Reload this Page >

Where to stay (budget) and what to do in Edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 1998, 08:01 AM
Holly Ann Land

I will be in driving from Newcastle to Edinburgh in early March. Does anyone know any inexpensive, b&bs or inns in Edinburgh, Scotland? Also, what are the must sees for the first time visitor who only has two days. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old Feb 4th, 1998, 05:41 PM
JOAN DOYLE

If you were going in summer I'd have one terrific recommendation for you--the University of Edinburgh which is in the center of town and which has some delightful accommodations during the students' holidays. They MAY even have something in March but I don't know about that. I'd key in Univ.Edinburgh and ask if I were you. As to what to see in two days, the obvious places are the Castle, Holyrood House (also a castle with colorful history), and Princes Street (the main thoroughfare). All that walking should amply fill your two days. Weather outside of summer in Edinburgh tends tp be a bit grey and rainy--but it's a lovely city anyway. Enjoy your stay. Joan

Old Feb 6th, 1998, 05:49 AM
Pat

I'm also going to be in Edinburgh in March. Joppa Turrets Guest House was recommended to me. you can reach them via email at [email protected]. They have a web site: www.joppaturrets.demon.co.uk

Old Feb 6th, 1998, 06:39 AM
Holly Ann

Thanks to Pat and Joan for your help. I appreciate your reply!!

Old Feb 8th, 1998, 08:57 PM
Deb

You will love Edinburgh. I stayed at the Salisbury Guest Hotel. (a b&b) It was lovely and the propriators lovely. Go to a pub and listen to authentic Scottish folkmusic. Elephant house was a great place to eat. Go to the art museum. It's free. The children's museum was fun and free too. Take packaged soups and prepare them in your room if you're really tight on money. If the one who stayed at the university reads this - I have a question for you - How much did it cost to stay at the university and give more details!!

Old Feb 21st, 1998, 04:30 AM
Suzan Phipps

If you haven't found a place in Edinburgh yet, we stayed at a lovely home called Parklands at 20 Mayfield Gardens. It is too far to walk to the city center but the bus stopped 3 doors down and was a 10 min. ride. It was $55 for a double ensuite in 1996.
Their phone number is (0) 131 667 7184

Old Feb 22nd, 1998, 10:18 AM
johnny

first of all, i would recommend glasgow over edinburgh. it is a more vibrant, real city. glasgow cathedral and the necropolis and the glorious west end beat anything i saw in edinburgh.

however, ediunburgh is certainly a great city as well. i would recommend the national portrait gallery for the portraits and memorobilia of the scottish royaly, especially mary.

if you have a day, go to stirling for it's castle which is the equal of edinburgh's, the wallace monument, striling bridge, and the medieval city center.

Old Mar 18th, 1998, 10:07 PM
Martin Hafer

try taking in a show--there are lots of Broadway-style shows at very low cost. I would not recommend the Ghost Tours--too expensive and too campy.