Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where should we spend our last night in Switzerland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 05:00 PM
Marsha

After skiing in the Wengen area we have one day to site see back toward the Zurich airport. We plan to see Gruyere, Murten, etc. but we need lodging close enough to the airport for two of us to meet an early morning flight the next day. Would love to stay somewhere with atmosphere; but, close to airport transportation. Any suggestions?

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 05:26 PM
Ed

Don't know how early your flight is, but I generally recommend Luzern. Only 75 minutes from the airport train station, and an excellent destination in its own right. <BR> <BR>Ed <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com <BR>

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 09:27 AM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Marsha <BR>I would stay in Zurich probably at the <BR>HOTEL KINDLI, the last night and have <BR>a fine dinner at Bindella, Bierhalle <BR>Kropf or the Cantinetta Antinori, which <BR>we will be doing about mid-November, <BR>which is our last night in Europe. <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, Il.. <BR>A taxi will get you to the airport in <BR>a half hour or less <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, IL&gt;.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 05:45 PM
Roger & Amy

Marsha, Lucerne is a must. We spent our first night in Switzerland in Lucerne at the Hotel Krone (nice, quiet, not far from the train station) and did not get to spend enough time in Lucerne. After moving on to Rome, Florence and Munich, we cut our trip a day short to go back to Lucerne and stay at the Hotel Gutsch. It is a beautiful chateau high on the hill with a spectacular view of Lake Lucerne and the Swiss Alps. The rooms were reasonable (@$125 American) and well worth the trip back. The taxi back to the train was about $20 or you could take the vernicular down and walk to the train station which was not far away. The train takes you right to the Zurich airport in about 40 minutes. Have fun!

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 12:54 PM
Diane Moll

I totally agree, Luzerne. It's a wonderful small city, lots to see and some very good restaurants. Since we travel by train, we even checked our luggage through to our final destination via the Zurich airport upon arrival at the Luzern rail station. Didn't have to lug bags around Luzerne or check them into a locker for departure next morning. I was leary never having done this before, but all arrived safe and sound in Washington, D.C. Enjoy!

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 03:57 PM
ken

We just returned from 3weeks there. Spent the last nightin Zurich at the hotel Alexander on Neiderorfstrasse in the heart of the old city. The hotel has a separate building called " The Guest House" which is not a house but a small hotel.The rooms are adequate and clean. The price was 140 CHF which was about $ 84.OO US and included a breakfast! which was better than I ever had at the Hampton Inns in the US. The street is smack dab in the heart of wonderful resturants and little pubs that were alive on the Wednesday night we were there.Get there early in the day and see some of the marvelous churches and a great museum.Their e-mail address is [email protected]

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 04:04 PM
Ken

Further info. The Alexander is a 10 minute (max) walk to the station. Trains run every 15 minutes to the airport which leaves you right under it. You take the esculator or elevator up and your there! Cost from Zurich main station 5.40 fr. if you use it within 2 hours. Enjoy!

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 01:35 PM
Mike

You might consider the Rheinhotel Fischerzunft (spelling?) in Schaffhausen It's a member of Relais et Chateaux. It is certainly different! If you do choose it, I wouldn't want to spoil it for you, but it has interesting rooms, with very interesting bathrooms (or maybe I'm just very parochial), and very interesting food - a lively and unusual east-west fusion. There are the waterfalls in Schaffhausen for you to while away a couple of hours. Zurich is close and easy. We stayed there on the way into and out of the airport.

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 06:12 PM
marsha

Dear Mike: How close is Schaffhausen to the airport? What method of transporation would you use to get to the airport from the Rheinhotel Fischerzunft? The area sounds interesting and I like Relais et Chateaux. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 12:44 PM
Mike

We drove. It is due north, virtually on the German border (QED the Rhine Falls). In those terms, Lucerne would be more convenient. Schaffhausen is a decent sized town, so rail would be viable (probably via Zurich). You drive through a tiny bit of Germany on the way (like San Marino), but otherwise it is easy driving. The Relais web site is quite good (www.relaischateaux.fr), with small maps. It is 40km from the airport. If you are not travelling by car, however ...

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 01:33 PM
Ed

Generally I'd prefer Luzern as earlier said. <BR> <BR>Schaffhausen, though, is moderately pleasant. Actually closer to the airport (distance and timewise) than Luzern. <BR> <BR>According to www.rail.ch it's 55 minutes from the airport by train with a change in Winterthur. (Hourly departures at :37.) <BR> <BR>There's a 49 minute trip leaving at :09 but it requires a change to a bus (with a small walk) in Buelach. <BR> <BR>Note, though, that Winterthur is only 25 minutes from the main Zuerich train station. There are perhaps 6 trains an hour on that run ... nonstop ... , and at least that many hourly between the main station and the airport ... meaning you can plan on leaving Winterthur whenever you like and get to the airport train station within 60 mintues. <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 01:59 PM
roger

Marsha, <BR> <BR> Hands down, Lucerne. The most beautiful place on this earth. <BR> <BR>Roger