Where to Go...lol

Search

Where to Go...lol

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to Go...lol

Ok...I LOVE IRELAND....want to go back -- but yet I feel a pull to go somewhere new...
I want a nice, safe country -- where I can drive - lol -- but has that lush greenery (40 shades of green) that Ireland has. One where we can have fun at different things to see and do - but places of gentle reflection --

where you can have the beaches and the palm trees - lol - a waterfall and museums -- (yes...i konw ireland ireland ireland) . Perhaps a place where I can collect beautiful photographs and have a great time...

Any suggestions???

Money -- reasonable cost

going -- two of us -- (my sister in law and I -- brother recently passed)

Will be for about 10 days -- Really want to hear what my fodor forum friends think!

jeri
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 05:43 PM

Hmm...the driving requirement might be a bit of a challenge.

As for beaches and palm trees - how about Bali?

The "nice" and "safe" requirements are a bit vague.

In terms of money, going to Asia might be less expensive.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

LOL -- thanks Nancicita

Driving in Ireland was one headache! I'm not sure I'm up to it again - but I love Ireland -- actually researching trains and bus schedules for there!

Hadn't thought of Bali -- nice suggestion....Nice and Safe - I felt Ireland was safe all the time -- I worry about Italy, or some other countries - where I've read 'thread reports' of beware of this and that -- i guess anywhere can be nice and safe - true was too vague --

I meant money - not an issue - moderate costs - I felt Ireland was a moderate cost for a fabulous vacation -- some might have felt it too high - i didn't - well worth the value / cost ....

thanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 03:33 AM

Much depends on when your fabulous Vacation happens: I'd suggest Galicia or Principality of Asturias or Cantabria or Liebana (Green Spain) during June, for example, but after July 16th they become clogged with Tourists, mostly driving down from Germany or France
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 03:46 AM

the "gentle reflection" part caught me - this doesn't involve driving, but we did a river cruise: Rhine/Moselle in October - and it's the most restful, fascinating, enjoyable time! We used Uniworld (reasonable cost and loads of discounts right now) and we also worried about not being in control/driving ourselves, but the combo of hours most days in fascinating, OLD towns and then slow cruising past miles and miles of vineyards and more cute little towns, amazing castles, people watching on the shore (theirs and ours!), going through locks, swans everywhere....well, it absolutely amazed me how fun! We are NOT big cruise ship people, btw - this was 130 passengers and loads of staff, comfortable rooms, great uppper deck for lounging - in all, simply wonderful and might really suit your moods. (btw: we love Ireland, too!! And my husband is a retired Navy pilot who loves to drive - but this was an amazing trip for us!)
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 04:50 AM

Devon and Cornwall meet the requirements pretty much as do Wales and South west Scotland.
If you decide on Wales then try to get to Portmerion - plenty of palm trees, photo ops and Italianate architecture to photograph.

Or what about La Palma and La Gomera in the Canaries? Both green, palm trees, safe, waterfalls, great walking, easily driveable since they drive on the right.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 10:26 AM

What about the westcoast of Scotland? Nice and green, lovely beaches, stunning scenery, lochs and mountains. Kind of like Ireland in a more dramatic setting.

What? No palm trees? You will find plenty of them in Ullapool, at Inverewe gardens and Culzean castle. The beaches on the Isle of Harris rival any in the Caribbean, just as long as you don't expect to go swimming. And there are always the white sands of Morar.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

You guys are GREAT! Hollydalek -- I love the 'ISLE of Harris" as that's my last name! lol

This has given me much to 'reflect' on -- and if i do Scotland or Wales and Portmerion - maybe could still swing over to "Ireland" for a few days -- lovely lovely lovely!

Have printed this out and will be checking all referral places out -- even the cruise! I'm not a cruise person - but worth a look at! Thanks Everyone! ME!
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 07:39 PM

Good idea, there is a nice ferry trip from Stranraer to Belfast, or from Holyhead (Wales) to Dublin.

No matter where I go in Europe, I usually managed to squeeze in a little extra time in Scotland before coming home.
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 03:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Switzerland.... safe, beautiful, mountains, lakes, palm trees, drive or train, not cheap however but if you love nature it is gorgeous.

gruezi
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 08:40 AM

Re Italy: driving and feeling safe. I drove in Italy, but not in any city, we parked and did public transport. The motorways never felt crazy to me. I am sorry that you have taken the tales of a few to heart. I never felt unsafe in any of the Italian cities we visited (and I am a gawking country hick!) but I wasn't wandering down dodgy alleys or out in the wee hours of the morning. I was also in crowded tourist areas. I loved Italy. Our itinerary took us from the Cinque Terra, Lucca, Pisa, San Gimignano, Ferrara, Venice, Bolzano and back to Milan.

What I am saying is, do NOT cross Italy off your list.

Portugal might fit your criteria. While I didn't see any palm trees, Belgium, the Netherlands, Brittany and Normandy in France, and Bavaria in southwest Germany as well as places mentiioned above might fit your criteria.

Good luck choosing and then have fun!
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

You sound well travelled Irishface -- i like that -

Ok -- NOT taking Italy off the list - I get 3 weeks of VT this year -- and I have this desire to go somewhere else - but Ireland always brings me back -- i am not sure I can go somewhere else yet -- or.....may go to Ireland for 5-6 days and add on somewhere else from there -- i've been researching trips from Dublin to London/Scotland/Italy - may tack it on at the end of the trip - extend my return from Dublin date and fly around to Italy for another week - then back to Dublin - then back home - not sure yet! But thanks for advice -- i REALLY appreciate it!
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

ok....here is what i think we have planned - lol

last week of august - first week of september --

flying into London - staying there for three days - flying from london to belfast...seeing the giant causeway, bridge, etc. - going to derry then donagel then to ennis -- then lastly to dublin for 1.5 days - then fly back to london ....for 2 days then back to usa -- lots of flying - but able to see london and other sites -- may extend britian - but going to be in ireland for 8 days ...i'm excited -- and will see a totally differnt part of ireland -- then my next trip to ireland will go back to my favorite places -- i hope to go at least once a year ....so love ireland! thanks for all the advice!
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 05:14 PM

Hi Think you should consider one of two - So Africa with a few days driving thru the lush vineyards and then either beach time off of Capetown or safari - All are awesome OR my very 1st favorite is a cruise (no driving involved) from eith Quito or Quayiquil (sp) to the galapagos islands. Either were memories of a lifetime and I truly wish they could be repeated. Puhket Thailand was also awesome but that was before the devasation so not sure how rebuilt it is. Driving is So Africa is easy since you have driven in Ireland and so very many things to see. Explore and have fun.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

JK!!! Wonderful WONDERFUL suggestions! I've always wanted to do a safari - would LOVE those photos! and vineyards in So. Africa - very nice!

Not a big cruiser -- tend to get sick! But just the other day someone mentioned the galapagos island -- and here you did as well! too cool!

jeri