Where to eat and experience these European stops

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello again, I got so many tips on my Paris post that I am encouraged to ask for advice again.
From Paris, we are training to Strasbourg and stay for a day. Friends are going to the cathedral and boat ride

Then to Heidelberg for a day. Heidelberg castle

then drive to Zurich & Lucerne. Might hit Geneva too.

Can you suggest places to eat at these destinations? what else can we do aside from visit churches? Unless it is something like St Chapelle, I feel like we would have visited enough churches.
Thanks!
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 07:55 PM

You don't have guidebooks?
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

I do have guidebooks and have been doing a lot of reading but i find other travelers' input more interesting.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 11:50 PM

Driving from Heidelberg to Zurich implies a one-way rental for which you will pay a hefty cross-border drop-off fee. Take the train to Switzerland and rent the car there if you feel a need to drive.

In Strasbourg you can go for choucroute alsacienne or if you wish, there is a restaurant not far from the cathedral and bishop's palace that specializes in cheese; fondue and raclette are popular there-- http://www.fromagerie-tourrette.com/
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 12:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"training" you guys crack me up with your crazy words

Strasbourg centre is very special, so watch out for those bicycles and try not to get a crick in the neck from looking up too much (think Tom and Jerry Mouse in Manhatten). Do take time to try the local wines (often by the glass) especially Pinot Blanc (off dry)
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 01:53 AM

<< "training" you guys crack me up with your crazy words >>

I think about that every time I see someone use the word training to mean take a train. I always think they're training for a marathon or something similar.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 03:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love it "caring" (surely some mistake) or "busing" (some sort of kiss)
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 04:12 AM

You know the saying: In English, any noun can be verbed.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 04:13 AM

"will have seen enough churches". The churches of Germany can be very different from France or Italy or even Switzerland. But to each their own.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 04:47 AM

Well, I like when I read something like "we will be exploring the centre of Florence" - I mean, exploring a place that was already mapped 8 centuries ago and that is visited by 20,000 people daily on average....
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 12:55 PM

When you go to Heidelberg, the castle is the obvious attraction. If the weather is nice, you should walk the Philosophenweg (philosopher's path) on the other side of the river (takes maybe 30-45 minutes). You get a really beautiful view on the old town from there.

There are also fire works on several weekends during the summer called Schlossbeleuchtung and if you happpen to be there at that time, you can buy a beer and sit down on that side of the river to enjoy the view (you can find the dates with Schlossbeleuchtung Heidelberg).

As for dinner, you could try the Kulturbrauerei or the Brauhaus Vettel at the old bridge. Both make their own beer and serve typical regional food. The Kulturbrauerei has a small beer garden outside.

But to be honest, if the weather is good and you want to sit outside to watch people, you should probably just get a free table when you see one
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Hans. I took notes and will keep your suggestions in my cheat sheet.

Michael, I love raclette and fondue so we'll make it a point to try it in Strasbourg and then again in Switzerland.

I am glad to have provided some levity and amusement to the travelers with the liberal use of "training". But everyone knew what I meant, right?
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 02:15 PM

I am planning to do some planing. And I caring to do some carring as well.

And then there is the old training bra, that is if someone is braing.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Nah, needs to be applied selectively and in the right context. Planning on planing is a good one though.
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 02:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You can take a look at my Strasbourg report for some information: http://tinyurl.com/sxb-2012
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 03:07 AM

The best way to find a restaurant that is chock-full of tourists is to go to one of the ones listed in a guide book.

If I am looking for a place to eat and I don't already have a place in mind, I ask a local for their suggestions. I pop into a cell phone shop, music store, clothing store, or the like and ask there because I feel that the employees there are less likely to have a vested interest in sending me to a particular restaurant.
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 03:51 AM

While "maybe" about the guide book and restaurants, but the way we found Le Petit Bistro in Bayeux was in the Michelin Green Guide. SO maybe that guide is not as widely used or "minded" and could be a source. Locals ARE always a possible source.
Just because a place is frequented by tourists does not make it a bad place to eat, in my opinion.
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 04:57 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Strasbourg..for a traditional Alsacienne restaurant ..Le Petit Mairie
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 05:00 AM

While we have found restaurants in guidebooks, I like to search this site for restaurant recommendations. We have seldom gone wrong. Other sources are Chowhound, the New York Times and recommendations from friends. We used to use GOurmet magazine but alas, it is no more. It always gave great suggestions.
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 05:08 AM

Bon Apetit and Food and Wine are good. And yes, personal recs here are always a good source.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -