Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where Should We Stay With 3 Teenagers in Rome and Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 1999, 10:43 AM
Scott McDonald

I've posted a couple of times before looking for "special" places for my wife and I and three teenagers(13,13 & 15) for five days in each of Rome and Florence next summer. I've had some good suggestions(thanks all!), but nothing that really stands out, so I'm taking another whirl at it. We'd like to be in the same or connected rooms and will pay up to $200US. What's your favorite hotel/pensione? We've received info on convent stays, too. Have you stayed at one? Your experience and recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks in advance! <BR> <BR>Scott and Family

Old Nov 30th, 1999, 01:05 PM
Carol

Hi Scott: I think it would be helpful if you could be more specific about what you mean by a hotel that "really stands out"--what does it for you? In Rome, I like small hotels with character and charm in the Campo Fiori/Piazza Navona area--lots of narrow little streets, little stores, tons of tiny restaurants. What do you think you and your family would like?BTW are the teenagers girls or boys or a mixture?

Old Nov 30th, 1999, 02:54 PM
Scott McDonald

Hi Carol...thanks for replying! <BR> <BR>The teenagers are Adam(15) and twins Amy and David(13). We haven't been to Italy before, and are not likely to go again as a family, so I was hoping to make the August, 2000, trip as memorable as possible...including "special" accomodation. We have travelled a fair amount here in Canada and in the US, so have had lots of experience with Sheratons, Hiltons, SlumberLodge, Motel 6, etc, and were hoping to avoid that style of hotel in Italy....I guess we're looking for something that has some Italian personality and charm and is clean, safe and comfy. Here in Canada we normally book a room with two queen beds and add a cot....but I know that's hard to find in Italy. We have stayed in Bed and Breakfasts here, but have had absolutely no experience with their European counterparts. We're very open to the suggestions of the experienced family travellers here on the forum, and as Italo-rookies, welcome all advice and suggestions that will make our trip great. <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help! <BR> <BR>Scott and Family

Old Dec 1st, 1999, 07:16 AM
AJ

Scott, we've been to France and Italy several times, and we took our three boys to Europe in March. In Rome, we stayed at the Grand Hotel Plaza on via del Corso. There is a website, and we got a fairly good internet rate. Still, we took two rooms, and I think the total was closer to $350 per night. The rooms were very large, with high ceilings and open windows. We love this classic old Roman hotel, although it is a bit worn around the edges. <BR> <BR>In Florence, I would strongly recommend the Loggiato dei Serviti, and ask for the two level family suite. It looks out over Piazza Annunziata, which is a great place for your teenagers to hang out. There are lots of students there. The upstairs has a large bed and a bathroom, and is open to the downstairs. The downstairs has another large curtained bed, in a somewhat separate area, and there is a sitting room and bathroom, as well as plenty of room for more beds. The hotel used to be "lodging for the servants of God", and looks like and faces a Brunellesci building across the piazza. Michaelangelo's David at the Accademia is literally straight behind you. This is my favorite hotel for a classic Florentine experience. I hope your teens enjoy the trip. My guys loved Florence and Rome.

Old Dec 1st, 1999, 08:51 AM
Carol

Hi Scott: <BR> <BR>It gets very hot (in the 90's)in Rome and Florence in August (and Florence has lots of mosquitos). If I were you, I'd definitely go for a place with air conditioning and charm--emphasis on a/c. In Rome, try the Hotel Locarno, the Santa Chiara, and the Cesari. In Florence, try the Hermitage. BTW, check out the hosted forum this week--it's on Rome and very good.

Old Dec 26th, 1999, 08:45 PM
tommyboy

try the Atorre near the Duomo...family rates and clean.

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 04:15 AM
Karen

Have you considered an apartment rather than hotels, since you are staying in just two cities? My teenager loved the freedom, in Rome, of a couch to flop on and Italian-language TV to explore. He also liked having access to food at all times in our own kitchen, and became comfortable in a couple of days with making his own trips to the coffee bar and neighborhood grocer for provisions. He opted out of just one or two evenings out with the adults, in favor of more sleep, and everyone could follow their own morning schedule more easily, since breakfast was whenever each one felt like having it. I'm glad we did it this way.