Reload this Page >

where to go with family after Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2001, 01:17 PM
jeri

We are a family of 4 (2 kids - 9 & 13) who will be spending 5 weeks in Scotland this summer. The parents will be working part-time during the week and we'll all be traveling on weekends. We have 1 week at the end when we can travel to another country and are trying to decide which one. <BR> <BR>What do people suggest? Ideally we would like someplace different than Scotland (eg don't want to go to England or Wales) but easy to get to by plane. We tried to do Iceland, but the air arrangements did not work out. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old May 8th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Ann

Jeri <BR> <BR>Have you considered getting a ferry from North Shields to Norway, Denmark, Holland? DFDS is the company who operate the ferries and also have holidays.

Old May 8th, 2001, 01:39 PM
Keith

I believe getting to Stockholm, Copenhagen or Amsterdam would be fairly easy, maybe Oslo too. If you don't mind leaving from Prestwick, Ryanair could take you to Frankfurt or Paris, not to mention many interesting continental destinations by connecting in Stansted.

Old May 8th, 2001, 01:45 PM
John

There are lots of easy flight (and now train) connections from Edinburgh or Glasgow to Amsterdam and Paris, either of which would be fun and educational for grownups and kids. Copenhagen also comes to mind.

Old May 9th, 2001, 02:25 AM
frank

Ryanair have just announced a new batch of European destinations fron Prestwick. <BR>These are cheap,eg $50 to Paris. <BR> <BR>They call it "Glasgow Prestwick" - its actually out on the west coast but has a fast train link to Glasgow Central. <BR>I met 2 Americans at Glasgow airport a few weeks ago who had gone there by mistake instead of Preswick.(they made it)

Old May 9th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Jeri

Thanks. We have been thinking about Copenhagen, Ireland and France. I have the feeling we'll be looking at lots of castles and scenery in Scotland & was trying to get an idea of someplace that would feel very different for the last week. Bear in mind that the kids have only limited interest in museums.

Old May 9th, 2001, 02:16 PM
John

I suspect a number of Fodorites would screech at the idea, but you...might... consider Disneyland Paris as a reward for the kids, or, better IMO, Tivoli in Copenhagen for a blast for everyone, parents too. If you have time, a driving tour of Denmark over to Jutland via all the HC Andersen stuff around Odense on Funen could culminate with a day at Legoland (http://www.lego.com/legoland/billund/) which might be okay, too.

Old May 9th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Jane

Jeri, <BR> <BR>I have recently suggested this to someone else after it dawned on me that it may not be well known. Have you considered Jersey? It is a Channel Island, just off France but belonging to UK. It is easy to fly to from Scotland. <BR> <BR>It is green, lush and very pretty with good weather (for UK!). It is strange because, although everyone speaks English and it has sterling currency, it has a definite French feel to it (I believe you can do a day trip to France). <BR> <BR>Amongst other things it has 'the zoo' - a conservation centre, a good selection of rocky and sandy beaches, green lanes (15 mph speed limit - ideal for cycling), horse riding, fishing trips....good family stuff. <BR> <BR>If you are interested try www.jersey.com