Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to go for a 4 day weekend in September as a surprise birthday present?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 06:13 AM
Jeanne

I would like to suprise my husband with a long weekend in Italy for his 40th birthday which is in late September. I know that we could never do Italy justice in only 4 days, but I would like to pick a special place where we can stay for the entire weekend. We will be traveling from NYC. <BR> <BR>Thank you.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 06:49 AM
Diane

Something I've begun to consider as an alternative to the Caribbean: Capri! If Sept airfares are as low as they were last year, it will probably cost less and you don't have to worry about hurricanes. In late Sept it may not be tropical weather, but should be lovely.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 09:34 AM
dale

delta non stops to venezia 8:10 pm. it is simply the finest city in the world. the return is 12:30 pm. donnn't miss it. ciao.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 09:54 AM
John

Jeanne, <BR> <BR>Great birthday surprise. . . does the 4 days include travel? <BR> <BR>If so you may want consider Milan or Rome. There are better options for flights, leaving more time for relaxing. <BR> <BR>If not, you may want to consider the Amalfi Coast / Capri south of Naples.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Liam

Dublin.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 10:21 AM
col

Suggest Sorrento,great location looking over to Naples & vesuvius. Lots to do ,Pompei,Herculanem,Amalfi Drive,Capri and lots more.Or just chill by the pool! If you want any more info,hotels etc. you can E-mail me. <BR> Hope you have a great time!

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 11:42 AM
jeannine

I just did the long weekend birthday surprise for hubby--Left Newark on Thursday for Rome. Napped briefly on plane--got to Rome in a.m.--dropped bags at hotel--walked the streets and shopped, ate lunch, etc until about 3, caught a few zzzzz's, then back out for the evening. Saturday-Vatican, Sunday Forum, Colloseum, and more walking around. Monday am, home. It was fantastic!!! We really felt like we were away, even with the 16 hours of flight time. I would not have wanted to go anywhere else though, such as down to Naples or Capri--too many forms of transport for a long weekend!! <BR> <BR>Have fun