where to rest stop on drive from Venice to Pienza

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to pick up rental car in Venice on a sunday in late may and drive to Pienza. On mappy.com it shows a drive of over 4 hours. any suggestions for rest stops to have a picnic. Public toilets anywhere? Will petrol stations be open? Do they have toilets?
any towns to stop in to break up long journey? Can we pull over to side of road easily to picnic? Is it easy to exit autostrada to visit some place and easy to enter again?
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 11:24 PM

First of all Pienza is a delightful place so you have picked a great destination. You can probably do it in four hours if you stick to the Autostrada, but there are many exit signs on the Autostrada with very enticing destinations so I am sure you will want to visit some of those. Of course you can't stop on the Autostrada, but it is easy to exit and enter. You will have to pay a fee every time you leave. Its not that expensive and well worth it.
The Chianti country is ideal for picnics so that is one option. Look for the Greve turnoff. Then there is San Gimigano or Siena and so many other places. Not all petrol stations in the country are open on Sundays especially in the very small villages, but as your car hire usually includes a full tank of petrol, that should easily see you through to Pienza. Italy is geared to tourists so finding a toilet should not be a problem. May is a big tourist month and an ideal time for travelling through Tuscany. The area around Pienza should look like every Tuscan calendar you have ever seen.Magnificent! The Pienza,Montepulciano,Montalcino road is one of the best.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 04:07 AM

Run viamichelin.com for that route---I suspect they may take you via Le Marche and Umbria. Whichever, I would stop at the Autogrills for gas and comfort and get to Pienza ASAP.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 04:18 AM
ira

Hi ginder,

I suggest using www.viamichelin.com and choosing the "avoiding tolls" option.

It will take you along the seacoast and through or past some interesting places to stop. 5:19 hr.

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Downunder, Bob and Ira this plan is coming together. Ill look at viamichelin.com too.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 05:27 AM

ginder,

I am pleased to see your plans coming together; I've been following your progress.

I too suggest stopping at AutoGrill. They are usually large, have nice food selections, clean restrooms, enough room to stretch your legs, and gasoline/petrol.

That way, you will be in Pienza before you know it. As others have said, it is a great area to visit.

Montalcino, Bagno Vignoni, San Antimo, San Quirico d'Orcia are among my favorite stops in the area. Latte de Luna is my favorite place to eat in Pienza. There is a place called La Palapa at Bagno Vignoni that I recommend, too.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi tuscanlifeedit, you're very kind. I'm glad you clarified what an autogrill is, I just assumed it was a petrol station! I will take note of your restaurant suggestions too.thank you.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:14 AM

ginder, you may have taken things to a new level of planning. At first we traveled to europe with only hotels booked/planned on our first night. Next we planned hotels for each night. Then I started planning most/all meals. Now you'll have me down to planning rest stops. I think my husband will rebel.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

hi julieVikmanis,I'm terrible.