Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

where to eat in London on business account?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 08:47 AM
nativenewyorker

I'm going to London in the New Year and want to know some trendy, buzzy, places to eat. I'll be on an expense account so price isn't really an issue. <BR> <BR>I'd really like to bump into a celebrity! <BR> <BR>-NYer James

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 10:19 AM
Londoner

Oh, you will have a dandy of a time. Plenty of high priced restaurants to choose from. Try Prism in the City. £80 a head! <BR> <BR>Some sites of interest: <BR> <BR>http://www.toptable.co.uk/feature/tabletalk.cfm <BR> <BR>http://www.jetsetting.net/index.php <BR> <BR>http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/scripts/...=best&best=Hot

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 01:04 PM
AVC

Scott's, lots of famous people eat their, Claudia Schiffer lives in a flat nearby.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 01:08 PM
Harrison

We're going to London next week and made reservations at Spoons and the Sanderson, which is Ian Schraeger's new place. I've read reviews that Madonna and her new husband have been spotted eating there (although I figure they'll be on their honeymoon when we're there).

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 01:34 PM
nativenewyorker

all, <BR> <BR>Thank you for your help and on the site suggestions. I read a interesting review on Spoons at the jetsetting site. <BR> <BR>Friend of mine told me he saw Lionel Richie at Thai on the River. Is that any good? <BR> <BR>nyer

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 04:26 PM
londongirl

How about Cog D'argent, Nobu, 1 Lombard, Hush? <BR> <BR>LG

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 12:07 AM
bigmoney

Mr NY, <BR> <BR>The Blakes hotel as a smart, discreet, expensive restaurant. Definetly a celeb drop in. <BR> <BR>Thai on the River is quite nice. Great views. <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 01:33 AM
Kavey

I read a paper article recently about celebrity autograph hunters, apparently they say that Nobu and Ivy are still the best restaurants for celeb spotting... <BR> <BR>And food is supposed to be good too. <BR> <BR>MUST have a reservation or be AAA list to get in without one... <BR> <BR>Apparently... <BR> <BR>Kav

Old Dec 25th, 2000, 05:26 PM
Bryan18

Spoon at Sanderson is icky. Trendy wannabe kids in their evisu jeans and diesel. <BR> <BR>Nobu (Metropolitan Hotel, London) - fantastic Japanese food.. definitely worth it. Food is cheap (pricewise), wine/champagne is expensive. 300 UK pounds for a bottle of cristal. <BR> <BR>The Ivy - hard to get a table, but definitely worth it.. food isnt that good, but the ambience, the atmosphere screams chicness. <BR> <BR>Asia De Cuba (St.Martin's Lane) - since the buzz about this one is finally over, its easy to get a table. Good food, good prices.. fantastic decor.. complete eye candy. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 09:29 AM
xyz

How about Scalini's in Chelsea? Italian fare, tough to get a table, and see and be seen crowd.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 12:33 PM
cheryl

Definitely go to The Ivy. <BR>

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 09:37 PM
richardab

Nobu <BR> <BR>Asia de Cuba <BR> <BR>Spoons <BR> <BR>Circus <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 10:45 PM
carrie

Foilage <BR> <BR>Gordon Ramsey <BR> <BR>Mirabelle <BR> <BR>The Square <BR> <BR>Nobu

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 11:33 PM
Anna

Try The Ivy, Le Gavroche, Le Caprice, Nobu, River Cafe.

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 08:14 AM
kate

The Ivy is London's biggest celeb hang out. Always a crowd of photographers and autograph hunters outside. Any night you could have Madonna on one table and Robert de Niro on the next. I'm going on Monday but then I did book it last April... (no joke). But you could always try phoning for a cancellation. <BR> <BR>Nobu - slightly easier to get into - I got in by booking about 3 weeks in advance and the food is the best I've eaten in my life (and I've eaten a lot).

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 08:18 AM
kate

Forgot to add, don't go to the River Cafe - biggest disappointmnt of my life. What's all the hype about??? Bland food, eighties decor, stuffy middle-aged west london set, and more expensive than Nobu, which is a joke. Definately past its best.

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 08:19 PM
Elsa

I guess we are the only ones, BUT we didn't see what was so great about The Ivy.

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Patrick

Elsa, no you are not alone. Add me to your list. Actually we prefer the Ivy's other place, Le Caprice near Green Park, less hassle, better food, and just as likely to spot celebrities, but not those clamoring for attention. <BR>Nobu is fantastic. And I love Indigo.

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Elsa

Thanks for the advise on the other restaurants. It just so happens we're going to London in a couple of weeks, and we will have to try thosethat you just mentioned. <BR> <BR>BTW - I know it's not the best time to go to LON, but we will be attending a wedding in Dublin. I'll be thankful if we get just 1 nice day at this time of year!

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 08:43 AM
londoner

The River Cafe - Isn't that where the Naked Chef works (Jamie Oliver)? <BR> <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -