Where to Go..>>Rome or Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are researching where to go for a holiday in November. We were in Paris in October last yr, but were there during the transportation strike so we didnt get to see everything we wanted to. He leans towards Paris because he knows the ways around and its familiar to him.

As far as Rome goes, hes worried because he's heard its really dirty there and that the food is terribly expensive. He likes the sites but doesnt know. I want to go to Rome. Convincing him is the problem. Does anyone out there have suggestions as far as whether to decide to go to Rome or Paris? As far as hotels go, we have had really good luck w/ Priceline and are budgeting $120 USD a night for four star. We were able to get a four star in Paris last year for $110 plus tax. So that really isnt too terrible of a problem. Just concerned with how expensive Rome is versus Paris and which one we should go to for a week in November.

Thank you Everyone, Ive had such good help before on this site!
-Shaina
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 06:38 AM

I don't use Priceline, but I don't think Italian meals are as expensive as Parisian meals, although you can find quite a range in either city. Rome is a bustling modern city, lots of traffic, however I didn't think it was 'dirty', just 'urban'. It doesn't have as 'elegant' a look in architecture as does Paris but the look and feel of old Rome is every bit as intriguing, in a different way.

I'd also check on weather averages for November for both places - does either typically see more rain? comparable sunup/sundown times? etc.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi Travelnut...well I checked in on Rome for November, it does say its a raining month. We are looking at the end of November, thanksgiving weekend. As far as Paris weather, its pretty much the same...some days could be warmer and no rain, and some could be rainy. We dont mind the rain really. And we love it to be cold!!!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:02 AM

I'd go back to Paris, but, if you have 10 days or so, I would go to Rome AND Paris as flights between the two cities are cheap!!!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

bozama, why would you got back to paris?
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:15 AM

We are going to do both like bozama suggested over New Years. We were in Paris over Thanksgiving last year...it was quite chilly and rainy and the metro/buses were on strike until the next to the last day we were there. We had a tour guide and saw everything on our agenda except the inside of Versailles. The civil servants decided to sympathy strike with the transportation strikers. But, we still had a wonderful trip. I think the weather made our photos even more beautiful.

I'll be following this thread regarding costs as well. I really didn't think the food was outrageously expensive in Paris, but we dined in more modest restaurants.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi nolefan1

Well Ive thought about that, but honestly last year when we were there we kept hopping flights and I just want to be in one location for one week. We only have six days of actual sight seeing! So this is where Im torn. Do we pay the money to see somewhere new, or do I go somewhere Ive been and enjoy a week of it. No I agree our meals werent expensive at all in Paris. They were what we figured they'd be at.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:31 AM

I would go to Rome. I love seeing the ancient monuments, the treasures of the Vatican, the markets and the sculptures that you come across in churches and piazzas. The food and wine is also very good. If you stay centrally, you can walk to mist sights and not worry about transport strikes.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:31 AM

I understand. We will only have 8 days to sightsee. At first we were just going to go to Rome but I just can't resist going back to Paris since it is so close. My husband hasn't been back since the mid 60's when he was a young teen.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
sdhall, I went to Rome for the first week of November last year and had nice and mild/balmy and only sprinkles of rain once. I LOVED it and didn't find it dirty at all. Don't confuse "old" with dirty...it is an ancient city!

I have been to Paris 4x before (5th next week!) and can't say one is any more expensive than the other. You can always find some place cheaper to eat or sleep anywhere if you look hard enough.

My vote would be for Rome, but that's because I miss it terribly and would go back in a heartbeat.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Been to Paris 5 times, Rome once.

Enough said!!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:40 AM

I personally love Paris, but have also grown fond of Rome. If neither of you have been to Rome, why not give it a try?

I have never found it to be more expensice than Paris...there are ways to make things more affordable in each city...for starters rent an apartment and buy food at lovely markets and make some meals

Good luck...you will enjoy regardless I am sure!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:47 AM

s,

I also vote for somewhere new! I love, love, love Rome. I liked Paris and would return, but I don't know when.

I would check your hotel prices vs. your planned budget. If you are American, the exchange rate has changed drastically. Luckily, November is low season and Rome will be about as uncrowded as it gets.

Buon viaggio!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:24 AM

My wife said that she'd never love a place as much as she loved Paris. But then we went to Rome and she fell in love with it even more. Seeing the Pantheon alone is worth the trip.
Rome is not dirty. In my experience it was basically just like Paris or London. It's an urban capital city, so you expect a little graffiti and litter. But it's no different than Paris IMO.

I love Paris...but I say go to Rome...and see the Bernini sculptures at the Borghese.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:40 AM

love Paris ( more than 20 visits) . Rome is a very different
city with wonderful churches, museums and , of course, all that history .
Rome is not hard to get around , the weather may be better than Paris( in Nov).
Since you have seen Paris, I would opt for Rome this time.
The prices are not that different.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:53 AM
ira

Hi S,

I'll be going on my umpteenth visit to Paris next month.

Still haven't gotten up the desire to visit Rome, although I have been to Venice about 8-10 times, and to other places in Italy.

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:03 AM

Ira!!!

I can't believe you haven't been to Rome yet! On my first trip, I didn't really plan any time in Rome because I had "heard" that it was a dirty, polluted, crowded, big city.

We had only 1.5 days there and I LOVED it! I had 5 days there last trip and decided I would like to live there for at least a couple years.....

So totally different from Paris. Hurry up and get yourself to Roma! I think you will be very surprised.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Wow, great advice everyone. Im totally leaning towards Rome, just for the fact I havent gone, and Im not sure how much the dollar is going to sink, better now than never! I do love Paris though, its a very captivating city. Ill be sure to print everyone's suggestions out.

Has anyone gone to the underground beneath St. Peters in Rome? Suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on places to eat in Rome? I had a patient last year who recommended a fabulous place in Paris and now Im hooked on everyones recommendations...
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:52 AM

I think I kind of dropped the ball a little on finding great places to eat. I was so caught up in the sights that I didn't plan much on dinner.
I had a very nice meal at Armando Al Pantheon. I'd recommend that. Great location too.

If money is not an object then La Pergola is an obvious choice. And I've been told that Del Pallaro is really terriffic and good value.
Da Baffetto makes great Pizza.

I didn't get to do the underground St Peter's Scavi tour.
Next time I guess...
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 12:01 PM

I love Paris, but having just gotten back from our 2nd trip to Rome, I would vote for Rome. My heart is still with Paris, but on our 2nd trip to Rome I really developed a feel for the city.

Last May we flew to Rome on a cheap fare with Eurofly. I also did not want to miss out on Paris as we have visited every year for the past 10. We were in Rome for 4 nights and then flew to Paris for 3 on Easyjet and then had to fly back for 1 night in Rome for our rt on Eurofly. It was too much back and forth in too short a time and I ended up feeling dissatisfied with both city visits.

This past March we once again got a good fare on Eurofly and flew to Rome and stayed put for 6 nights. We relaxed more and walked and explored more and just got a feel for the city. I came away really enjoying Rome and our vacation. Having said all this, I would recommend trying Rome and then maybe next year going back to Paris.

We also find that renting an apartment really adds to the whole experience for us. You might want to consider this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -