Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to find high quality art and crafts in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling to these areas:
Pompeii
Amalfi Coast
Umbria
Rome

Please advise where we can find high quality art-- specifically paintings by locals-- and handmade crafts e.g. ceramics, glass, etc..
Thanks so much.
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 04:05 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deruta
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 04:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You'll find ceramics all over Umbria, but much of it comes from Deruta and Gubbio. We also found nice pieces in Assisi and Siena.

We bought some small glass dishes in Spoleto to take home to family. We were told they were made locally, but who knows. They were definitely hand-made, not mass-produced.

We bought lovely table linens in Todi, but also saw some very nice pieces in Spello and Montefalco. We were told about a textile workshop (Brozzetti) in Perugia but didn't look for it, though we did see a textile collection in a Perugia museum.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying a sample of traditional embroidery made in Assisi called punto Francescano. The shop was closed, we meant to go back and forgot.

In Bevagna, we stumbled on a small hand-made paper factory.

A travel magazine I receive says the Lake Trasimeno area is known for cashmere and lace (pizzo d'Irlanda). For lace, the article mentioned visiting Isola Maggiore and Panicale.
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 04:53 PM

Every town and village in every place you're visiting has a website with a list of the vendors and artists on it. You can either wander through all of these places looking for touristy shops or do some research in advance and scope out the websites of particular artists and artisans. The websites will also clue you in to expositions and events where local artists will be displaying their wares.

Isola Maggiore is indeed a venue for handmade lace products most people won't stumble upon. Panicale, not so much, but there are some good shops there. There is also a huge ceramic shop on the shores of Lago Trasimeno near where the boat leaves for Isola Maggiore that has some interesting and unique wares.
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions!
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 05:48 PM

It was many years ago but we bought a beautiful ceramic wall clock in Rome on one of the streets leading into the Pantheon. The clocks were flat discs, beautifully glazed in the raku mode, many with words on them. Ours says 'omnia vincit amor' and is mostly a dark blue and dark gold glaze.

I believe this is the shop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chjOnpd7S94

If you're going to be in that area, it's certainly worth a look.
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 07:06 PM

Deruta is a treasure trove for hand made ceramics. Hint: go to top of the winding road and work your way down. The best artisans are on he top
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 09:35 PM

Naples has presepe (Christmas nativity scenes) which are hand made and sold on Via San Gregorio Armeno.
The Amalfi Coast is famous for its ceramics, lemon products and sandals; Sorrento for inlaid wood.
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 04:37 AM

The amalfitan coast is famous for its ceramics! But to be honest, I've found the most beautifull ceramics from the amalfitan coast on Etsy!
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 07:00 AM

For ceramics in Umbria go to Deruta. Elizabeth Minchilli has several blog posts on the subject. My favourite workshops are Ubaldo Grazia Mod and Fima. I love the glass glazing they do at Grazia, the designs at MOD and the service at FIMA. FIMA is very easy to work with if you want changes to the designs. Sberna if you are a bit more cost concious.

If you have time, see if the ceramics museum is open. It's fantastic.

http://www.elizabethminchilliinrome.com/?s=deruta
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 05:40 PM

We have serving pieces from both Grazia Deruta and FIMA (as well as some smaller items from a few other shops). We had them shipped home at a relatively reasonable cost. Both shops are in the lower (newer) part of town and are very helpful and accommodating. They will gladly give you tours of the workshops. For the level of craftsmanship, we found prices to be pretty reasonable.

I recommend the ceramics museum in Deruta as well.
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Deruta sounds like the place to be to buy ceramics. Thank you all for your recommendations.
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 01:51 AM

It depends on what you are looking for too! Each town has its own style! Deruta is different than for example Vietri sul Mare, so you have to do some research about what you like!
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 03:57 PM

Also, since you're going to the Amalfi coast, the small town of Vietri sul Mare is nothing but ceramics shops - we stopped enroute (by car) to visiting the ruins at Paestum and I was completely blown away by the choices and prices. Like Deruta, you will be overwhelmed by the options. Italy is a treasure trove of crafts- you will find things everywhere although not everything may be to your taste. Also the main department store in Sorrento (can't recall name, sorry but I think its something and something- two names!) has beautiful linens - I have bought from them on both our visits there.
Old Jul 26th, 2016, 05:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A friend sent me an article about lace-making in Italy. Besides the immediate Lake Trasimeno area (Isola Maggiore, Tuoro sul Trasimeno), it also mentioned Panicale (south of the lake), Corciano (east of the lake) and Orvieto. There are schools or classes in these towns as well as in Perugia and Bolsena, and the Museo del Merletto (Lace) is in Tuoro.
Old Jul 26th, 2016, 08:25 PM

In Perugia there was a Saturday market by the fountain at one end of the main drag in the upper/ancient town, which includes the Deruta styles of ceramics.

On Amalfi Coast I found better prices in Amalfi than in Positano; Ravello has several excellent ceramics shops as well. Lemons are a key theme, as they reflect the area's agriculture.

I have heard great things about Deruta and will go there next trip.

In Assisi there are a couple of excellent shops around the corner from the train station toward Santa Maria Degli Angeli church.
Old Jul 27th, 2016, 05:14 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Umbria: UBaldo Grazia in Deruta has beautiful pieces and dates back to 16th century. I voight several pieces, shipped them home and they arrived in perfect condition.