Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Loire, Aug/Sep 99

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 1999, 12:32 PM
Kavey

Hello All, <BR> <BR>Firtly thanks to all of you for your replies to my previous questions about Loire/ Bougogne. They really helped me to focus my plans, though I am still not as clear as usual. (This is a first for me, as I am usually the one who helps all my friends plan their holidays, and I work in the travel industry!!) <BR> <BR>I noticed some of you have stayed in some of the Relais and CHateaux and Fodors Country Inns properties such as Domaine des Hauts de Loire, Chateau de Chissay, Chateau d'Artigny to name a few. <BR> <BR>I would like to ask a few questions to those of you who have stayed in such places. <BR> <BR>1) When prices for rooms _start_ at 680 francs did you stay in these price rooms or opt for the more expensive rooms? Did anyone see the rooms which would cost 680 francs? How specific where you about which room you wanted and how much you could afford when you booked? E.g. Did you say "I want a room for up to 750 francs" or did you just ask for whatever was available? <BR> <BR>2) Some people have recommended staying in Tours, others in Amboise and others in the countryside between towns. Obviously this is a personal preference but here are my main interests which might prompt a few more thoughts from you: We enjoy wondering through an area with a choice of restaurants in the evening where possible, and choosing on the spur of the moment. This means we need to either stay in a town or be within close driving distance but makes me lean towards staying in a town. However we dont tend to stay up late in local bars in the evenings, rather we get up early to sightsee. This makes me lean towards quiet countryside places again. I am a light sleeper and traffic disturbs me, this makes me lean towards the countryside.... <BR>You see my dilemma. I have never been this indecisive before regarding a holiday, EVER!!! <BR> <BR>3) Can I email you guys privately to pick your brain for info on your individual hotels? <BR> <BR>4) How long before travel should I think about booking somewhere (I am travelling end Aug, beginning Sep 99 which I assume is faily busy). <BR> <BR>5) WHY can't I seem to decide where to stay?! <BR> <BR>Any advice will be greatly appreciated, as you can see I am losing sleep over this... a definite first. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance for your help, <BR> <BR>from a very confused and yet excited Kavey

Old May 16th, 1999, 05:10 PM
M Taylor

We just returned from France and spent a glorious night with delicious dinner at a small hotel in Chenonceau - The Roseria - owners Laurent and Sophie make you feel at home. Book ahead in summer and ask for a room away from the street. Short walk to the beautiful Chateau Chenonceau. Also - very reasonably priced.

Old May 17th, 1999, 12:34 PM
Kavey

Hi M <BR> <BR>Thanks for your reply. I think I saw another reply from Paulo but fodors seem to have eaten it!!! (And I ahdnt copied it into my document yet) <BR> <BR>COuld you give me more info on the hotel, like a number or email address, also room prices and so on? We would like as luxurious a room as we can afford as it is a trip for our wedding anniversary... <BR> <BR>Thanks evry much <BR> <BR>

Old May 17th, 1999, 01:10 PM
Paulo

I didn't post anything on hotels, Kavey. My last intervention stated that my "ladies" would have chosen Tours (within walking distance to the center) if they were in your shoes <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>PS. We stayed in a "normal" hotel in Tours last time up ... no chateaux <BR>

Old May 17th, 1999, 06:17 PM
Steve

I have twice stayed in Onzain at the Chateau de Tertes. It is a very nice hotel located across the river from Chaumont castle. Nice pleasant town and moderately priced. Get a copy of Logis de France. Any hotel listed will be nice

Old May 17th, 1999, 11:19 PM
joelle

Regarding hotel prices, I am afraid that the lowest price indicated (for instance 700 FF) may well be the price for a single room. The Relais and Chateaux web site will be of help to you as it gives clear indication of prices for one or two persons. <BR>

Old May 18th, 1999, 09:45 AM
kavey

Oh yes Paulo I remember, you answered my other post... <BR> <BR>There were def 2 responses to this which seem to got eaten up, never mind, I have lots of kind info from you all anyway... <BR> <BR>Kavita