Reload this Page >

where should i stop in france

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 1998, 10:42 PM
jay

we r going to be driving from nice to paris by way of lyon, ville-de-franche,beaune, & dijon over only two and a half days....what places and sites are must sees and what is over-rated? how much am i going to spend on tolls if i take the toll roads? how long a drive am i talking about? any suggestions or commenets would be appreciated!

Old Feb 3rd, 1998, 08:41 PM
michael

Hi:

On that timetable (and I have done that timetable) you are going to have to make the driving your destination. Not that this is so bad. For example, you can get off the autoroute for stretches of your trip through Burgundy to get a flavor of the countryside (which is lovely) and maybe even take in a vineyard or two. (But don't wine sample too much when driving!!!) Even though the "departmental" (spelling??) and "nationale" routes (which are indicated on maps by the letters D and N, much like our "I" for interstate) run parallel to the highspeed autoroutes, there are dramatic differences in the scenery that you take in. If you want to see a little of Burgundy, veer off the highway near Chassagne-Montrachet and its neighboring towns. For overnights I love Lyon (eat at Orsi if you can, but be prepared for a major food event!), and then Avignon or Aix. The tolls, if I had to guess (it has been several years) will come to somewhere around $50-60. Gas will be much higher -- my guess is $150 representing 3 or 4 fill ups.

Old Feb 4th, 1998, 05:09 AM
Jens

I second the suggestion to visit Lyon. It's a charming town - perhaps the most charming of the larger French towns. Look over the Vieux Lyon and the roman ruins. As for restaurants, this is "the stomach of France", just avoid the rue Merciere and rue des Maronniers - too many tourist traps. For a really well prepared meal in the best French tradition at a reasonable price - even less than 100 FF for the menu - and in pleasant not too posh surroundings, try Le Tramassac in the rue du Tramassac. It's in the Vieux Lyon, close to the "funiculaire".

Old Feb 4th, 1998, 03:22 PM
Abbie

These are all great suggestions for Lyon. Does anyone know of a good place to stay in Lyon for under 250F?
Also, which areas are the best to stay in?

Old Feb 4th, 1998, 03:28 PM
Abbie

These are all great suggestions for Lyon. Does anyone know of a good place to stay in Lyon for under 250F?
Also, which areas are the best to stay in?

Old Feb 5th, 1998, 06:05 AM
karen

There is a promotion through Greater Lyon Office du Tourisme called, "Bon Weekend a Lyon" - over 40 hotels (of varied price range) offered two nights for the price of one on weekend nights (when the business travelers clear out). We stayed at the 4-star "Hotel Royale" right on Place Bellecour - our quiet room on the top floor, with balcony overlooking the Place and views off to the basilica on the hill, was terrific. All for what ended up costing around $60 per night! Staff could not have been more helpful. The promotion also offered 2-for-1 rates on guided tours, boat tours, etc. Webpage: www.mairie-lyon.fr