are lovely, and although I would give Venice the edge, I did want to say that we really enjoyed Florence even though we didn't have a very art-intensive trip. Our evening private gondola ride in Venice the year before is one of our most memorable romantic vacation moments, though . . .
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 09:40 AM

Venice is my favorite place, but to be fair to Florence, t here are many things to do: sipping coffee or hot chocolate on Piazza della Signoria,<BR>wonderful shopping, and it's a gateway to Tuscany. Plus you don't have to be an art fan to appreciate the magnificent<BR>Michelangelo statue of David; if you see nothing else, see that. Florence has great restaurants too.<BR><BR>Venice also has some great museums, though many of its art treasures are also found in churches. Besides art and magnificent architecture, you have the Doge's Palace,the Basilica of San Marco, atmospheric bridges and alleys.<BR>Dining requires more advance research because there are unfortunately a lot of tourist traps, but fine places as well. You can also take boat rides to the other lagoon islands such as Torcello, Burano and Murano (the latter only if you want to do some serious glass shoppnig, otherwise it is skippable imo.) Torcello is largely deserted but a lunch there in fine weather could be a very romantic experience. It is decidedly uncrowded.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 09:41 AM

I meant to add, that given your other destinations are easily accessible from Rome, Venice would be out of the way.<BR>