Reload this Page >

Where To Get The BEST HAGGIS in Edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 04:21 AM
Hungry I

Off soon to Edinburgh and I MUST try haggis. So for those in the know, where is the best place for haggis, real authentic haggis? I look forward to eating some haggis but I do want it to be the best, the cream of the crop so to speak. Thanks

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Sheila

I feel I'm falling into a troll trp, but here goes nothing.....<BR><BR>The best haggis is Macsween's. If you look on their web site, they list the restaurants they supply.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Worried

Have you thought of trying the new Haggis in a Tube?

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Hungry I

Sheila - thanks. No this is NOT a troll, I really am leaving tomorrow and I DO want to try haggis. I will check out the site you mention. Again thanks and I look forward to my visit to your fair city.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Barbara

I agree with Sheila that Macsween's is the best. Most good restaurants probably use Macsween's. If you will be preparing your own, there is a butcher in Comely Bank called Proudfoot who makes excellent haggis, almost equal to Macsween's.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:12 AM
pam

That's Haggis in a Tube (TM), please.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Worried

What does the (TM) stand for? Tripe Mashed?

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:55 AM
kalena

I have been told the best haggis has Drambuie in it. Or maybe it was if you have a Drambuie, it's the best haggis. <BR><BR>Notwithstanding its offal content, I did not find haggis at all offensive. Kinda like corned beef. A taste or two will do.<BR><BR>Came back with haggis-in-a-can. Did not see it in tube.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 01:25 PM
carolyn

I found "best haggis" to be an oxymoron.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 02:02 PM
kalena

The official haggis jingle:<BR><BR>All that offal...not offensive!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Uncle Sam

We ate haggis about four or five times while we were in Scotland. We loved it and the interesting this is that it's a lot like chili or BBQ in the US. <BR><BR>It's all called chili and it's all called BBQ, but no two people cook it the same and therefore there is always a variation in the taste from place to place.<BR><BR>In the restaurant in Edinburgh it tasfed spicy, yet in Pitlochry it tasted spicy but with a stronger liver tatse.<BR><BR>Regardless,,with tatties and neeps and a couple or four or five Tenants lagers it was great!<BR><BR>US