Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to buy a Visitor Travel Card for London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2001, 01:59 AM
Shannon

I was just wondering if anyone knows if I can buy the London Visitor Travel Card (for the tube and buses) on-line? Thanks!

Old May 16th, 2001, 05:22 AM
JOdy

Hi shannon, <BR>You can by the travelcard on line from the British Tourist Authority, do a web search for BTA and you should find it. However their cards are for all zones and run about $65.00 for a 7 day pass. We always just buy ours at any tube station and get just zones 1and 2 , much cheaper and you will hardly ever go outside of those 2 zones. If you do all you have to do is pay a small supplemnt. I think we paid about $25.00 for a 7 day at the tube station, you can even put it on your credit card.

Old May 16th, 2001, 05:33 AM
mary lewis

You can get visitor travel cards for only zones 1 and 2 before you go - we have done it twice - am looking for the information now. We prefer to get ahead of time - one less line to wait in during vacation!

Old May 16th, 2001, 05:38 AM
mary lewis

Here is the link - where you can buy both zones 1-6 and zones 1-2 passes. They promote a "coupon" booklet also with the passes - we actually found the booklet quite useful and used about half the coupons to save some decent $$. <BR>http://www.britainontrack.com/passes/london.html <BR>Also - for future reference - I found this site quite easily - went to Alta Vista and typed in a search for "London Visitor Travel Card"

Old May 16th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Lee

The easiest place to buy the London Visitor travel card and all the Britrail products is the Rail Europe website at www.raileurope.com <BR> <BR>It's quick and gives lots of great options for rail passes and short tours. <BR>You can also get Eurostar (the chunnel train) info and tickets as well.

Old May 16th, 2001, 08:45 AM
David White

Most online services (including Britian on track, Rail Europe, etc.) add a service/handling fee for purchasing a Visitor Travel Card. Believe it or not, if you are using a travel agent, or an airline travel service, they may be able to sell you a Visitor Travel Card without the extra fee. In reality, they sell a voucher that you exchange for the actual card at one of several Undergroud stations in London. <BR> <BR>If you wait until you get to London, there are weekend, daily, and other pass combinations that may suit you just as well as the Visitor Travel Card. Some can be purchased for only zone 1--which is where most tourist attractions are located. <BR> <BR>For overall info on various passes, take a look at the London Transport website: <BR> <BR>http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk/ftt_visitor.shtml <BR> <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR> <BR>David White <BR>http://www.KidsToLondon.com <BR>[email protected] <BR>

Old May 16th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Shannon

I just wanted to say thanks for all the information. Now I know what to do!