Where to Next?

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 04:59 PM
xxxx

Where to Next?

Went to Italy in October - my first trip to Europe. I fell in love with Italy. I am planning my next trip in Oct. 02, and I am trying to decide where to go. I am an active, single, middle-aged lady and will probably travel solo this time. I really want to go back to Italy, but all my friends think I am nuts to go back to the same country. They are all suggesting that I should go to France, Spain or Greece. Because I am going solo, I think I would feel more comfortable going back to Italy and the cities I am now familiar with. It will probably be for 2 weeks. The South of France appeals to me too. Any suggestions?

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 11:31 PM
Joe

Sounds trite, I know. But, go where your heart takes you.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 01:46 AM
Rhonda

I agree, go back where you're comfortable. You couldn't've seen it all so maybe a little bit of old , a little bit of new and enjoy!

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 02:58 AM
Rhonda

I agree, go back where you're comfortable. You couldn't've seen it all so maybe a little bit of old , a little bit of new and enjoy!

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 03:14 AM
Santa Chiara

Ciao, xxxxx. As a middle-aged woman myself, I say return to Italy. I have lived here nearly three years and visited for 10, still haven't seen half there is to see. If not Italy, then France. I am uncomfortable traveling in Spain as a single woman. I have had too many unpleasant experiences to make me want to return alone. (Before you flamers begin, I am stating fact, not opinion, of things that have happened to me in Spain that have never occurred in France or Italy, or Greece for that matter.)

I would recommend that you try some new places, however. I assume you did the big three. I suggest some smaller, lesser known venues such as Bologna, Mantova, Padova, Trento in the north or Perugia, Assisi and Orvieto further south, not to mention the Amalfi coast, the Lake District (but I could go on and on.)

Have a great time, and as others have suggested, follow your instincts.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 05:12 AM
Maira

Italy is an amazing destination, and you are REALLY ready to explore some place else, I strongly suggest Spain. I'd been to Spain my myself and enjoyed it very much. During the trip had the opportunity to meet other people, including many females also travelling solo; a retired architect writing a book on Romanesque architecture, a retired bank secretary, an agricultural engineer, all were having a great time. Have fun planning!!

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 05:38 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

IMHO it takes about 6 weeks to see Italy, and Oct.is a good time to go.
This will be phase two for you. Here are some ideas to consider:

BOB the NAVIGATORS’ FIVE FAVORITE ITINERARIES

MAGICAL FAIRYLANDS:
* Arrive and depart from Munich--14 nites--May thru Sep.--car travel
* ITINERARY: Salzburg, Dolomites, Venice, Lake Garda, Bavaria
============================================
BELLA ITALIA:
* Arrive Milan, depart Venice--15 nites--car & train travel--April thru Oct.
* ITINERARY: The Lakes, Ligurian coast, Tuscany, Florence, Venice
CLASSIC ITALIA:
* Arrive & depart Rome--12 to 14 nites--car & train travel, all year
* ITINERARY: Florence, Tuscan & Umbrian hilltowns, Rome
LA DOLCE VITA:
* Arrive & depart Rome--12 nites--car & train travel--March thru Oct.
* ITINERARY: Amalfi coast, Tuscany hilltowns, Rome
OF ALPS & LAKES:

* Arrive and depart Zurich--12 nites--train travel--June thru Sep.
* ITINERARY: Berner Oberland, Lugano, Lake Como, Luzern
These are merely intended to be sample itineraries. Every TRIP PLAN is unique
and is designed to meet your personal travel style, budget, and preferences.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 05:47 AM
Bob C

Over the years my wife and I have always returned a second time to places we have liked. The second time you always know just what you want to do and how to do it. You will always have places on your list that you wish to go to. We still have not made it to Ireland and we are planning a second trip to France. So maybe Ireland after the second trip to France.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 08:57 AM
Kay

I go back to a place I really like several times, while adding somewhere new to the itinerary. I have been asked the same question. Why go back there? The answer is because I love it!

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 09:12 AM
xxxxx

Thanks for all the wonderful responses. My trip in October was a whirlwind trip, 21 days, Milan, Varenna, Venice, Rome, Sorrento, Orvieto, Sienna, Florence, CT (Manarola) Milan. It was wonderful, slightly exhausting, but gave me a taste of Italy and a yearning to return. I loved every place I stayed. The suggested itineraries were great!! I am leaning towards La Dolca Vita. I would like to go back to Rome and just soak up the atmosphere of Ancient Rome, sit on the Piazza Navona for hours if I want, stroll the streets and not be too concerned about "seeing" everything this time. I loved Sorrento and the Amalfi coast and could easily be by myself there for a week. I thank you all again, I think it's back to Italy. Maybe next time, Paris and south, or maybe 2 weeks in Umbria and Tuscany, oh man, too many places and not enough time or $$.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 09:50 AM
ellen

After my trip to Italy in October 2001 (my second trip in 20 years), I had the same problem. Wanted to return to Italy but also wanted to visit elsewhere in Europe. So this past spring, I jumped on a cheap flight to Frankfurt ($347 RT) from Philly and visited Salzburg, Bavaria, including Munich, the Garmisch area and Rothenberg, and the Rhine VAlley for 10 days. Then last week I used my frequent flier miles to spend a week in Rome. So this year I was lucky enough to go twice. You may not be able to do that but it did address both my desires - Italy as well as someplace else.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 10:43 AM
xxxxx

That sounds great. Unfortunately, I live on the West Coast, so I don't get any really good deals on flights. It makes it a little harder to budget for frequent trips. Also, going solo, I will have to pay full price for hotels, as opposed to sharing the costs with another person. But, I will not let this deter me. I'm not fussy about luxury hotels. Good location is a must tho. Part of my trip I'm hoping to get to Procida maybe for a couple of days - I wonder how the prices on hotels run there.