Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to buy jewelry - Florence or Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 06:22 AM
Martina

I want to buy jewelry that is interesting and unique, but not too expensive. I read all of the messages on jewelry, but can't tell whether to buy in Florence or wait until Venice. Should I buy in the markets?

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 10:12 AM
michele

Martina, <BR>Venice has more unique jewery; interesting Byzantine touches, pretty glass beads. <BR> <BR>Florence has more gold. It's gorgeous. I would buy it at a reputable shop. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Jewelry Shopper

Martina: <BR> <BR>When I’ve traveled to Florence alone, I’ve always brought back jewelry for my wife from a very imaginative and very affordable jewelry shop named Freon. It’s just over the Ponte Vecchio in the Oltrarno section of town, on Via Guicciardini. The phone # is 2396504.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 11:16 PM
Margot

Florence has beautiful jewelry, primarily gold, but I vote for Venice if you're looking for interesting, unique and affordable. Your best bet is to visit the island of Murano; there are many stores to chose from & prices are lower than in Venice. The price range is considerable so you can choose between trinket jewelry or more upscale items. Whatever you don't find at Murano, you'll find in the many stores in Venice. Best to avoid stores in the San Marco area; prices are consderably higher than other areas of Venice. I can't remember the stores I liked in Murano, but I (and many others judging by the crowd) like Rialto 79 just past the Rialto bridge. Happy shopping. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 06:11 AM
SharonM

Several years ago I bought a beautiful and unusual cameo in Venice. I don't know if Venice is actually the best place to buy such a piece, as it was probably over-priced, but bought it was!