Reload this Page >

Where to ouside of Nice?

Search

Where to ouside of Nice?

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 1999, 01:19 PM
Dianne Estes

Where to ouside of Nice?

We have one full day in Nice before we head home. Been there before, also Monaco, so thinking about a days drive to Aix with stops along the way. Of course, it doesn't look far on the map, but don't know about time-wise. Are there other places close-by that may be more interesting than what we have tentatively planned. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Old May 13th, 1999, 01:26 PM
Mary Ann

We are planning this fall to stop in Villefranche sur mer, between Nice and Monaco. Rick Steves recommended it, and it sounds nice, but we have not been there yet.

Old May 13th, 1999, 01:27 PM
Mary Ann

We are planning this fall to stop in Villefranche sur mer, between Nice and Monaco. Rick Steves recommended it, and it sounds nice, but we have not been there yet.

Old May 13th, 1999, 02:34 PM
Adrienne

Dianne, <BR> <BR>I takes about 2-1/2 to 3 hours to drive from Nice to Aix along the scenic route (N7), much less if you take the autoroute (expensive and boring). I'll be staying in the Riviera the beginning next week and here's my partial itinerary (all towns are doable from Nice): <BR> <BR>Beaulieu-sur-Mer -(Greek Villa) <BR>Villefranche -(chapel with Cocteau frescoes). Town is along the water and has small windy streets. <BR>St-Paul-de-Vence - very touristy but a great place. Lot's of boutiques among the narrow streets; church built from 12c to 18c, La Columbe d'Or restaurant with well-known art works on the walls, the Foundation Maeght (outdoor museum-modern art). <BR>Vence - Matisse's chapel (highly recommend this). Open Tues and Thurs 10:00 - 12:00? and the afternoon - don't remember the hours. <BR>Tourettes-sur-Loup - artisan's village - shops along the old ramparts. Two years ago bought a Provencal watercolor done by an elderly lady - her first attempt at watercolors. It hangs in my living room and every day I'm reminded of Provence. <BR>Biot - small delightful town - known for hand-blown glass (expensive) and pottery. If you go here don't just stop at the glass factory...continue up the hill to the old village. <BR> <BR>There's tons more to describe...email me if you want to. Would recommend checking some guide books out of the library even though it's hard to tell about a town just from a book...you really need the first-hand experience. <BR> <BR>Bon voyage <BR>

Old May 13th, 1999, 04:21 PM
Lynn

Dianne, <BR>Try visiting a small, medieval village of Eze. There is a castle on top of the mountain which is Chateau Eze. It overlooks the Mediterranean and has been converted into a hotel/quaint shops/garden and you can have a drink perched high in the mountains while overlooking the sea. It is a delightful 1000 year old chateau. You will enjoy it. Have fun whatever you decide.

Old May 14th, 1999, 12:23 PM
Dianne Estes

Thanks for all your suggestions. Seems there is a lot to see very close to Nice. I am curios about St. Tropez, though, is it worth the drive?

Old May 14th, 1999, 01:17 PM
lisa

I have to put in another plug for Antibes and especially its Picasso Museum if you've never been there. It is fantastic -- the afternoon I spent there was my favorite of the 5 days I spent in Nice. The museum is perched right on the edge of the Mediterranean, with a gorgeous view and a wonderful collection of his work -- witty, sad, and beautiful.

Old May 14th, 1999, 02:45 PM
D. Spiegel

The old town of Antibes is quaint and the market in the morning is fun. They have many charming, small restaurants. Also, St. Paul de Vence is interesting. Touristy, but interesting. Eze is fairly close to Nice.