Where to buy Laguiole knives in Paris ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know where I would be able to purchase Laguiole Knives for the table (Couteaux Laguiole de table Bois Assortis) in Paris, at an attractive price?
They are extremely expensive here in the US, and it must be less in France?
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:36 PM
ira

Hi In,

Have you googled <Laguiole Knives Paris>?
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:20 PM

I don't know about Paris, but you can often buy them at Ross for Less, which would be quite a dissapointment if you had gone to greeat lenghts to get them in France.
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:40 PM

Intex - it is a good question but the answer is not that simple.
The name was never protected with patented so there are fakes galore out there, with the classic shape AND the bee.
Even genuine Laguiole knives are not all the same as the blades are made at their factory but not necessarily the case.
If it is a reasonable price then it probably isn't a Laguiole. The genuine article is really pricey.
So how can you tell?
If it hasn't got the "French knifemakers Federation" logo on the knife then it isn't a Laguiole - but even that isn't a guarantee. It should come with a certificate of authenticity, with the knifemakers name and location on it.
If someone tells you they bought 6 steak knives for €100, they got taken.
A simple, genuine Laguiole corkscrew alone is that price.
Do your homework.
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:45 PM
vivaldi

"A simple, genuine Laguiole corkscrew alone is that price."

People really pay that much for a corkscrew? How much is the wine?

Old May 12th, 2007, 04:02 PM

(Don't worry vivaldi - it's sharp and mommy wouldn't let you play with it)
Intex - I recall seeing a couple of highend knife shops around Opera Garnier (don't remember their names).
As a guess, if you can find a box of six for about €250, you are probably in the right price range.
Remember seeing 6 stainless steel for €9 each at an outdoor market. When you picked one up, you knew what you had in your hand. However in between those prices are some really good reproductions. Go to a good store and pay the bucks if you want the real thing.
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:27 PM
vivaldi

robjame, you use it for more than pulling out corks.

Old May 12th, 2007, 04:32 PM

vivaldi - yes - it is the classic "sommelier" style with the knife and the foil cutter.
It is one of those things that you can feel the quality when you heft it.
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:33 PM

I know they carry Laguiole at E. Dehillerin (18-20 rue Coquillière in the first). They're very friendly there. If they don't have what you're looking for, they'll recommend other places to look. Try e-mailing them for availability and prices.

See http://www.couteau-laguiole.com/index.php?lg=en

There's a 20% promotion until May 14th.
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, I will check out the shops around Opera Garnier, I was going to go to E. Dehillerin anyways, and will check there.
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:26 PM

As Robjame said, the real deal is expensive. You can buy a set of steak knives (and good looking) for $15 at World Market. So be prepared to pay a good price for the good stuff--there are many makers.
Old May 12th, 2007, 07:37 PM

Gretchen: Laguiole Knives for the table (Couteaux Laguiole de table Bois Assortis) is a special set with handles in assorted colors...and there is a set of matching forks.
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:06 PM

djk - I think to be fair,in NA we would describe them as "steak knives" in their shape, utility, sharpness. But come to think of it, have you ever seen a Laguiole with a NA, broader, tableware blade? I haven't.
I find them awkward to use for something in sauce like beef bourguignon but great for fish or staek. The handles are also quite narrow, too. (Would I like a set... YOU BET)
The reason that they are different colors is that each knife handle is made from a different wood. Beautiful.
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The real Laguiole have the BEE logo on the spine, but beware, there are fakes. the blade will have etched on them where they are made.
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:16 PM

Well, my steak knives are J. A. Henckles.

Laguiole Knives for the table (Couteaux Laguiole de table Bois Assortis) are definitely exquisite, but not an investment I would consider.

The OP is looking for a specific product at "an attractive price".
Old May 12th, 2007, 09:29 PM

There is a Laguiole shop either on or right off the Place des Vosges, on the streets that crosses one side of it.

Most Laguiole knifes are no longer made in Laguiole. Many of them are made in the Thiers area.
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:53 PM

Laguiole knives do not always have the bee (or fly) on them! The people who make the fakes have made this myth.

True Laguiole knives have designers such as Sonia Rykiel and Phillipe Starck and their designs do not have a bee on them, but they are still Laguiole.

There are something like seven producers still in Laguiole, and like Michael says, lots of producers in Thiers. But the cheap stuff you see in catalogs and Ross Dress for Less is made in China. The stuff coming out of Thiers is decent, but it is not authentic Laguiole.
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:12 AM

La Carpe (14 rue Tronchet) had a nice selection last time I was there. We bought ours (set of six knives and a separate carving set) at BHV, which also carried a good choice.
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:32 AM

Donna, there are a lot of Laguiole knives and my point was only that there are some very cheap ones as opposed to the "real deal"--in case the OP didn't know that since the "attractive price" was there. I bought some for our DS's as a "picnic knife". They are all very cool.
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:42 AM

This will give you an idea of US prices; there are many manufacturers of Laguiole knives. There are also less expensive ones made in the region of lesser quality materials but those are not what you want. I bought a set of knives made in the region at Zabars in New York. They have the documentation, the bee, and all; they cost about $100 for 6 and are good knives but they are not the top quality by any means:

http://www.laguiole.com/laguiole_tablecutlery.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -