Where to stay in Cinque Terre?

May 9th, 2007, 06:49 PM
annieladd

Where to stay in Cinque Terre?

I posted several days earlier, but asked many other questions in addition to hotel suggestions, so this one is just devoted to where to stay. I would also consider staying in SML, Lerici, etc., if you think they're a better option for us.

Here's what I'm looking for

A nice accesible room with a view, in a quaint town with a couple of good restaurants, and a beautiful view.

Room for 2, spotless, nice bathroom

View of Sea from room (If possible, would love to have a balcony)

Price- 150E or so, would consider 200-225E if you think it's special

Access- Everyone says not to rent a car, so we'll take a train from Pisa or Genoa. My husband has had a stroke at a relatively young age, and though he gets around just fine now, he just can't handle the 300+ stairs I've been reading about at some places. So, let me know what you know that won't work... We need someplace we get get to fairly easily from train.

Is the CT the right place for us? We're not hikers, but we enjoy a nice walk. We're not glitzy folks, but we do like nice rooms, restaurants, and wine.

Suggestions on hotels most welcome! annieladd

May 9th, 2007, 06:55 PM

If you really want to stay in a CT town, I would suggest Vernazza. We stayed in Santa Margherita and visited CT from there. You can get there on the train or by boat. You can visit the other villages on the boat from Vernazza. The walk from Manarola to Riomaggiore is the easiest. I think the 300 steps is about Corniglia but our boat didn'r even stop there. Do NOT rent a car for CT.
May 9th, 2007, 07:00 PM

Hi-

I was there last October and spent 3 days there. I made Riomaggiore the homebase which was a little bit out of neccessity as I could not find a place that had good rooms with a view - everything that you are looking for. Stumbled upon the Cinqueterre Residence (http://www.cinqueterreresidence.it/eng/index.php) - which i highly recommend. Riomaggiore is easily connected to all the other towns but quieter than all of them (which I liked - the others were much more touristy, even Vernazza which is recommended by Rick Steve's but has become really touristy IMHO compared to Riomaggiore).
The owners are very gracious and the wife speaks English - the husband not so much but he's really sweet.
Hope this helps - let me know what else you want to know and i can try to answer.
May 9th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Last fall we stayed in Levanto- just a five minute train ride from Monterossa, the first (or last) of the 5 villages. We were very happy there, and would love to return, since we were there just 3 nights/two full days. We stayed at the Hotel Nazionale. Easily within your price range. The room was medium size and spotlessly clean. The bathroom was small but immaculate. The hotel is not ocean front, but our room had a view down the street to the sea. The hotel has an elevator. The hospitality could NOT have been more gracious. The English speaking owner (Angela?) went out of her way on several occasions to help us out. The town of Levanto we found perfectly charming, and might be a little more accesible than the CT villages. More than a few very nice restaurant choices.
For non hikers a great way to visit the Cinque Terre villages would be by the boat that travels among them. I believe it was 18 Eur for a full day pass of unlimited travel among the villages, including Portovenere. At certain times of the year they include Levanto, but had already discontinued when we were there in early Oct. It was a wonderful way to spend the day when we were tuckered out from our prior day's hiking. Whatever you do, it will be wonderful!
May 9th, 2007, 08:49 PM

If you are not up for hiking, you can stay in Rio Maggiore and take the very light walk to the next town over. Every other hike from town to town is serious hiking with steep inclines and stairs. Then, take the train back to wherever you like, or the boat. However, you may want to stay in the big town on the end. It is more commercially, but if you want to avoid stairs, that is the only sure way. We walked up so many steep stairs to get to our room. it was tough. The hike is the main attraction there, there are only beaches in the last two towns (the bigger one, its name escapes me), and they aren't anything you can't find somewhere else, even though they are great.
May 9th, 2007, 08:52 PM

We stayed not in/on the Cinque Terre but a little north in Camogli. We had a wonderful spacious room with a LARGE terrace over looking the beach and the town. Here's is the URL: www.casmona.com/eng/hotel_casmona.html.
There's a train station nearby (up maybe 20 steps) that will take you to Santa Margherita Ligure and the Cinque Terre as well as Genoa. Also some boats but we didn't use them.

Camogli is a pretty little town. The beach gets a lot of daytrippers from Genoa, but the town doesn't seem overloaded.
May 12th, 2007, 04:33 PM

I thought Manorola was the perfect town. Small and lovely, with easy acess to all the other towns by train or walking. Good restaurants and it was quieter and less frantic than Vernazza.