Reload this Page >

Where to begin? Novices Need Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 03:16 PM
NMNovice

Sorry this seems lengthy, but....<BR>We'll be traveling to Europe from Albuquerque, New Mexico, early July for 2 weeks. WE know nothing about international travel, but are eager to learn!<BR>We have a friend and his family staying in Copenhagen Jan2002-Aug2002, so we want to enjoy several days(3 probably)there with them, but we also want to see as much as we can comfortably see in the remaining days. We're thinking maybe Norway, Denmark, Germany, Paris, Amsterdam. Any suggestions on "must-see destinations" or "novice guidebooks" or "recommended travel agents" would be greatly appreciated... We are budget-minded and have some flexibility, therefore, I'd like to know the cheapest way to get to Europe... In other words, does it matter at all from which U.S. city one departs and/or to which European city one arrives (initially) when trying to save money? Also,(without particular consideration to the expense), are there airlines to avoid and/or airlines that are more desirable for the international flight?<BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 03:55 PM
xx

10 days is not enough time to travel through Demark, Germany, Paris & Amsterdam. Pick 2-3 major destinations. Consider an "open-jaw" plane ticket that will let you fly into one city and fly out of another. In Germany, Berlin, Cologne, Munich are wonderful destinations. Add a cruise down the Rhine and a stop at some castles and you can easily spend 10 days here. FYI: Copenhagen to Amsterdam is at least a 10-11 hour train ride. Copenhagen to Berlin is 8-9 hours on a direct train.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Sue

Dear NMNovice, where there's a will, there's a way. How about flying in to Copenhagen, train to Cologne (9 hr--1 change), train to Amsterdam (2 1/2 hrs), train to Paris (4 hrs), fly out of Paris.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Rex

I just posted a somewhat lengthy answer to your "other" post on essentiallt this same subject. Since there are only two posts there, I willcopy that post to this thread. It serves little purpose, and irritate some people to have these two parallel threads on such similar questions (slightly different aspects of the same trip).<BR><BR>Now that I read that the first goal is Copenhagen, I'll recommend skipping Norway - - and if you don't want to do that, then skip any two of the other three.<BR><BR>And while I value Sue as fellow "regular" here, I would not recommend Cologne - - even though I love it. Out of your way. I'll stick with my earlier recommendation for Lubeck and/or Hamburg.<BR><BR>But I might suggest canning all three of the "on the continent" countries. Norway, Denmark and England would make a great trip. Cut your costs of intra-europe transportation a good deal (one of the most overlooked big expense of any Europe trip).<BR><BR>And last of all, I am confused about the dates - - if the friend and family are with you to August, why are you traveling in July?<BR><BR>Three people traveling together could do this trip for as much as $500-800 cheaper (perhaps) in September rather than July.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Rex

Consolidating from your "other" thread about this trip - - and hoping ot can simply "fall to the bottom" (get no more new answers) while this one gets "topped" (again and again) with other new answers.<BR><BR>Definitely, europe gateway matters, London is always a lot cheaper - - and happily it provide an easy plan for you to connect these disparate points. If you had three weeks, I'd say you can do it okay. With two weeks, you're going to have to do some serious short-changing, but still not impossible. I'd say you're stretching way too think if you hope to see more than a tiny sliver of northern Germany.<BR><BR>Partly, it's gonna depend on why (and thus where within) you have chosen N, DK and DE.<BR><BR>But let's assume that could go anywhere in these countries. Maybe you have family, and they'll come part of the way to see you if it's difficult to get to see them.<BR><BR>You fly into London, and then via www.Ryanair.com into Oslo. spend two days in Norway, and connect into Denmark via Braathens airline (or I think there might be one other cheap intra-scandinavian airline).<BR><BR>From Denmark, you can ferry across from Rodby to Putthaven and spend a night or two in Lubeck and/or Hamburg. From Denmark onward, or maybe Germany, you might check into renting a car, though it will be expensive to do a one-way rental into Paris.<BR><BR>That leaves you Amsterdam and Paris. Three nights each.<BR><BR>It's a whirlwind trip with more emphasis on transportation than on the destinations, and as such might be labeled a TERRIBLE plan. It is NOT an itinerary I would recommend for novices - - though I did something not ALL that different on my 10th or 12th trip to Europe (I am now up to 21 trips).<BR><BR>I'll be surprised if you can find a travel agent who will be of any real help to you on this itinerary. It will be an expensive trip, and if done badly, might be a really, REALLY expensive trip.<BR><BR>As for books, you need a dozen or two - - that's what libraries are for. And I urge you to go load up - - with the goal of eliminating the front two or back two of your five destinations.<BR><BR>I hope that you'll come up back here often as your trip plans evolve.<BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Kay

I get an idea of where I want to go. Sounds like you know that. Then I figure out apx. how long I can be gone. Select various destinations, and how I will get to each one. Then I purchase the airfare. After airfare is purchased, I make revisions that fit within that timeline and fill in the details, such as what I want to see and do at each destination. My airfare is usually done many months in advance because I use flyer miles and then I have lots of time to plan and overplan.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 08:53 PM
topper

topping<BR>

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 04:49 AM
One more chance

for the novices<BR>