Where to stay in Berlin

Search

Where to stay in Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Berlin

I'm planning on visiting Berlin in early October and need recommendations on an area in Berlin as well as hotels. We would like something centrally located although I know that Berlin is huge and there is no one area that is convenient to all of the sights. We're looking for a boutique type hotel, upscale but not fancy, or a chain hotel, such as Best Western or Hilton. We would really like to avoid noise at night. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 01:57 PM

When I am going to Berlin (usually a dozen times per year), I always check www.hrs.de first. Often (esp. on weekends in summer) they offer 5-star hotels at very affordable rates.

The best location in town is around Gendarmenmarkt, but since public transportation in Berlin is excellent, every location close to an U-Bahn or S-Bahn station is okay.

I have stayed several times in the Hilton, which has a very good location. I recommend the executive floor - with a fully stocked self-service bar and food all day.

For a boutique hotel, you may try this one: http://www.louisas-place.de/

Many Fodorites recommend the Melia, which seems to offer good value for money, but it a business hotel.

Many also recommend Priceline.
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 02:56 PM

Many Fodorites recommend the Melia, which seems to offer good value for money, but it a business hotel.'"

I stayed at Melia in July . It is in excellent location, next to the river and to S and U Bahn.
The rooms ( nice size) looking in to the courtyard are quiet.
It is chain, though .
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 09:44 AM

We enjoyed the Arcotel Velvet on Oranienburgerstrasse--both for the experience and the location.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 11:08 AM

We liked the Mark Hotel on Meinekestrasse, right off the Kudamm. Wonderful breakfast and great TV channels. We had a room on the street but it was very quiet.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 03:28 AM

We are booked at the Melia in November. Well located and an excellent value. I have no problem with chain hotels as I like amenities when in a city such as fitness center, 24 hour front desk and lobby bar. I keep the quaint inns for my visits to the countryside.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 04:20 AM

We stayed near Kudamm (west Berlin) last time and wished we had looked for a place in "east" Berlin since so many of the things to see were there. We got tired of going back and forth. Just something to think about.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 04:32 AM

I second the view that the area around Gendarmenmarkt is the best, for sightseeing and eating/drinking. Otherwise, I'd go for anywhere else on or near Friedrichstrasse or on/near Unter den Linden (preferably the stretch east of Friedrichstrasse). On our first visit we stayed at the Maritim ProArte which is a large business-type hotel but was nice. (Checking where the Melia is, they must be close together I think.) On our second visit we stayed at the Hotel City Partner am Gendarmenmarkt, which was in a good location but I wouldn't particularly recommend it.

I would not want to stay in the Kudamm area which i didn't like at all.

My trip report for both visits is at http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34614269. in case it's helpful.

traveller1959, thanks, that is a very good tip re www.hrs.de : I don't remember seeing that recommendation before.