Search

Where to meet my teen at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to meet my teen at LHR

Hello,
My 2 daughters are arriving London a few days before us but on different flights. Older daughter on Virgin Atlantic is scheduled to arrive an hour or so before my teen on United. My search of Heathrow terminals says United is terminal 2 and Virgin Atlantic is terminal 3. Can those of you that are familiar with LHR suggest the best place for them to meet? We haven't established whether they will have immediate cell service or WiFi for WhatsApp upon arrival.
Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 11:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>My 2 daughters are arriving London a few days before us but on different flights<<

I'm confused by Pal's response -- so do they arrive a few days ahead, or a few hours ahead of you? Are you asking where they should meet each other, or where they should meet you?

Last edited by janisj; Mar 22nd, 2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 11:38 AM

I'd have older daughter finish through immigration/customs in T3, then head over to T2 immigration exit and wait for her sister. I also would not worry about having a map. I would ask someone from Virgin where to go to collect little sister coming in T2 on United Flight XXX. Then follow the signs to that area and wait. Little sister then exits immigration area and waits for, or looks for older sister to arrive.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 11:38 AM

There is a pedestrian underpass between the two terminals. The daughter arriving first can walk through to the other terminal and wait near the doors from immigration, or outside the WH Smiths shop.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 11:45 AM

<<We haven't established whether they will have immediate cell service or WiFi for WhatsApp upon arrival.>> There is free wifi at LHR, so they can login as soon as they arrive and be able to communicate on Whatsapp. Since the UA flight arrives after the VS one, I would suggest meeting at T2 at the official airport meeting point at T2, opposite the exit to international arrivals. It is marked with a sign so should be easy to find and meet up there.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 11:59 AM

>> Since the UA flight arrives after the VS one, I would suggest meeting at T2 at the official airport meeting point at T2,<<

That is IF both flights land as scheduled. No guarantees of that. But with wifi immediately available as soon as they finish with immigration - the first 'arrivee' should know the status of the other flight as soon as they exit Customs.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 12:07 PM

How old are your daughters?
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ
How old are your daughters?
If they are flying independently . . . old enough . . .
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 02:02 PM

I would recommend the LHR Central Bus Station. Directly between T2 and T3 and very well marked from both terminals. Easy walk via the tunnels. It's a single wide open space with waiting seats so if they can't communicate for whatever reason, it's very easy to spot someone in there.

I think this is easier and more straightforward than getting to another terminal (departures? arrivals?) and then finding the meeting point where seating around it can be very crowded and with multiple areas. "OK...I'm just outside the Costa Coffee...OK, you see me? I'm outside Costa Coffee too but where are you? Is there more than one Costa at the airport? Uhhh...dunno...like....maybe?"

Only downside is that the bus station is not the quietest and most comfortable environment to wait for a long period of time as compared to inside the terminals but it's safe and there are fairly comfortable seats.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 02:14 PM

If they are flying independently . . . old enough . . .>

there is a difference between a 13 and 19 yr old for example - with a 19-yr-old around I'd put any angst to rest and just look at map of terminals online and decide on one landmark to sit near - but if it is two young teens, I'd be a bit more concerned but really if phones and app works no problem. One ultimate backup should be the Information Desk in each terminal - if one does get disoriented have them page the other person.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ
If they are flying independently . . . old enough . . .>

there is a difference between a 13 and 19 yr old for example - with a 19-yr-old around I'd put any angst to rest and just look at map of terminals online and decide on one landmark to sit near - but if it is two young teens, I'd be a bit more concerned but really if phones and app works no problem. One ultimate backup should be the Information Desk in each terminal - if one does get disoriented have them page the other person.
I don't think they do any paging (or a "tannoy" as the crusty dinosaurs among us might say) at LHR . Maybe I'm numb to it but I don't think it's done.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 04:35 PM

did not imply that paging was routine but if a young solo gal was totally lost and could not find her sister I would hope they would as well as consult passenger lists if need be, etc.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they can get hold of each other via wifi then it should be fine but I would definitely have a back up plan. Years ago we spent hours waiting at Heathrow for family who, it turned out, were still at the hotel (grrrr). I'd say every half hour, on the half hour, they should be standing outside somewhere (pick somewhere obvious off the airport map). As a last resort, after a set time of waiting, they could meet back at the hotel. And be aware, as mentioned above, of two Costa coffee shops or two Boots pharmacies etc. Once I was waiting for my husband in a shopping centre near the escalators. He was also waiting at the escalators. Neither of us realised there were two sets. Easy to happen.

Kay
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! Daughter's are 29 and 16 (will be 17 day of arrival in London). If free WiFi actually works at LHR, that will be big step. If flights are on schedule my teen should have a WhatsApp waiting for her upon landing. If not, I like the suggestion from walkinaround
"LHR Central Bus Station. Directly between T2 and T3"
That seems like a good plan?
So my instructions to my teen will be:
1) Don't lose or lose sight of your phone or your passport EVER, EVER, EVER
2) After deplaning, follow the crowd to immigration. After immigration look for signs to LHR Central Bus Station
3) If you received a WhatsApp, older sister should be waiting for you there. If you didn't receive a WhatsApp, send one saying you will be there
4) If you mention being at a specific store,cafe, etc. watch out if there are multiple of the same name.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 09:25 AM

Her passport, except when actually needed, should be in a money belt, OUT of sight. Hers or anyone else's.

I use this, with the pouch worn at my back: https://lewisnclark.com/waist-stash/
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by thursdaysd
Her passport, except when actually needed, should be in a money belt, OUT of sight. Hers or anyone else's.

I use this, with the pouch worn at my back: https://lewisnclark.com/waist-stash/
I like the waist pouch but a couple of issues:

First, they need to have the passport out to enter the country. You can't have something hidden under your clothes and be taking it in and out in the immigration lines.
Second, many young women wear fairly low-waist pants and jeans. The waistpouch doesn't work with those pants, in terms of sitting down, the passport is too wide and of course it doesn't bend. It is very unpleasant.

Just as a thought, the outside zippered pouch of a backpack is the easiest to access by a thief. See if you can find a backpack with an interior zippered section or something similar. I also like some Baggalini purses that have an outside zipper and then an inner zippered section.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by jlub
Thanks all! Daughter's are 29 and 16 (will be 17 day of arrival in London). If free WiFi actually works at LHR, that will be big step. If flights are on schedule my teen should have a WhatsApp waiting for her upon landing. If not, I like the suggestion from walkinaround
"LHR Central Bus Station. Directly between T2 and T3"
That seems like a good plan?
So my instructions to my teen will be:
1) Don't lose or lose sight of your phone or your passport EVER, EVER, EVER
2) After deplaning, follow the crowd to immigration. After immigration look for signs to LHR Central Bus Station
3) If you received a WhatsApp, older sister should be waiting for you there. If you didn't receive a WhatsApp, send one saying you will be there
4) If you mention being at a specific store,cafe, etc. watch out if there are multiple of the same name.
I would add a backup in case one of their flights is cancelled by hours. The process for taking a cab to the lodgings. I think you would need to have the 16 year old take a taxi because right now you can't have a minor take Uber. And I'd send her with some pounds, not expect her to change money in the airport. $200 worth if she doesn't have her own credit card. Or maybe you can get her a card.

Last edited by 5alive; Mar 23rd, 2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 10:07 AM

First, they need to have the passport out to enter the country.
Of course, that is why I wrote "except when actually needed".

WRT low waisted pants, I rate security above fashion, but I'm not a teen. Some people use a neck pouch but I think they are uncomfortable and less secure. A good pickpocket can get into pretty much any bag.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Yes!! 5alive, the "backup" plan is still in question, i.e. if older sister's flight is really delayed. So the tentative backup plan for the teen is:
1) Send 200 pounds or so in cash
2) Provide teen with name, address, phone number and email of VRBO (her flight is scheduled to arrive 2:10 PM so good timing), instructions where / how to get a cab, estimated cost
3) Notify the VRBO of possible contact by teen in case of any unforeseen issues

I was pondering whether to send just $$s or send pounds. I see a recommendation to buy pounds at International Currency Express.

Regarding the money belt, that's a good reminder and we'll look into that. Older sister does all advising on clothing, dress, etc. so that should be resolved.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 11:04 AM

It's a long trek to the Central Bus Station, at least from T3, I would pick somewhere else. Either the exit from customs, where all the car service people wait, or a specific cafe. I'd probably pick the big Cafe Nero next to Boots right where people exit from customs. See: https://www.heathrow.com/file_source...row_T2_Map.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -