Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

where to exchange money after chunnel trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 08:37 PM
Tom

I will be taking the channel tunnel from Waterloo station to Gare du Nord. When I arrive in Paris, I will need FF to pay for a taxi ride to my hotel. Is there somewhere inside the train station that I can exchange a few pounds for FF?? After that I assume going to a bank would be the best deal as far as exchange rate, etc... <BR> <BR>Additionally, would someone have an idea what it would cost in FF for a taxi ride from Gare du Nord to the Hotel Balcons in the 6th? <BR>Many thanks!

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 08:51 PM
clairobscur

<BR> I think you indeed can exchange money at Gare du Nord, but I'm not sure. Others will certainly know better than me. <BR> Concerning the taxi ride, I would guess it will cost something like 50-80FF, but it depends on the traffic, number of luggages,specific spot in the 6th,etc...

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 09:13 PM
elvira

I know there's an ATM, but I haven't used an exchange bureau in a couple of years so don't know if or where there's one at the station.

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 12:36 AM
Elaine

Why not change your money in London before you get on the train?

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Patrick

I've used the ATM inside the station everytime we've arrived by Eurostar. If on the other hand you didn't manage to use up your pounds and want to exchange them for francs, you might as well do it at the Change bureau in Gare du Nord or at Waterloo, it's a toss up. Either one will be a lousy exchange rate, but if you're only doing a few pounds. . . .

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Jerald

There is an ATM there, I've used it myself & if you use a debit card you get the best rates. Try to avoid exchanging money, every one gets a commission & you get poor rates. Taxi's are outside & you can get most places around Paris in or around the 50FF range however they charge 6FF per bag additional.