Help / Assistance Request with day trip to El Escorial and Valley of the Fallen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This fall, DH and I want to make a day trip of El Escorial and Valley of the Fallen. We have one overnight devoted to Segovia and what I'm wondering is...would it be easier to rent a car from Segovia and make the day trip from there versus renting / driving from Madrid? I understand we can use the bus / train to make this trip from Madrid, however, DH would prefer to rent a car for the day. Open to all suggestions so any input / advice is greatly appreciated--thank you.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 11:20 AM

It is nearer from Madrid, but it's not so much difference if you want to do it from Segovia, it's up to you
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 11:28 AM

sounds like places in a Nora Roberts novel (not that I've ever read one...
of course)
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Kenderina.

Too funny, Suzie.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:44 PM

But if you go from Segovia, won't you miss time in that city? Can you stay another night in Segovia?
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi ekscrunchy. Yes, that was my thinking--to add a night in Segovia in order to make the day trip from there.

We've driven overseas before and it is not our strong suit, lol. If DH wants to drive then I want to make it's as painless as possible to ensure we're still talking to one another when we return.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 02:32 PM

We did it by train and bus, and I think you are wise to try to do it by car.
My suggestion would be to get the car in Madrid (on the outskirts perhaps the day you leave there and drive to El Escorial and Valley of the Fallen, then go on to Segovia in the late afternoon for your two nights.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 02:39 PM

We visited El Escorial by car enroute from Segovia to Madrid. It was very easy to find and driving (except in Madrid proper) was easy.

We picked up one of the tour guides loitering out front, and really enjoyed it. He got guards to open locked doors, and just really showed us the whole thing. We've since vowed to take on more of those impromptu guides when we travel. (I'd always been leery of being ripped off, but no risk, no gain!)

Also, Franco's tomb was one of the highlights of the trip for my husband. Of course, being of a certain age, we kept repeating the old Chevy Chase line that "General Franco is still dead". But the ego behind the complex is just amazing!

Susan
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 02:51 PM

I don't mean to offend anyone, but it's difficult for me to understand how Franco's tomb can be a highlight of any trip...and yes , I've been there but I was on a group excursion to both El Escorial and Valle de los Caidos and couldn't avoid it !
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 03:01 PM

This should be a no brainer; much, much easier to rent the car in Madrid and stop in El Escorial/Valle de los Caidos on your way to Segovia. If you start early enough, you can make this trip even better by making another stop to take in Avila’s medieval walled city, considered as one of the best preserved city walls in Europe, and without a doubt, one of the most beautiful medieval walls I've ever seen. I don't think going into Avila is a must given your time constraints. I do however would consider it insane to be so close to Avila and not stop to take in the spectacular walled city sight. Your husband is right about renting the car; "milk the car" for all its worth.

One thing to keep in mind; El Escorial is close on Mondays. Plan accordingly. By the way, Segovia is also amazing; great overnight choice.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much--I sincerely appreciate the helpful feedback.

Viajero2, I have Avila scheduled as a separate day trip. We tend to linger and absorb and I don't want to schedule too much for one day. We have 10 days devoted to Madrid and its environs. Thank you for your input!