Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to send our 18 year old son on his own?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2001, 05:09 PM
Jeanie

Our son is graduating high school in June and my ex-husband and I would like to get him a plane ticket to Europe as a graduation present. He's taking a year off and plans to work from this June to next June, then travel during the following summer (2002). We'd appreciate some advice on the best place to send him as a jumping-off point. By that time he will have been to to Paris and parts of France, to London and parts of southern England, and Amsterdam (with his mother, poor thing!). So, feedback from travellers around his age would be greatly appreciated!

Old May 21st, 2001, 05:55 PM
Andrea

Does he speak any European languages? If so, I'd say that would be a good determining factor for where he should go. Everyone has their own dream (one hopes) about a place they'd most like to see or spend time in. For me it was Paris, for my good friend it was London. So, in conclusion, I vote for Paris. Just kidding - my vote is for anywhere he speaks the language, or if not, to the place that's HIS dream.

Old May 21st, 2001, 07:06 PM
Betsy

My folks did the same for me. I got an open jaw ticket into Amsterdam and out of Rome, a great all purpose guide book and money for the trip. I planned it all myself and it was my hobby for the year leading up to the trip. I wouldn't try to plan where he should go,lethim do that. Also the ticket will be cheaper if you wait until next winter for the 2002 summer. What a wonderful gift!

Old May 21st, 2001, 10:44 PM
yoly

Hello: <BR>My sister gave to his son an all around the world ticket and he got freedom to choose the places he wanted to go and how much time he wanted to spend in each one. He had a budget and stayed only in hostels. He had so much fun specially in Paris. <BR>When he went back home he took a year learning french and now he is going to live in that city in finishing his BA. We are so happy for him.

Old May 21st, 2001, 11:12 PM
Just Curious

Is he going by himself or with a friend?

Old May 22nd, 2001, 05:33 AM
Brian in Atlanta

A few points: 1) if he's planning spending all summer touring Europe, I don't think it really matters too much where he flies into/out of, though an open jaw is a good idea (maybe London/Rome). <BR> <BR>2) I don't think you'll be able to buy a ticket this far in advance. I think that you can only get them 335 days (or so) in advance (including the return trip). <BR> <BR>3) Let's Go Europe will be his best friend. Maybe give him a recent copy as a graduation gift and tell him the tickets are on the way.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 07:25 AM
Nik

I did the same thing as your son is going to do (I'm 28 now, but did it when I was 19). I would suggest just letting him loose and he can go wherever he wants when the mood strikes. He should try to check out Prague and some of the Eastern European countries if possible, they are pretty cool. Don't worry about the language thing, I didn't know how to speak any foreign language and that was part of the fun. Also, the Greek islands are a blast if you are young, single, and want a good time in a nice location!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 09:21 AM
Joan

Having done this myself at his age (a million years ago but some things do not change) I WOULD make a specific recommendation, unlike some of the other posters. If your son has not done a lot of solo touring, it would probably be useful for him to start off in England as they have a superbly organized hostel network and this is a great plactto start. Here he will find fellow travellers who share his paricular enthusiasms. Loneliness can be a bad buddy for the road, causing you to miss sights that might otherwise be the great hit of yur trip: sharing your dreams with other folks who "always wanted to climb Gran Sasso" or "hear Mozart in Vienna" or "walk the Cinque Terra" is your best aid to doing those things.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 01:13 PM
Jeanie

Many thanks for the feedback. It sounds like not so much has changed since I did a similar "Have plane ticket and Eurail pass, will travel" trip in the '70's. It's good to know some things are still great! <BR> <BR>My son does speak a bit of French, and he has travelled a bit as well. I expect when he finds out about the gift, he'll find a friend to go with. He's not the kind of kid who'll go to Europe on his own, at least not this first time sans a parent. <BR> <BR>Anyway, many thanks for your comments and any more that come online.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 06:40 PM
sdfsdf

How about asking your son where HE wants to go!!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 07:41 PM
clairobscur

<BR>For advices from people his age, I'd recommend the board on www.eurotrip.com, which catters for backpackers heading to Europe most of them being americans of college age.