Where to stay in Lisbon?

Old May 19th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Where to stay in Lisbon?

Has someone rented a flat in Lisbon and can recommend one? What neighborhood is the best to stay in? We're looking for 1 or 2 bdrm accommodations in a convenient location in Lisbon for 4 nights in October. The owners must be able to provide a baby cot. Thank you.
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:49 AM

Hi Anuta.

We are staying in an apartment in the Chiado area of Lisbon which is very central.

www.vrbo.com is the site.

There are two apartments listed by the same owner. Friends have stayed in the larger apartment and we are staying in the smaller one the first week of June.

The owner is wonderful to deal with. He answers all emails promptly. He uses Paypal for the deposit which is very easy to do.

You can check them out and I will let you know when I return.

I am sure I will be pleased.
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:51 AM

What is a baby cot?
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:31 AM

A baby cot is a crib for babies. A small bed for babies with rails on all sides.
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:45 PM

Thanks a lot Sher
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:20 PM

At your service, anytime.

Also, to bring this to the top for anuta.
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM

We also stayed in Paulo's apartment (#77293) a couple of weeks ago. It is on the 3rd floor at the north-west corner of the Praça Luis de Camões square. We love the apartment (probably 900 sq ft?) very spacious 1-bedroom apartment.

The post office is right at the square, so is a taxi stand. The tram line stop is right outside the apartment. The subway is about a block away. The fresh vegetable/fish market is 5-10 min walk to the river front, so is the Cais de Sodre train station. Also there are many small cafes, restaurants and neighborhood grocers. We loved it!
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for replying. Actually, as my in-laws will be staying with us in Lisbon, we'll have to get a 2 bdrm apartment. I saw that the same owner offers a 2 bdrm unit as well, and will contact him. One question...wasn't it too noisy at the apartment as I saw the tram lines are right outside the windows? Mostly concerned for my son's sleep but then, again, he slept through the fireworks more than once
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:08 AM

The apartment windows have 2 parts: the glass window as well as the wooden shutter. We found that if you close both it is not that noisy.

I am a "light" sleeper and do find that the noise bothers me (no matter where I stayed: actually much worse in the Navona Piazza and Campo dei Fiori apartments in Rome). So I brought some disposable earplugs with me and they work really well. If you have never used them before it is a bit awkward, but you can try them at home first and get used to using them. I find that most invaluable!
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:37 AM

Just a hint. The fodorite with a screen name Therese occupied last year a larger appartment in the same square.
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:05 AM

Anuta
We are staying in the same building as the two bedroom apartment in a couple of weeks.
We will let you know how the noise is.
Two of the apartments are in one building and one is in another, although in the same area.
Nuber 146014 is the two bedroom located in a different building than 77293 which Johnmango occupied. This is how Paulo described the location when I wrote to him. AT least this is what I understand.
One is located nearer to Praca Luis de Camoes and I believe the two bedroom is located on Rua Garrett near to the Amazens do Chiado..please forgive my spelling. But you will get the idea. But I could be incorrect, so if you wish I will let you know for sure.
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:34 AM

Praça Luis de Camões square and Rua Garett are not far from each other. I didn't look up where 146014 is; but when we stayed at the square, you get out of the building, and Rua garett is just around the corner. Rua Garettt is only about 2-3 blocks long and if you proceed east along Rua Garett you will end up in a shopping complex (a cross street - forgot the name). Rua Garett is where many fancy shops are located; and when I checked the website for 146014 I vaguely remember that it is on the 5th floor and has very nice view.

Just personally I prefer a Square a little bit more, because it is a little bit closer to the river front where the train station (to Belem) is, as well as the vegetable/fish market - I just don't feel out-of-place carrying the fresh vegetable/fish into my apartment. Rua Garett is a bit more (how shall I put it?) "high-end".

Either way they are all very good locations! I especially like the taxi stand at the Square because , as you know, I find Portugese hard to pronounce (what one sees is not how it is pronounced if you use English pronunciation), so I was a bit worried about calling a cab for 6 a.m. on the last day to go to the airport. But I find out that there are cabs sitting at the stand all the time, so we just haul our luggage there rather than calling a cab and risk the company not undertsanding where the apartment is.
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:56 AM

Johnmango. The reason we picked the Rua Garett location is for several reasons.
There are only two of us, and I felt the smaller one was sufficient.

Our dollare is doing so poorly that I considered the price we are paying (about 150US) was probably the high end of our budget for Lisbon.

And the location of the apartment is actually an area I am almost familiar with in Lisbon. I really have difficulty with the Portuguese language and even I can make Rua Garett sound sort of like it should sound for a taxi driver.

I wouldn't consider us "high end" people and maybe it will be nice to see how the other half lives. Maybe it will be just a little quieter because there are many shops in that area.

I just know I am really looking forward to our stay.
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:21 PM

As lobo mau points out upthread, I stayed in a two bedroom, two bath apartment in Lisbon with a friend in March, 2007. We rented through http://www.travelingtolisbon.com/ and I was very happy with every aspect of the experience. I emailed them some very detailed questions about particular properties (e.g. did a certain property's patio get full sun? did another property have an oven or just a cooktop? did the balcony for a third property have enough room to sit or just stand?) and not only did they answer them promptly but in detail. An agent for the company met us at the rental, and all of the financial arrangements went smoothly.

In the end we rented #33, and from what you've said here it sounds like it would be perfect: each couple would have their own bedroom and own bathroom (one with a shower, one with a tub). There's a large and well-equipped kitchen, separate dining room, and separate living room. The apartment's been very recently re-done, and the decor is a nice mix of modern with some traditional accents. Immaculately clean. There are views (and narrow balconies) over Praca Luis de Camoes on one side and towards the river on the other. Praca Luis de Camoes can get very noisy, especially on weekend nights, but the soundproofing in this apartment was perfect: no sound whatsoever got through. The river side of the apartment (where I slept) was very, very quiet: even on Saturday night you'd never know you were in a big city. Proximity of the metro (which is the best I've ever used, anywhere, ever) and the tram is excellent.

Lobo mau can vouch for the apartment, as he and Mrs. Lobo saw it firsthand, along with another fodorite, Schuler, as they all came over for a drink one night after listening to fado. A cursory look at the web site doesn't yield any info about a baby crib/cot, but they provide a lot of services (including babysitting on request), so I'd guess that it wouldn't be a problem.

There's lots of additional info and pictures on the web site, so check it out. Lots of other apartments as well.
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Rua Garrett ends just across a square from the Praca Luis de Camoes. We stayed at the Hotel Borges on the Rua Garrett just near that intersection. There is no difference between these locations in terms of how upscale they are. Do take note that there can be a lot of street noise. Rua Garrett has a pedestrianized section where there are many street performers of dubious quality.

We, however, found this charming. If and when I return to Lisbon, this would be the location I would choose.
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:06 PM

Four of us just returned 5/23 from Lisbon, and the square and rua Garrett are confluent. There's a lot of activity along the side streets running into both at night, but I would trust the people who've actually stayed in the flat in question--you can ask the owner specifically about the location of the bedrooms and the type of windows installed there.
You'll also want to consider the mobility issues that come with parents and a baby/toddler: are there lots of stairs up to or within the flat, or is there an elevator to the third floor? Will you have a stroller? (There are LOTS of cobblestones!) Are there unenclosed stairs or ledges where a child wouldn't be safe? And is the address itself way up steps or a hill? We saw people getting up and down rua Garrett with strollers without too much struggle, and you can get from the Rossio either by the Elevador D. Santa Justa or by walking up the not-terrible hill of rua do Carmo.
You can get a laminated map called "Streetwise Lisbon" for $7.95 at any bigger bookstore and that will help you plan as well as navigate while you're there. (Just used mine for spelling, heh heh.)
We stayed in a two-bedroom, one-bath flat uphill from the Rossio; it was incredibly quiet at night--you can see the larger property they have, at http://www.visitingportugal.com/, if something doesn't work out at the one you're presently considering. We were treated wonderfully, had use of a computer with internet and local cell phone, and had a little rooftop terrace with spectacular views of the city and lemons from a neighbor's tree hanging at the edge. That location involves plenty of climbing, though, and much-smaller neighborhood streets-- more than the Chiado blocks mentioned above (once you get oriented, you'll be able to quickly find the easiest way to and from your flat.)
Just ask lots of questions---the VRBO site in general makes it easy to explain what you'll need. When you get there, you'll be so pleased to see how gracious and kind the Portuguese people are--they'll help you get around, too.
Sorry, the website I provided above seems double-listed in the "preview" view, but in the "edit" view only single-listed, and I can't edit the duplication out. grr. Hope the above is useful, and I'll be glad to help if there's anything further.
Penny
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:25 PM

I can certainly vouch for Therese's apartment. It was beautiful, modern, clean and very central. The two bedrooms were very nice too. If I were looking for an apartment, I would definitely book this one.

I believe there was even a lift (hard to remember after a night of Fado and drinks).
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:23 AM

Yes, the apartment building did have a lift. Due to the constraints of adding a lift to an old building, though, the lift didn't go all the way to the ground floor (started one flight of stairs up, I believe) and didn't stop precisely on our floor (again, probably one short flight of stairs off). So not suited for somebody in a wheelchair, but very helpful for groceries, suitcases, and strollers.

Of course, Lisbon itself is very poorly suited for somebody in a wheelchair, or with mobility issues of any sort.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 07:01 AM

Hi Beeze, We are staying in the same apartment as you did, next month! Any tips you can offer? Thanks! pp
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 12:39 AM

Hi, PP,
The location was superb; the couple in charge are committed to having everything work out well for you. The apartment has chairs/table on the terrace, a computer w/ fast Internet hookup, (but I think not a printer), a local cell phone, brochures from walking groups and about places like Pena Palace and the Gulbenkian, substantial umbrellas to wield in place of your wimpy travel ones(and we needed them at times), plenty of towels, a hair dryer, kitchen supplies like soap, paper towels, seasonings, coffee supplies. The two beds were OK- we had the double one on the main floor, and the mattress was, er,a rock (pretty much everywhere we stayed these were very firm). Noise never ever was an issue there.
You can take the train to Sintra right from the Rossio station, a couple of minutes away--the InsideLisbon walks meet at the Dom Pedro IV statue right there, also. You can bop down to the Praca do Comercio in a few minutes,too.
If you identify somewhere you want to eat, but can't set up a reservation by Internet, Deb will arrange it for you before you come.

There's a small gourmet shop close by on Praca Figueira,along rua Batesga (ie the part that faces the hill where the flat is), where we stumbled in for the odd cheese and walnuts and figs; they sell alcohol (and give Port tastes, apparently)too. It was handy when we were tired and didn't want to invest the time to find a better bargain, and had loads of little goodies to try. (they have these gorgeous dried plums from ??Elvas?? which I loved.) I can find you its name, if you'd like.
Be careful walking on slopes whose paving stones are wet; my Privo flats with "traction" soles behaved like silk socks on newly waxed floors. (There you are, trying to be a discreet visitor, and suddenly you fling out your arm/arms at a violent angle, with or without a shriek)
I really recommend one of the walking tours (schedules are online) if it's your first time there. Minus the odd dog poo, it's a great city to explore on foot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO