Where to go-smaller towns, not big cities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I am deciding where to take my next trip- I would like to go somewhere with smaller,less-touristed towns rather than big cities (although a city in the mix would be fine, too). I have been to Venice,Munich,Brussels,London,Salzburg and Ireland so those are out. I was thinking Czech Rep./Hungary area, or the Baltics. Does anyone have any input on this? We are looking to spend around 10 days or so. Thanks!
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 08:26 AM

Portugal or Sicily !
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 08:30 AM
ira

Have you considered Provence, Auvergne or the Dordogne?
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 08:30 AM

How long are you travelling ? What season ? What do you like to do on holiday ?

Maybe, Croatia ? The coastline and the islands are stunning. Tres cool country to visit at the moment.

Dordogne region of France - lovely little villages, fab food and wine,although depending on the time of year you go may not be 'less-touristed'.

I've only ever done a day trip out from Prague, wasn't exactly picturesque (grey, grey, grey) so cannot really add much to your idea of Czech Rep./Hungary. Depends what yr buzz is though.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 08:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Switzerland!
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Hi
Small towns are really fun. My wife and I usually try and avoid large cities. The smaller towns of the Czech Rep. ie: Telc, Kutna Hora or Cesky Krumlov, were wonderful and inexpensive. Also the small cities of Hungary such as Pecs and Egger. This year we are going to Poland next week and other than Warsaw and Lublin we are going to stay in southwestern Poland, as this is where there are several small interesting towns.
It's a much different feeing than the big cities. We like it better, but that's personal taste.
alan
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:46 PM

Since you said Czech Republic I'm going to suggest Prague. It's the major city in the Czech Republic but it's really not that big. Certainly not the feel of somewhere like London or Paris. There are really no highrise modern buildings, you can get around on foot without having to deal with public transportation, etc. It's really very beautiful. I had heard that, seen the pictures, etc before I went but I was still unprepared for how magical it was. You can also do lots of day trips from there to smaller towns like Czeky Krumlov, Kunta Hora, etc.

My other suggestion would be Tuscany - plenty of small towns there, and since you said one city in the mix would be fine you could do Florence as part of the trip. Even though it is a major city, it also is not so large as somewhere like Rome. You can walk everywhere there too.

How do you plan to get around (renting a car, trains, etc)? And what time of year are you going? Those will make a difference as to where people might suggest.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

I am looking at either mid-March or mid-May, for appx 10 days. As for what I enjoy doing, I'll usually check out the sights and then just enjoy the town. I will most likely use trains to get around, but I'm open to suggestions there also. Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 08:56 AM

Suze beat me to it...Switzerland!(sshhh...heathen and now probably Fodor-pariah that I can be, I was watching Rick Steves' the past couple of nights and he was travelling through Switzerland...) I was there as a teenager and loved it. I was inspired to find my way back.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 11:28 AM

You don't mention having been to Paris - the most wonderful destination of all. You could combine it with a trip to the Loire, Normandy, Provence or the Dordogne. Lots of small, charming towns in each of these areas of France.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 11:46 AM

In the Baltic countries the capital cities are as large as Salzburg. I am afraid I do not know the smaller towns in those countries, except Kaunas, which I liked a lot, but other people praise them, especially ports and seaside (in season). To Telc, Kutna Hora and Cesky Krumlov I add Ceske Budejovice, Olomouc, Ostrava, and Brno. To Pecs and Eger I add Sarospatak, Debrecen, Veszprem, Szombathely, Sopron (with the count?s palace just to the east, and in May the Eszterhazy summer palace at Fertod St Michael), and in summer Keszthely. Cesky Krumlov and Fertod St Michael are best reached by bus: otherwise trains are fine. If you find an InterCity train running to your town please take it: their standards are high.

[email protected]
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 12:18 PM
hsv

I basically agree with what Mr. Haines said about the Baltics.
Tourism in at least Latvia and Estonia is focussed on the capitals Riga and Tallinn.
You have to be aware that these countries are so small that almost every sight can be toured from a base in the capitals.
And whereas the touristic infrastructure has not yet been developped to the extent that it reaches far beyond the capitals, you still might have some options.

You might consider Pärnu, a lovely seaside resort that actually would be worthwhile to stay in. Especially the wonderful Bauhaus style Scandic Hotell Ranna right on the beach would be terrific. Ammende Villa is another option.

Otepää in South-Eastern Estonia is a popular winter destination being located in light hills and a few lakes in the surroundings. Viljandi makes for a daytrip from there.

In Latvia, Sigulda comes to mind. Located in the Daugava valley there is hilly terrain that offers a few hikes and castles. There are also two hotels that are up to Western standards.
On the Baltic coast, there is the town of Liepaja, from where you could tour the area of Courland, but I would rather advise to stay in Riga for the same purpose, as Liepaja still sports lots of abandoned Russian military barracks.

In Lithuania, a base in one of the villages on the Curonian Spit might be nice. Nida, for example, was the beach escape of choice of German poet Thomas Mann before WW II.

For information on all three countries, what to see, what to do, where to stay and eat, I would refer you to the widely acclaimed site of
http://www.inyourpocket.com

Whereas the often recommended Switzerland might meet your requirements a bit better, the much lower costs of a vacation in the Baltics might also appeal to you.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 01:47 PM

I love the smaller towns! Switzerland, Tuscany, Scotland, the Loire Valley, Spain...you have no shortage of options.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 04:34 PM
rex

Well, between the CR and Hungary, obviously you will find austria. And I can recommend Graz wholeheartedly.

I have also seen a nice article on Olomouc (CR) somewhere recently - - nytimes.com maybe? Let me know if you don't find it there; I'll scratch my brain further. There have been some favorable comments about it here.

I also had Gyor (Hungary) on an itinerary of a trip that I once had to scratch. Looked appealing, but I never made it there. I seem to recall that Ben Haines spoke favorably of this town sometime here in the past as well.

Best wishes,

Rex