Where to go from Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2019, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, we are flying to and from Barcelona ( from west coast in US) June 10-21. We have two teenagers ( boys age 14 & 15), who enjoy beach’s a lot.
So does anyone has recommendation on where to go from Barcelona? Is Valencia better Or San Sebastián Area? Or does anyone recommend going toward south of France beaches? Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 06:36 PM

Valencia is a lovely city with great beaches.
Three hours by train from Barcelona.

Old Apr 20th, 2019, 08:16 PM

Collioure is one of the most beautiful spots in France. It is a traditional Catalan village with a couple of terrific beaches right by a castle and church with stunning Catalan architecture. You will not be alone, however. Great for people watching. There is also a dramatic cliff/shore walk north from Notre Dame des Anges to Ouille Beach. All along the coast south of Collioure to Banyuls there are little beaches protected by forts, redoubts, lighthouses. Very picturesque and they all make for good exploration along the rocky shore.

Catalonia stretches on both sides of the Spain/France border, with Barcelona and Perpignan being the twin capitals. Perpignan has the Palais du Roi de Mallorca, definitely worth visiting, and also a major Dali mural in the train station.
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 08:17 AM

I just returned from a trip where I went from Barcelona to Tarragona to Valencia. It wasn't beach season (although I walked along them) but all three cities do have beaches. Tarragona has Roman ruins that might be interesting to that age (only takes a day or so to see it, it's a small city). I was pleasantly surprised at how much I loved Valencia. Just gorgeous. And there are a couple of castles that are easy half day trips from Valencia.
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 05:23 AM

Barcelona is a beach city itself, with long stretches of sand within easy reach on public transit.The teenagers can go to their computers to check it out.
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 11:10 AM

How long will you be in your destination city - San Sebastian is a long way from Barcelona - Valencia - a cool old town with a modern beach area would be great as would a ferry or flight to Ibiza area though may be too much a party scene.
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your info. total trip is about 10 days so we thought we split it between Barcelona and one or two other cities. Any other town that you recommend ( non beach town). Thanks.
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. That was helpful. The boys love Roman ruins so that might work well.
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 03:09 PM

Off-beat option - take overnight ferry (and all day) to Italy - landing near Rome at Civitavecchia with trains to Rome. Kids can overdose on Roman ruins! 4-5 days in Rome will be so fun.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 12:46 AM

Hello, i recommend you to visit Mallorca!! Flights from Barcelo are really cheap and its only 25 min of flight.
Personally the island has the best beaches and entertainment for all ages.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 07:29 PM

It depends which direction you decide to take
going north. - Bilbao and ,for beach time , Santander or S. Sebastian ( both very popular )
If you head to Valencia.., day trips to Cuenca or/ and Xativa could be “no beach” days.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 07:46 PM

Start of June the weather is still a little iffy for the beach. It should be sunny and warm but the further north you go the greater the risk it won't be.

The advantage of Barcelona is the beaches are in walking distances of the touristy parts of the city. The disadvantage is the beaches aren't exactly pretty. For the most part they're more or less manmade. A nice break if you are visiting the city but if you want beaches maybe not the best idea. You need to decide if you want beaches or?

Please don't take the ferry to Rome. If you want to come here fly. Save yourself time and money. Or read the reviews and decide for yourself.

I really liked Valencia but the beaches from memory are harder to get to from the city centre.

It would help if you gave us some information on other interests.

I'd point you towards Seville in the south. If you could change your dates or extend the trip a few days the Fest St. Joan in Barcelona is the 23rd. Start in Seville and maybe the odd daytrip. End in Barcelona for the festival.

But that's what I would do.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 08:05 PM

Yes, beaches in Valencia are not as close to town as in Barcelona
There is good transportation from the centre.

Malaga is a nice town on the beach ..
for non beach time - Seville?
it will be much warmer in Andalusia than the north.