Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the best train route from Paris to other countries?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first time going back to europe (it has been 10 years since i last traveled) and I know nothing about the high speed trains. I will be flying into CDG paris at 835am on Sep 1. I'll be here for 7 days, and i want to use the highspeed train to travel throughout europe. What is the best route and places to go that will maximize my time in europe. Ideally, I want to visit brussels, basel, and spend most of my days in dijon burgundy region drinking wine and getting fat.

Any recommendations on doing this journey through high speed rail and best website to buy tickets? also can I use some kind of train pass where i can save some money. I am paying with dollars and exchange rate not that good.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 07:27 AM

You'll be there 7 days and want to "do" 3 major areas? You won't have time to eat, drink and get fat.

And if you think the exchange rate isn't that good NOW, you should have tried it a few years ago.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 07:27 AM

You'll be there 7 days and want to "do" 3 major areas? You won't have time to eat, drink and get fat.

And if you think the exchange rate isn't that good NOW, you should have tried it a few years ago.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 07:34 AM

To update yourself about the European rail system check these informative sites: www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

For a high-speed train ride take the bullet train TGV Paris to Dijon in Burgundy.

7 days ain't much - chose 2or at most 3 places near each other.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 08:02 AM

You certainly aren't going to manage Brussels, Basel and "most of my days in dijon burgundy region drinking wine and getting fat" in a mere 7 days! I'd suggest you spend all of your time in France.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 08:37 AM

especially skip Brussels on such limited time- many find it not so romantic - big modern city largely and not a wine center - now beer and french fries yes but not local wine.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 08:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Besides the above problems (not enough time) >>I am paying with dollars and exchange rate not that good.<< Where did you get the idea the exchange rate isn't good?

It is very good at the moment.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Ok so dijon and basel it is and skip brussels...good advice..most websites show train goring from paris to lyon then to dijon and its a 4hr ride...is there anything direct from paris to dijon? thanks
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 09:15 AM

You must be looking at TGVs going from CDG to Dijon. There are plenty of direct Paris-Dijon TGVs, but you have to go into Paris and leave from the Gare de Lyon. From there it's just under 2 hours.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

looks like gare de lyon is about an hour from cdg? whats the best way from cdg to gare de lyon? i heard traffic is always really bad...either way am I still looking at a 4 hour transit from cdg to dijon?thankss
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 09:35 AM

>> most websites show train going from paris to lyon then to dijon and its a 4hr ride...is there anything direct from paris to dijon? thanks <<

Building on StCirq's reply.
Mike,Gare de Lyon is a train station in Paris. As StCirq says- there are direct trains(TGV) between Gare de Lyon and Dijon(1hr 35 min).
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 09:38 AM

Take a cab from CDG to Gare de Lyon.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 09:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You could fly from CDG to Lyon. Flight time is just over an hour, and there are a couple of Air France flights (late morning, noonish) that would work for you.

Or you could fly to Basel first.

You'll still have a 3-4 hour train ride between Lyon and Basel and a long train ride back to Paris unless you fly that final leg too.

Did you want to spend any of your time IN Paris?
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 11:07 AM

You seem to be so fixated on the rail system that you are overlooking what you might actually DO in your one week. For example, you might want to pause at the Gare de Lyon and have lunch at Le Train Bleu. I'll let you look it up to see what it is.
Why don't you decide on what to do with your time in FRANCE and then work out how to get places.
Or are those your next questions.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

i know exactly what is is, and exactly what i will be doing, thus, i am asking about the trains, so I can GET to what i will be doing gretchen, can you help me out with that? what is the best, quickest way to get from cdg to dijon? anydirect trains no stops/transfers? i see its a 1 hr train from cdg to lyon then 2 hrs to dijon....nothing straight from paris to dijon? any websites where i can book directly? thx
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 11:34 AM

Yes, there are plenty of trains direct from Paris to Dijon, it only takes 1.5 hrs, most of them are direct. They leave from Gare de Lyon. And it doesn't take 2 hrs to get there, not sure where you are looking, it is 1:30-1:45 hrs.

try www.captaintrain.com for booking.

YOu can take the Air France airport bus direct to Gare de Lyon from CDG, also, costs a bit more than the train (around 15 euro, I believe) but you won't have to deal with the transfers, etc., it will be easier if you just have a bit more time, and it might not even take much more time with the transfer at Chatelet-Les Halles or Gare du Nord to an RER line that goes to Gare de Lyon, which can be long and trying. A lot cheaper than a taxi, also.

There is no way to get a train from CDG direct to Dijon, however.

I think it makes more sense to think about where you want to go and then think of what you want to do there, that's always what I do, also.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

alright perfect thank you Christna, looks like airfrance bus from cdg to lyon then to dijon... how much time do you think i should factor in from arrival to cdg then airfrance bus to Gare de Lyon? many thanks...i am coming in at 835am and planned on booking ticket from lyon at 1223pm...think that will be enough time? i have no checked baggage.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 12:27 PM

Skipping Bruxelles is a major mistake and a disgrace.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

dont feel offended, so little time much to do, theres just not enough time
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 02:55 PM

whathello likes Brussels and lives there, I believe. It is a shame but only so much time, as you say. I did enjoy visiting Brussels.

Luckily, taking the AF bus to Gare de Lyon, that is their first stop in the city. They may make a couple stops in the airport to pick up passengers at some other stops, depending where you are. The trajectory is probably about 45 minutes, and you may have to wait a few minutes for one, of course (I think they leave each half hour). If you check bags, I would expect you'd have them and be through passport control and out to the bus station (there are signs, they are just outside the doors, not far from baggage claim) in an hour. Maybe the bus would be 1.5 hrs total due to picking up others or traffic, could happen. In short, that is 2.5 hours total, booking for 12:23 would be good, I think, some leeway there. That's probably what I would do, also. YOu pay the driver. Anyway, the apparently now call them "Le Bus Direct" rather than Cars AF, here is their schedule.

You need Line 4. It's 17 euro. they leave every 30 minutes
http://www.lebusdirect.com/lignes-ho...tparnasse.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -