where to go besides Paris, London, Rome

Mar 18th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

where to go besides Paris, London, Rome

Need help from the seasoned European Travellers. Planning a ~2wk vacation. My wife and I are at a lost as to where to go next. Been to London,Paris,Rome,Venice,Milan,Amsterdam. Sad to say, we are not the adventurous-go-anywhere with a map and back-pack types as many of you. We like fairly develop tourist locations with a well defined list of sites to visit, hotel-pickup tours are nice. Convinience/comfort would be more important than budget. Shopping for the wife is a bonus. Considering Vienna+switzerlan+prague, or madrid+provence+nice(not sure what to do in provence or nice) maybe Florence (an easy location with lots to see). Also considering Asia, but that's another forum. Any itinerary suggestion is really appreciated. Thank you all in advance!
Mar 18th, 2006, 05:02 AM
ira

Hi T,

When?

How many times have you been to UK, France and Italy?

Mar 18th, 2006, 05:13 AM

You have listed some good alternatives (maybe not in that mix, though...). My advice would be to prioritize by choosing a selection criteria and see which one of those alternatives fit it best. Bottom line, Europe isn't going anywhere and you can get to all eventually

This is what I gather from your message:

Must have:
-cities/tourist locations
-day tours packages availability
-comfortable transport btw/bases
-Good Shopping

My suggestions would be:

-Spain (Madrid-Barcelona-Andalucia)
-Provence/Cote D'Azur
-Vienna-Prague
-Germany-Austria (Munich-Bavaria Region-Rhine Valley-Salzburg-Innsbruck)

What time of the year would you be going?
Mar 18th, 2006, 05:15 AM

If you can an open jaw flight, say arriving in Zurich (or vice versa) and departing from Vienna, then you could probably do you Swiss/Vienna/Prague combo. If you have to fly in and out of the same city, then that might be too ambitious for three weeks (unless you like packing and unpacking).
Actually, Provence+Switzlerand would be easier. If you want to see Alpine vistas, then drop Switzerland from the Vienna+Prague trip and put in the Salzburg countryside instead.
Vienna certainly meets your wish list of comfort, convenience, shopping, and sighsteeing.
FWIW, a friend who went to Krakow with me last week and who had been in Prague last year, said he preferred Krakow to Prague on several levels. But if you plan to shop for crystal, the Prague would be the best bet.
Anyway, yours is a nice dilemma, let us know what you decide!
(note: for hotels in Vienna and Krakow, we found some of the best rates from the www.hotel.de site.)
Mar 18th, 2006, 05:16 AM

Oops, meant two weeks, not three.
Mar 18th, 2006, 05:29 AM

I think that these Prague and Vienna would be a nice base upon which to build a 2 week trip.

Prague is fairly compact and walkable, with well defined attractions and amazing beauty. Vistas including the river, the Charles Bridge, the Castle, and the many spires of the city make for failproof pictures. There are lots of tours of the city; most of the walking tours meet in the old town square. There are day trips that leave from the square or pick you up at your hotel. 3-4 nights would give you a good flavor of the city.

Vienna has a lot to offer and is a wonderful cosmpolitan working city. There are wonderful museums, churches, palaces, and cultural events. The Kunsthistorisches Museum is one of the world's premier art museums, and the Albertina has an amazing collection of Old Master drawings. The coffee shops and pastries are legendary. Again, 3-4 nights would be good.

You could add in Salzburg and Munich. Salzburg is picturesque and small enough to see the highlights in 2 nights. Munich is warm and lovely, and there was good shopping, as well as its many attractions. Any of these destinations are as visitor-friendly as the destinations you have already visited.

Alternatively, you could combine Prague and Vienna with Budapest. I haven't been there, though, so can't comment on it.
Mar 18th, 2006, 05:34 AM

Oops, I meant to say "I think that Prague and Vienna..." (and I did preview!!). One other point, you can travel between Vienna, Prague, Munich, Salzburg, or Budapest by train very easily.
Mar 18th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies so far, please keep them coming.

Some answers for those so helpful: Timing is flexible sometime between April to May. Been to London/Paris twice, everywhere else I listed only once.

Viajero2: your must have is perfect, well, more of a good to have than must. Thanks for all the suggestions. I probably know what to do in Vienna-Prague. I've considered Provence/Cote D'Azur, I need to research more about it, looks like beautiful places to visit, but not sure what to do (besides walking around), same with the other places (well, spain maybe a little easier, bullfight-museums-paella...) Please excuse my ignorance. I really need to improve.

BTilke, I'll consider open jaw. For Swiss/Vienna/Prague do I take the train between these. Within the cities, do I need a car or is public transport good enough

Seems like nice/Monaco would fit my needs?

Any additional itinerary suggestion welcomed

Mar 18th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

thanks noe847
Mar 18th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

anymore? thanks
Mar 18th, 2006, 12:25 PM

I was in Copenhagen and Stockholm right after Christmas...both are wonderful cities. Just a thought.
Mar 18th, 2006, 07:49 PM

You should consider Portugal. There is so much to do and see;read on the "Things to do and see in Lisbon" for some examples.
Mar 19th, 2006, 04:54 AM

"Considering Vienna+switzerlan+prague, or madrid+provence+nice(not sure what to do in provence or nice) maybe Florence (an easy location with lots to see). Also considering Asia, but that's another forum. Any itinerary suggestion is really appreciated. Thank you all in advance!"

Florence is far less interesting than Rome or Venice, so I wouldn't make a special trip.

Forget Madrid. Not much there. However, Andalucia would be a good choice: Seville, Ronda, Nerja, Granada all excellent. And Spain is relatively cheap, so you can afford to live it up a bit.
Mar 19th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

lmhornet: thanks for the info on Florence, good feedback
Mar 19th, 2006, 04:07 PM

Please don't write Florence off that easily based on one comment. You'll find plenty of people here (me one of them) who've made repeat journeys and still haven't seen it all. If what you are truly looking for is "a well defined list of sites" you can't go wrong with Florence. I'm not sure you could get 2 weeks out of just Florence, but with all the sites in Florence proper, then Pisa, Siena, Luca, Bologna, and maybe a guided ride through Tuscany, I'd be hard-pressed not to fill that time!

That aside, I think Budapest/Prague/Vienna/Salzburg might be an interesting combination. I've seen Prague and Vienna and wish I'd made it to the other two.
Mar 19th, 2006, 05:21 PM

I agree with Amyb regarding Florence. The masterpieces of Michelangelo, Donatello, Leonardo da Vinci, Bernini, Botticelli, Ghiberti, della Robbia, the architectural wonder of Brunelleschi's Dome and the works of dozens of other Renaissance artists make Florence an interesting place to visit. Toss in that Chianti and Tuscany are just down the road and you have a destination that competes with almost any other destination in Italy.

But to address your original question: Think beyond each country's main cities. You don't have to be adventurous to have a great trip to middle-sized and smaller cities serviced by the excellent train systems in Italy, Switzerland and France and the ferry system in Switzerland and Italy.
Mar 20th, 2006, 05:40 AM

"I agree with Amyb regarding Florence. The masterpieces of Michelangelo, Donatello, Leonardo da Vinci, Bernini, Botticelli, Ghiberti, della Robbia, the architectural wonder of Brunelleschi's Dome and the works of dozens of other Renaissance artists make Florence an interesting place to visit."

Exactly what I said. Not that interesting, except to the culture Nazis. There is no reason to go all the way to Europe to do nothing better than waste time in museums that they would ignore if they were next door at home.
Mar 20th, 2006, 03:38 PM

Only "culture Nazis" appreciate some of the greatest, most beautiful art created by man? Geez.
Mar 20th, 2006, 04:20 PM

You know, two somewhat opposing concepts can be equally true. Florence is home to some of the world's great art and architecture. But when we stayed there (Fiesole, actually) for 7 days, it was probably 5 days too long - for us.

But "culture Nazis?" Ease off on the rhetoric, big boy.
Mar 20th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Pausanias

Imhornet --

The correct term is "culture vultures." Proud to count myself among them, and begging your sublimely idiotic pardon, I regularly visit my local outlet, the Metropolitan.

Go "soak up some atmosphere" until you're blue in the nose.

I happen to agree with you about Florence.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO