Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to Stay and What to See in Dijon/Burgandy Region

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 06:44 PM
Richard

My wife and i are planning to spend a couple days in the Burgandy region. We have no idea where to stay. I was thinking of Dijon or Beaune. If anybody has any suggestions on hotels or B&Bs I would be very thankful. We would like to spend about $50-$80/night but would be willing to spend more if the place was a major upgrade or worthwhile experience. Also, any ideas on the best way to see the wine country. We have a Europass, but am not sure that seeing the wine country by train is the way to go. Any insight into whether renting a car or a guided tour would be better?

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 11:15 PM
joelle

Renting a car will be the best solution for you. Both Dijon and Beaune are nice towns to visit. Then you have to drive along the "wine road" and stop in some of the villages having famous names like Meursault, Chambolle-Musigny, etc. Burgundy also offers many castles, farmhouses converted into hotels or B&B for relatively moderate prices.

Old Jun 25th, 1999, 03:01 AM
Francesca

We go a lot to this region and find the Gites de France guide (I believe there's an English version) invaluable for finding charming and inexpensive b&bs. Beaune and Dijon are both gorgeous, but will be full of tourists. If I were you, I'd rent a car in order to explore smaller towns (Fixin and Givry Chambertin are our favorites), taste and buy wine and stay at a B&B rather than a hotel in town.

Old Jun 25th, 1999, 05:03 AM
martha

The chateau in Gevrey Chambertin is fascinating--so old it has square towers and no portcullis. The woman who lives there gives a wonderful, quirky tour that includes her opinions on the evils of the French Revolution, the metric system, and Vatican II.
You didn't ask about places to eat, but we has a great meal in Dijon at a restaurant in a courtyard off the rue Monge. Name includes the word "Sauvage." I apologize for not being one of the Fodorites who keep fabulous records. Big old fireplace where they grill meats and a snail appetizer that's just the snails (18 of 'em) swimming in amazing garlic butter in a little copper saucepan.

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 09:04 PM
steve

we're just back from 5 weeks touring France. The best place we stayed was a B&B in Burgundy near Poulliy an Auxious just near Beaune. Mdm Rance has a 15th cent farmhouse - its a bit rustic but she cooks the best dinners for around $20 Australian, we didn't bother going to town. She doesn't speak any english but its a great spot to base youself for A$75/night.
regards
Steve

Old Jul 4th, 1999, 12:44 PM
Leslie

Steve, Could you please post the name and address of the B&B you stayed in near Poulley an Auxious? It sounded great!

Old Jul 4th, 1999, 04:52 PM
steve

Leslie
The address of the B&B is

Chantal and Michel Rance
Rente D'Eguilly
21320 Pouilly-en-Auxois
ph 03 80 90 83 48

We found this and other great value places in a book called "Le B&B" - corny title but it didn't fail us once.

regards
Steve