Where to go in Europe!

Search

Where to go in Europe!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go in Europe!

My husband and I have two weeks to travel to Europe. We don't want to go to London or Paris because he has already been to both places. What are the best countries to visit? Anywhere/thing that we must see?
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 11:15 AM

The best places to visit, in all of Europe? Surely you can at least narrow down what countries interest you most? I'd suggest getting out a good map, guidebooks and videos and start from there.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 11:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Switzerland?
The Netherlands?
Austria?
Germany?
Spain?
Portugal?
Italy?
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

We have been thinking about Prague, Rome, Amsterdam, and/or Athens. We only have two weeks and we want to go to more than one place...do we have enough time to actually see the cities?
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Doble_Vergasser

You will probably get a riot of responses on this forum.

What time of year do you intend to go?
What are your budget limits?
Do you want an intense, machine gun two weeks or do you want some relaxation time (somewhat age related)?

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 11:26 AM

It of course depends on what your interests are. Please identify them:

If it is physical scenery:

Provence
Ireland in the west,
Italy, Tuscany

If it is art and culture,

Spain, Madrid, or Barcelona
Italy, Florence

If it is cuisine,
France, Lyon
Italy, Bologna
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Doble_Vergasser

In addition to the days flying from U.S. (or wherever) you might think this way: three days minimum between chagiing hotels (and loctions). For big cities with a long list of must sees then more days. Do you have a major interest: Art, old buildings, major architecture, mountains, historical sights, beaches?

Possibly this: fly into Rome, some days in small towns and country side (Tuscany and or Lakes) then Venice. You could add Switzerland if you are okay with a faster paced trip.

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

We can only go in February. We are in our mid-twenties, so we can do the fast paced trip.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 11:41 AM
rex

Which languages do you speak?

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 11:42 AM

...er...
have YOU been to London or Paris?
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 11:57 AM

prague is a must it is one of the fastest growing destinations for all types of travelers, it has culture, museums good food and if you really want to it has partying too.
provence and tuscany are beautiful and romantic too, tuscany has the best gelato in the world there is a store where gelato was created (i love icecream). Rome is good to see but be careful of pick pockets. I am originally from scotland and of course would recommend going there specially edinburgh and glencoe. Lastly i would recommend venice, it is beautifull architecturally.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Gosh, the possibilities are endless. You can get tons of suggestions from others. But where is it that the two of you want to visit? So you say Paris and London are out. Then you must have some ideas. If not, as suggested, do get a Europe guidebook at least and read the summaries of each city/country that's featured.

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 12:17 PM

You have millions of possibilities and I think you need to provide more information about what you want out of this trip before you get some good ideas.

You mention Prague, Rome, Amsterdam, and/or Athens. Do you mean all in one trip? While that would be possible and they are all great city destinations, they don't fit well together for one trip. I wouldn't plan a trip to the US and decide to combine Boston, Miami, San Diego and Seattle in one go (not exactly the same, but you get the idea).

As an example, you could easily spend two weeks in Italy, see a lot of different things (cities, countryside) but that's all one country and would still be quite fast-paced.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 01:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
maria-- You might want to make another post and put *all* the information in the original posting. Many people only read that first question and then reply.

For example they wouldn't have read the additional information you gave later such as:

"We have been thinking about Prague, Rome, Amsterdam, and/or Athens. We only have two weeks and we want to go to more than one place"

and

"We can only go in February. We are in our mid-twenties, so we can do the fast paced trip"
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 01:44 PM

You could go to Italy and after to Sicily.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 02:02 PM

I just visited several places in Spain and while I liked it and had a great vacation it definitely wasn't my most favorite place I have ever been. Last summer I went to Scottland and I absolutly loved it. It is a beautiful country and the people are great.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 08:03 PM

I haven't read the other responses, but you can't go wrong with Spain. There is so much great stuff to see and do there no matter if you go south, north, east or west. 2 weeks will get you through one section of the country nicely. Another of my favorites is Czech Republic and Poland. Spend a few days in Prague and pick one or 2 other towns in the Czech Republic, then spend a few days in Krakow and pick one or 2 towns to see in Poland. Or for a really fasinating adventure go to Croatia and travel up the coast there. Just my opinion, but I spent 1 day in Athens and that was enough. There are some very good museums and ofcourse the Acropolis is truly amazing, but that does not make for a whole vacation! The Greek Islands are another story, but after shopping, laying out is the name of the game.