Where to stay in Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to check in with others on where to stay in Florence. There are 3 of us for 3 nights and we want to be in the Duomo area..(is that a good spot?) We are hoping to pay no more than 140Euros a night. Recommendations are appreciated (any great restaurants too are welcome)!
Thanks
Marilyn
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 08:58 PM

Hi Marilyn...my husband stayed at a bed and breakfast called the Johanna (http://www.johanna.it/) a few years ago and loved it. I think they have rooms around 140 Euros/night (or even under). I'm not sure if it is in the Duomo area, but I think it was centrally located. They have a few different locations to choose from. Just as a warning, they do have a strict cancellation policy (7 days I think) and last summer we were going to stay there, but our plans changed and they would not refund the money...even though we gave them four days notice. So anyway, it is something to be aware of, but I don't want it to scare you away from staying there. Again, when my husband did stay there, he had a great time. Hope that helps.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 11:53 PM

I suggest you RELAIS IL CAMPANILE
www.relaiscampanile.it
Its location is perfect for you as it is very close to Duomo.

Have a lovely trip.
Ciao.

Vincenzo
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 04:43 AM

I've rented an apartment at www.sleepinginflorence.com and the building is a half block from the Duomo. The location was perfect and the price was in your range.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 06:52 AM

www.hotelmedici.it
I really loved this hotel - rooms are very simple - the rooftop terrace is breathtaking no matter what part of the day you take it in.

Also Hotel Belletinni but I don't know their website right offhand. Their breakfast is wonderful!

Old Mar 27th, 2008, 07:02 AM

Marilyn,

I've always stayed at the Tourist House Ghiberti, love them. Very close to the Duomo yet tucked away. www.touristhouseghiberti.com

Enjoy, E
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 08:11 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Laurus Al Duomo last year.
It's about 100 yards away and they have an open rooftop bar with a view of the dome.
All in all it was a nice room. But the location was the big benefit.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 08:49 AM

We have stayed at Hotel Casci (thanks to recommendations from this board) and love it. It runs from 100-150E depending on when you go. It is centrally located. We had great meals in Florence. One was at Le Massacce. We had 2 entrees, dessert, wine, water and coffee and the bill was about $45. It was a very good dinner. Our best meal was at Semidi Vino (recommeded by Hotel Casci, and close by) and was THE BEST meal we had. DH tried the gnudi. They were giant gnocci stuffed with ricotta cheese and spinach topped with a light gorganzola sauce. I had giant gnocci stuffed with pecorino and ricotta cheese with an incredible pear sauce over it. We thought it was another great bargain. Wine, water, antipasto, entrees, dessert and coffee for $53.00. We don't go out for expensive meals, so this actually was our "splurge". Have fun !
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Mambo_

We really liked the Relais Cavalcanti, which is near the Duomo.

Here's the link to my trip report about it, along with some good restaurants we found there:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34813784
>-

Old Mar 27th, 2008, 04:53 PM

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Costantini last March. It was clean, had a decent breakfast, we had a large room, and it is within sight of Il Duomo. It's within your budget, we booked on venere.com if you haven't booked before you can use this code BENVDQG and save 4%. I get points and donate them.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 05:16 PM

Another vote for Hotel Casci. Family run, historic building, beautiful rooms, great location, terrific breakfast.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Wow, great feedback and response! Can I just say thank you to each of you! I am so appreciative!
Marilyn
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 06:01 PM

You've gotten quite a few suggestions. I would add one more: Hotel Centrale in Florence.
2blocks from the Doumo very nice and reasonably priced. Check out www.tripadvisor.com Excellent reviews.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 06:03 PM

I'm piping in to echo Statia's recommendation of Sleeping in Florence. It was reading Statia's glowing reviews that convinced me to rent with them, and we were thorougly pleased with both the apartment and in all our dealings with the owner and on-site manager.

We had a view of the Duomo from our apartment (we rented the two bedroom Casini)- it was literally steps away, just down the street and around the corner.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 06:14 PM

One more vote for Hotel Casci! We will not stay anywhere else. They are 5 mts from Duomo. You feel like you are family there. And there is free internet in the lobby. Additionally, simply email or call them once you've made your reservation, and they will get you reservations for Uffizi and Accademia. We wanted to take Pierpaulo home with us!! You will LOVE this place. Check out the reviews on TripAdvisor.com!

Additionally, I also recommend Semidivino for dinner!!! (Trav52-we obviously have the same taste in hotels and food!) My daughter and I were in Paris, Venice, Florence and Rome last year. Our favorite meal of the entire trip was at Semidivino (and we ate at Les Ombres in Paris for $300 and it was not better than our 65euro meal in Florence!) The little gorgonzola-and-pear-filled pasta bundles with the balsamic and cream sauce, sprinkled with toasted pine nuts... to die for! My fave meal of the whole trip. We also had steak w/truffles and an incredible beef carpaccio. All simply delicious!

Have fun!
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 09:20 PM

Hi Mare525. I have to agree with others about the wonderful Hotel Casci. My family of four stayed there last May for a week and it was an outstanding experience! The owners are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. The rooms are lovely with updated bathrooms, the breakfasts are incredibly delicious with so many choices, and you can't beat the convenience of being within a couple of blocks of the Duomo. I am returning to Florence in July and staying at the Casci again. When I knew I would be returning to Florence, I didn't even give my accommodations a second thought because I knew I would definitely return to the Casci. It's a wonderful, wonderful place to stay where you feel as if you're being taken care of by dear family. I hope you choose it because you are sure to be pleased with your experience. Buon viaggio!
Karen
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 06:07 AM
AnnetteW

I once asked my brother this question, as he travelled to Italy on business most weeks. His reply was "Siena". After visiting both cities, I agree. It's better to commute in from Siena.

Old Mar 28th, 2008, 06:17 AM

Another vote for Hotel Casci! We stayed there in October 2005 and had a fantastic experience. The family was so friendly, so accommodating and we had great meals at ZaZas and Semidi Vino also.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 06:55 AM

I vote for Relais Il Campanile. You are less than a block away from the Duomo (I don't have the picture up yet --- but when we opened the window to our room, we looked directly at the Duomo), and one block from the Accademia. It's a well-located hotel, and very reasonably priced (our room was 100 E/night in October). Clean rooms, with a mini-fridge, and the manager (Sara) is very helpful in providing restaurant recommendations and activities to see in Florence. Great place! I think you will love it.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 09:07 AM

Another vote for the Hotel Casci-we spent 8 nights there in October, 2006 & when we go back, we will stay there-check other reviews & you will find they all say the same.As to a good restaurant, try Lo Scudo a neighborhood place w/a lot of locals. From the Duomo Museum, walk to the rear of the church , make the 1st left, & it is on the right. Good Luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -